Ellison

Free agents
    Milton
    Guardado (option)
    Hatteberg (option)
    Dunn (option)
    Valentin (option)
    Bellhorn

These will be the players who are eligible for arbitration and will become free agents in the off-season. One thing that surprised me is that I thought Majewski was eligible for arbitration, but he didn't show up on the list

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Free agents and arbitration-eligible players

Besides Dunn and maybe Guardado, there don't seem to be too many tough choices there. Besides those two, which have been discussed ad nauseum, the next hardest decision might be what to do with Belisle. Just because he's had even a glimpse of success and he's a pitcher he'll get a huge raise in arbitration. The question becomes is it worth it? I'm on the fence on this one. Based on what we saw/didn't see in September, I thine they have to offer it. It's just too bad guys like Dumatrait didn't perform better in the bigs.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

We better not pick up Guardado's option. Let him go and when nobody wants him, offer him a minor league incentive laden deal. Or let him know you're not picking up the option but guilt him into taking the minor league incentive laden deal.
    Who's on first?

I imagine Philips, Cantu, and possibly Belisle will get arbitration. Let's all say good-by to Saarloos and Ellison. Milton and Bellhorn will be let go, Dunn will have his option picked up, Hatteberg and Valentin might have their options picked up, and Guardado will not have that 3.5 million option picked up, but the Reds would seek to sign him to a minor league deal laden with incentives. I suspect Guardado might seek greener pastures though.

I seriously hope they don't pick up Guardado's option. He is a good pitcher, but 3.5 million is too much of a risk. I think we could get him for a million a year with incentives.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Phillips will probably make some cash on his arbitration

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    Phillips will probably make some cash on his arbitration
    Yeah, that's where most of the money we get back from Milton is going to go. Hopefully they do the smart thing and lock him up.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I would expect Hatteberg and Valentin's option to be picked up. I think Hatte's is only like 1.25 mil which is a steal for a guy like him.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post
    I would expect Hatteberg and Valentin's option to be picked up. I think Hatte's is only like 1.25 mil which is a steal for a guy like him.
    I agree that Valentine's will be picked up. I think the Reds should leave it up to Scott if he is to come back. I know he says that he would come back if they picked up the option, but you don't want someone here who doesn't want to be here.
    -LTlabner

Hatteberg's option is actually 1.85 million; however it is still a steal for what he gives us.

I think Hatte's is only like 1.25 mil which is a steal for a guy like him.
    Too bad the Reds have two young first basemen that are pretty good. This is going to be a tough decision for Wayne.

sounds like there might be a good bit of new faces come next season then
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Turn Off Ads?