Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

  1. #1
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Yesterday, the e-mail went out in my office that one of the employees in the division is collecting money for "Boss's Day" on October 16. Everyone was asked to give $20 ($10 per boss) to throw in for buying a card and group gift for both bosses.

    Am I the only person that thinks this "Holiday" is a total crock? Not to sound like a total troll, but I'm being asked to give money to buy a gift for someone who makes roughly double my salary just because they happen to be in a position of authority over me. Adding insult to injury, its not like you can just decline to throw money in without looking like a cheap jerk.

    I like my bosses a lot, but I don't see why we need a holiday, complete with collection & card, to celebrate the fact that they are in charge of me and my co-workers. You'd think the other 364 days of "Yes Sir," "No Sir," and "I'll get right on that" would be enough.

    Rant over.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yesterday, the e-mail went out in my office that one of the employees in the division is collecting money for "Boss's Day" on October 16. Everyone was asked to give $20 ($10 per boss) to throw in for buying a card and group gift for both bosses.

    Am I the only person that thinks this "Holiday" is a total crock? Not to sound like a total troll, but I'm being asked to give money to buy a gift for someone who makes roughly double my salary just because they happen to be in a position of authority over me. Adding insult to injury, its not like you can just decline to throw money in without looking like a cheap jerk.

    I like my bosses a lot, but I don't see why we need a holiday, complete with collection & card, to celebrate the fact that they are in charge of me and my co-workers. You'd think the other 364 days of "Yes Sir," "No Sir," and "I'll get right on that" would be enough.

    Rant over.
    It's total crap.

    I never gave when I had a "boss" job. Now I have no "boss" that I'm truly beholden to.

    Yeah, it's total lickspittle top-down garbage.

  4. #3
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,817

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Completely agree. Every day is Boss's Day. Go buy your own card. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  5. #4
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,580

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Tell your Boss you made a donation in his name to the Human Fund!

    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #5
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    It's too much like paying tribute to the king in days of yore.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. #6
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It's too much like paying tribute to the king in days of yore.
    Except feudalism was probably more merciful to the worker (relative to the times and technology) than capitalism.

    The king was in the gated community with the serfs at least.

  8. #7
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,838

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    So when is the Worker Bee Day? And the showering of gifts from people upstream?

    Pay attention to the open sky

  9. #8
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,817

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So when is the Worker Bee Day? And the showering of gifts from people upstream?
    June 32nd.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  10. #9
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,428

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So when is the Worker Bee Day? And the showering of gifts from people upstream?
    I once asked a boss that very question.
    His answer: "Payday."

    Gee...thanks boss. Here's your "Worlds Bast Boss" mug I picked up on the clearance table.

  11. #10
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I once asked a boss that very question.
    His answer: "Payday."

    Gee...thanks boss. Here's your "Worlds Bast Boss" mug I picked up on the clearance table.
    So what does that make *their* payday?

  12. #11
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    I'm a boss.

    I hate the idea.

    (Of Boss Day, that is.)

    I also have a boss. That dynamic could be better. But it could be much worse, too, I guess.

  13. #12
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,381

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Haven't had a Boss Day for a few years now... shhh....

    [of course, it might be because we spend getting them gifts for Xmas - that's a good $60-$80 per employee (4 bosses).]
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

  14. #13
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,738

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    I'm holding out for "rich white man day".
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  15. #14
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    I just don't get buying a boss a gift for their day or Christmas. Then again I work in a union shop. They do whatever they can do get workers to produce more.. I know..that is their job...they want you to work harder to make them look better, as they are all pitted against the other crews, and I'm suppose to show them appreciation?


    Actually, I kind of like most of my bosses.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  16. #15
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,626

    Re: Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm holding out for "rich white man day".
    Every Day is Rich White Mans Day.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25