Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Free Agents and Arbitration eligibles...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds Free Agents and Arbitration eligibles...

Free agents, arbitration

From Rob Butcher:

Arbitration eligible
    Phillips
    Belisle
    Cantu
    Saarloos
    Ellison

Free agents
    Milton
    Guardado (option)
    Hatteberg (option)
    Dunn (option)
    Valentin (option)
    Bellhorn

ARBIRTRATION
    Phillips - duh...
    Belisle - shouldn't command much, I guess I'd keep him around, but wouldn't be heartbroken if they didn't
    Cantu - keep him. I like his stick; servicable on the field.
    Saarloos - no thanks...go far far away
    Ellison - no thanks...go far far away

FREE AGENTS
    Milton - FINALLY!!! Off the books!!!
    Guardado's option - I wouldn't touch it...not $3 Million
    Hatteberg's option - I'll take my chances with Votto and Cantu - thanks for everything Hatte!
    Dunn's option - they'd be pretty stupid not to pick it up
    Valentin's option - I guess so....he can at least hit..I'll be fair, he became a better catcher with some consistant PT - how much is it?
    Bellhorn - nice knowing you...actually, it really wasn't.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-04-2007 at 04:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Free Agents and Arbitration eligibles...

Valentin's option is $1.3 Million ($75,000 buyout).

I think we ought to pick up Hatte's option - very affordable and then consider moving him. We might as well get something for having the rights. I can't say for sure this will pay off, but I think it's a low risk gamble ($1.85 Million option, $150,000 buy out).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Reds would have to be absolute morons to not offer Belisle Arb.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

I think we ought to pick up Hatte's option - very affordable and then consider moving him. We might as well get something for having the rights. I can't say for sure this will pay off, but I think it's a low risk gamble ($1.85 Million option, $150,000 buy out).
    agreed. Move the Hatte for whatever we can get for him, but don't let him go for free. Worse case scenario, we got a high OBP guy and good veteran clubhouse presence coming off the bench.
    Go BLUE!!!

Didn't think of that, not a bad option....but I think they would ask Hatteberg that if he were to be a bench guy, would he want to stay?

He deserves that respect. He may rather retire or try to find a starting or platoon role with another team, than stay here and sit on the bench.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hatteberg is basically $1.6 more to keep him. Trade him and he costs nothing. Trade him midseason and you only pay the pro-rated salary. While the bench will be tight, I think it would be smart to maximize the return on an asset.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I look for Saarloos and Ellison to be non-tendered.

And don't be surprised if Eddie Guardado's option is picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Didn't think of that, not a bad option....but I think they would ask Hatteberg that if he were to be a bench guy, would he want to stay?

He deserves that respect. He may rather retire or try to find a starting or platoon role with another team, than stay here and sit on the bench.
    I think there was a report near season's end where he told one reporter that he'd prefer they not pick up the option if he's going to be a back-up (which I think he presumes he would be). He made clear though that he understands that he signed the contract he did and was willing to accept that should it come to that.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think there was a report near season's end where he told one reporter that he'd prefer they not pick up the option if he's going to be a back-up (which I think he presumes he would be). He made clear though that he understands that he signed the contract he did and was willing to accept that should it come to that.
    Saw that too. I wonder if there's anybody out there who wants him cheap and would flip us a C level prospect for him.

- Boston if they let Lowell walk. Though I imagine they'd set their sights higher.
    - Giants. Maybe he can platoon with Aurilia again.
    - Mets. No way they exercise Delgado's option.
    - Rangers. Have Salty and Laird and have stated they aren't looking for mediocre options.
    - Tigers. Looking for a replacement for Casey.
    - Yankees. Nobody wants Giambi playing everyday, but he hits better there and they have 4 OF for 3 spots as it is.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 10-04-2007 at 05:32 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Belisle is a no brainer, he's out third baest starter. A DIPS ERA around 4.50 is pretty good for the money. Should improve.

Hatteberg is a no brainer also, even if its just to trade him.

Cantu..depends on what he might get, buy probably.

I think Cantu is a no-brainer also. He'll be pretty cheap considering he spent most of year in minors. He'll also settle before going to hearing.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Belisle is a no brainer, he's out third baest starter.
    That's the problem, and will be one next year if he still is by default...becuase that would mean the Reds didn't do squat to bolster their rotation.

Stick him back in the bullpen....he may have more consistantcy there.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-04-2007 at 05:14 PM.

If the Reds don't offer Belisle arbitration, then something is wrong.

He's the biggest no brainer on that list next to Phillips and Dunn.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Saw that too. I wonder if there's anybody out there who wants him cheap and would flip us a C level prospect for him.

- Boston if they let Lowell walk. Though I imagine they'd set their sights higher.
    - Giants. Maybe he can platoon with Aurilia again.
    - Mets. No way they exercise Delgado's option.
    - Ragners. Have Salty and Laird and have stated they aren't looking for mediocre options.
    - Tigers. Looking for a replacement for Casey.
    - Yankees. Nobody wants Giambi playing everyday, but he hits better there and they have 4 OF for 3 spots as it is.
    Actually the way I read it, sounded to me like Hatte was a good short term solution for Texas. 1.85 Million seems to be right up there alley here until Mayberry and/or Chris Davis may be ready. 1.85 isn't bad for a starting 1B who actually has some value as a consistent performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The philosophy makes it more likely the Rangers will pursue a center fielder on a long-term deal and that right field and first base, two other holes identified by manager Ron Washington and Daniels, would either be filled from within or on inexpensive short-term deals.

But the Rangers don't necessarily feel the need to get a long-term answer at either spot, with John Mayberry Jr. and Chris Davis (who could move back from third to first) excelling in the minor leagues. David Murphy, perhaps a Rusty Greer starter kit, might present the best cost-effective option. Nelson Cruz, who failed two auditions this season but who has fewer than 500 career at-bats, could also get a longer look.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Dunn (option), Phillips (arbitration), Belisle (arbitration), Hatteberg (option), Cantu (arbitration), and Valentin (arbitration) are the guys I'd bring back.

Dunn and Phillips are obvious, and I'd actually look to extend Dunn long term beyond the 2008 option (or scrap the 2008 option and sign him long term anyway).

Belisle pitched quite a bit better than the traditional pitching metrics indicate, and that should help keep his salary very much in the bargain range. The Reds should get him fairly cheap next season, and he's a guy I'm looking at possibly putting up numbers similar to an average MLB starter.

Cantu should be cheap, and even though I loathe his offensive game (lack of walks), the team could really use a right-handed bat off the bench who can start a handful of games at first base.

I'm not a big fan of Valentin by any means, but there's a dearth of catchers out there and the only in-house option is well ... David Ross. Perhaps a guy like Hanigan can step up, but I probably wouldn't look to dump Valentin and depend on Hanigan or somebody else popping up. Plus, even though the Reds called up Hanigan, they rarely used him, which to me is an indicator that they don't consider him much more than a third string catcher or possibly a backup at best.

Hatteberg's the interesting one to me simply based off what he's supposedly stated about hoping to get a shot starting somewhere. If I'm the Reds, I'm trying to contact Hatteberg and his agent in an effort to persuade him to stay around beyond his playing years. What I'd like the Reds to do is pick up Hatteberg's 2008 option, start him sparingly/insurance policy for Votto, and let him become one of the NL's premier pinch hitters. If Hatteberg and Cantu are both on the bench, then the bench strength would be significantly improved.

Furthermore, I'd like to know what kind of longterm plans Hatteberg has. He's a guy I'd like to see kept in the organization in some capacity beyond his playing days. The best case scenario would be to transition him from starter (2006-07) to bench player (2008-??) to some front office/coaching position after retiring. Of course, the key would be to get him off the active roster and into a coaching spot/front office spot before he turns into a Juan Castro, but I doubt it'd get to that.

Saarloos, Ellison, Milton, Guardado, Bellhorn ... don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?