Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why we want the Cubs to lose......and lose badly

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Why we want the Cubs to lose......and lose badly

This is at GABP.

Go Snakes....sweep these guys!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why we want the Cubs to lose......and lose badly

I need them to win one game. I've got tickets to Sunday's game and if they're swept, I won't be able to go.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I hate the cubs but Reds fans could have been in those seats if they had wanted.
    Go Gators!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I don't want them to infest Coors Field if the Rox advance to the next round. D'back fans, by contrast, don't travel well, preferring instead to remain in their air conditioned 1960's ranch houses.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

There's a part of me that got attached to watching those lovable losers so much on WGN in the late 70's and early 80's...that wouldn't mind seeing it won for Ivan DeJesus, Dick Tidrow, Bobby Murcer, Barry Foote, Keith Moreland, Pat Tabler, Rick Reuschel et al.

/shrug
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Sorry. Not me. I live in a place far from Chicago, but we have a few Cubs fans even here. They are the most obnoxious, rude, non-baseball intelligent, and undesirable idiots when it comes to baseball.

Go down Cubbies. Hard.

What is it with ppl who watched the Cubs on tv growing up, and they automatically gravitate to them to this day because of it? I watched the Cubs just about every single day of summer vacation when I was a kid, knew all the nicknames that used to flash on the screen when their players came to bat, listened to Harry Carey oggle Marla Collins and swill beer all afternoon, watched an endless array for tone deaf celebrities come into the booth day after day to pledge their alliegence to the lovable losers just like millions of others. I enjoyed the games because it was baseball, and if you tuned in every day you got to see every team in the National League.

But, it never crossed my mind even once to become a fan. Not even on a secondary level to the Reds. I have never, ever understood the phenomenon of the Cubs, though I think it largely has to do with their "celebrity" from being on the Superstation every day. I never will understand it, and that is what has made them the most irritating franchise in baseball today.

When the Cubs won their division in 1984, it seemed like NBC's Saturday afternoon game of the week was Cubbies, every week.
    It was that year, I had officially become sick of them. It continues this year.
    Seeing them getting spanked by Arizona so far is quite nice.

I like Sweet Lou, and I admire the talents of many of their players, but their fans started annoying me in the '70s when it seemed that every homestand we spent in Cincy included a Cubbie series and their obnoxious fans.
    Let's play two!!!

I hate them and only wish that the players on the Reds roster felt as I did.

They have the same color on their uniform as the Dodgers (blue).

WGN announcers (Stone and Carey) really made me want to hate them even more.

I lost any of the respect I did have for them- which wasn't much- after what the fanbase and media did with Bartman. After what happened they show where the guy lives on the news???

I felt sorry for the guy.

I really wish they were in another division because of the huge amounts of money they are now investing (300+mil overall?), and rumors that they are ready to spend even more. They may make an early exit this post season - but look how far they have come since last year - and if they are willing to spend the money to acquire/fill those needs, then how are the other teams in this division suppose to compete? Not saying they can't; but it sure makes it harder when one organization can throw the money around to acquire the players and you're not able to.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

They made me stay up till 2 a.m. watching their game last night. Now I'm tired. Stupid Cubs.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

If hating the Cubs is wrong, I don't want to be right
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

The Chicago Cubs: the favorite team of people who don't like baseball.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Let's see. . .
    I think little "cubs" (baby bears) are cute in a zoo.
    I like Cub Cadets.
    I was once a Cub Scout and liked it.

So, it follows naturally that I
    HATE THE STINKING CHICAGO CUBS!!!

Hey, a guy's gotta maintain a healthy balance of things, right?

---'Roser

Turn Off Ads?