Turn Off Ads?

Thread: For manager, why don't we consider...

For manager, why don't we consider...

...Tom Kelly?

He won two World Series with the Twins and seems to be the type of manager that we need. Under his watch, the Twins heavily stressed fundamentals and defense. I remember reading about the epic defensive workouts that he used to run the Twins through everyday, whereas most teams don't even run defensive drills during the season.

It seems like he's been around forever, but he's still only 57. I wonder if he'd be a good fit. Krivsky certainly has connections to the Twins and knows Kelly.

I haven't seen his name mentioned, but he seems an intriguing option who strengths line up with the Reds' weaknesses.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: For manager, why don't we consider...

Tom Kelly has stated over and over that he is not interested in managing again for the time being.

Scratch him off your list.

I'd like to see Davey Johnson come back...

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Tom Kelly has stated over and over that he is not interested in managing again for the time being.

Scratch him off your list.

I'd like to see Davey Johnson come back...
    Hmmm...Davey Johnson has been right there with Tom Kelly in stating he is not interested in managing again.

This is a Johnson quote from a Thomas Boswell article in The Washigton Post:

"I don't particularly like being fired. Didn't like the feeling. I still have enough brain cells connected to remember how things ended up. I told Ken Griffey Sr. that I wouldn't manage again until I was so old I'd forgotten a lot of things."
    You might have to scratch him, also. However, as with any former manager (living of course), I'd never say never.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Mark me down for Ken Macha but I admit I'm not an expert on Manager tendancies until they manage the Reds for a while.

Just recommending Macha on the assumption that some of the Oakland methods may have stuck with him while he was there. If that is wrong please correct me.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Mark me down for Ken Macha but I admit I'm not an expert on Manager tendancies until they manage the Reds for a while.

Just recommending Macha on the assumption that some of the Oakland methods may have stuck with him while he was there. If that is wrong please correct me.
    From what I've heard and read about Macha's time in Oakland, by the end the communication was awful. Backup catcher Adam Melhuse said that Macha had not said a word to him in a couple of months. I'm not sure how that is even possible, so maybe it's overstated, but we certainly don't anymore communication problems in the clubhouse, as we've had quite a few over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Hmmm...Davey Johnson has been right there with Tom Kelly in stating he is not interested in managing again.

This is a Johnson quote from a Thomas Boswell article in The Washigton Post:

You might have to scratch him, also. However, as with any former manager (living of course), I'd never say never.
    If memory serves, Kelly left the Twins because he felt burned out, but he's had a number of years to recharge, so maybe he'd be interested. You never know until you inquire, which is undoubtedly true of all managerial candidates.

It's entirely possible that Joe Girardi may not have any interest in taking the Reds job, but his name still gets kicked around a lot.

I just think Kelly would be an intriguing possibility for the Reds, as he seems to stress fundamentals, defense, and smart baseball. Three areas in which the Reds seem to be consistently lacking.

Personally, I don't think the Reds go anywhere until they substantial improve the defense and maybe Kelly is a guy who can do that.

I heard earlier this year the Orioles were interested in him but he turned them down.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

In a related note, Leo Mazzone may very well be available soon. He came to Baltimore because of Sam Perlozzo, but the situation there has changed on several levels. Mazzone may soon be looking for work. I would consider him a more important signing than any manager.

Johnny Sain was my hero and friend, and he certainly has no living legacy greater than Leo Mazzone. I believe Mazzone is the most valuable coaching/managerial addition the Reds could make at this point.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Cruisin' for trouble

As a favor for a friend, I had a chance to talk to Davey Johnson on the phone between golf shots during a charity tournament in Florida early this year. I've never met Davey and he wouldn't know me from Adam, save for the friend of mine who called me and handed the phone to Davey.

The predominant discussion involved a lot of lingering anger towards Marge and the incident involving his girlfriend. We may have talked for ten minutes, but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of those minutes consisted of that primary subject. That left me with an overall impression that Davey Johnson would never manage the Reds again, even though Marge is gone. Just too much of a bitter taste in his mouth.

Take it for what it's worth - it was a short 10-minute convo, but it would shock me beyond belief if Johnson even considered the position.

Dierker, on his website, said that while he has no real drive to manage again, he would do so if the conditions were right.

I guess that leaves Cincy out then.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Dierker has a website?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    In a related note, Leo Mazzone may very well be available soon. He came to Baltimore because of Sam Perlozzo, but the situation there has changed on several levels. Mazzone may soon be looking for work. I would consider him a more important signing than any manager.

Johnny Sain was my hero and friend, and he certainly has no living legacy greater than Leo Mazzone. I believe Mazzone is the most valuable coaching/managerial addition the Reds could make at this point.
    I like Mazzone too, Spitball. There are a few pitching coaches that seem to be way above the pack. Mazzone, Ray Miller and Dave Duncan all come to mind. While I think that all three of those guys are pitching geniuses, they also have the ability to command their pitchers' trust. For me, that is huge in coaching anybody.

Johnny Sain was a revolutionary pitching coach in his time, and one of the all time greats.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    The predominant discussion involved a lot of lingering anger towards Marge and the incident involving his girlfriend. We may have talked for ten minutes, but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of those minutes consisted of that primary subject. That left me with an overall impression that Davey Johnson would never manage the Reds again, even though Marge is gone. Just too much of a bitter taste in his mouth.

I can't say I'm surprised. Even though Marge is dead and gone and most of the people in the organization then are gone, perhaps he feels the city fathers didn't persuade Marge to keep him on. Just speculation on my part even though obstensibly they shouldn't have any business sticking their noses into it, it's a tight knit community and maybe he feels that some of the big shots could have at least tried to change her mind. Not that it probably would have done any good but maybe he feels that they at least could have tried.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?