Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pirates Manager????

New Pirates Manager????

Being a reds fan and living near Pittsburgh, these are the current candidates prominently mentioned to replace Jim Tracey.
    Joel Skinner, Ken Macha, Tony Lavulo and Tony Pena.
    The Pittsburgh Post Gazette ripped Tracey today with an article providing evidence of a total lack of discipline in the locker room.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Pirates Manager????

I hope Tracey isn't a Reds candidate...

No mention of Pete?

My bet's on Pena.

With the new GM being from the Cleveland system, I'd bet on Skinner or their minor league manager LoVulla.

Who cares? No just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    My bet's on Pena.
    why would any team consider pena? he quit the Royals when faced with the slightest adversity. let's get serious.

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    I hope Tracey isn't a Reds candidate...
    Here is another so-called name manager that should be nowhere near a baseball team, let alone a big-league team. All you have to do is read some of his history going back to the Dodgers to see what an empty-headed sap he really is. He went to LA on the coattails of Kevin Malone, I believe, an old pal from the Expos. Malone was promptly bounced and Tracy soon followed. In fact, Dave Littlefield was another old pal of Tracey's who handed him the Pirates job before he even left LA. It was a set up and should be looked into as possible tampering. How's that workin' out for Tracey and the Pirates.

I agree, Tracey has to fade away and go back to delivering newspapers.
    Last edited by ThirdBaseCoach; 10-07-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Most of these guys are re-treads and haven't ever won anywhere. Seems like MLB teams are following the NBA lead and just re-cycling coaches/managers.

If no no other reason, Mackanin may is not being mentioned publicly by the Pirates because he is still a Reds employee thru the end of October. The Pirates would have to ask for and receive the Reds OK to talk to him before 1 Nov. John Fay quoted Pete as telling him this in their phone conversation last week.

So Mack is really twisting in the wind (he used the phrase himself) because he has no idea where he stands with the Reds and can't pick the phone up and call the Pirates or Royals etc. for another 3 weeks.

Wouldn't it be a kick if he ended up with the Cards, regardless of where LaRussa went? The way Mack blended in the young guys during his Reds tenure might make him very attractive to somebody like the Cards who now are apparently committed to building from within.

Well, Tracey did out manage Mack during the only meaningful series the Reds had all year.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Well, Tracey did out manage Mack during the only meaningful series the Reds had all year.

True. Sort of. As I recall the Reds got out of there at 2-2 for 4 games in 3 days. Still pretty sad they could not get a split in the DH. That was Mack's worst moment at a time when he actually had troops to manage. Don't you almost wonder if there wasn't something going on about personnel between Mack and Krivsky about then?

Mack's team did not roll over until it was gutted by injuries. And even in that last week, they still played hard but were just out manned. I don't think you can say the same for Tracy's.

I think some posters have to take a step back from the Pirate series or anything else that they say was meaningful. Take a deep cleansing breath and remember the season was over at the AS break as far as being a contender was concerned. This team could not overcome a 20 game deficit no matter who managed it. As far as I'm concerned, Pete had no low points, the players did.

Pete did a respectable job and deserves a chance with the Reds, Pirates, or any other team that wants a good manager.

Another thing. I would put any manager in my daughter's softball league against Tracey any time any place. Tracey has never out managed anyone.
    Last edited by ThirdBaseCoach; 10-07-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    I think some posters have to take a step back from the Pirate series or anything else that they say was meaningful. Take a deep cleansing breath and remember the season was over at the AS break as far as being a contender was concerned. This team could not overcome a 20 game deficit no matter who managed it. As far as I'm concerned, Pete had no low points, the players did.

Pete did a respectable job and deserves a chance with the Reds, Pirates, or any other team that wants a good manager.

Another thing. I would put any manager in my daughter's softball league against Tracey any time any place. Tracey has never out managed anyone.
    No, I'm pretty sure Tracey did outmanage Pete in the Double header. Just my opinion.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

well ok, mound, you are entitled to an opinion.
    Last edited by Heath; 10-08-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Opinions aren't incorrect, they are just yours.

Turn Off Ads?