Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • ACC

1 1.14%
  • Big 12

0 0%
  • Big East

5 5.68%
  • Big Ten

12 13.64%
  • Conference USA

0 0%
  • MAC

3 3.41%
  • Mountain West

0 0%
  • Pacific-10

7 7.95%
  • Southeastern Conference

56 63.64%
  • Sun Belt

2 2.27%
  • WAC

2 2.27%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Re: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Yes Cincy has risen up but they haven't beaten anyone. The 5-0 record is decieving.
    How is that 6-0 record looking now?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Pretty good from where I am sitting.

The SEC is the best conference in college football and I don't think its that close really. They have the top end teams, and even as you go further down, their depth is just stronger than everyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    While the offense of Pat White, Steve Slaton, and Noel Devine is tantalizing, their main focus is to try and outrun their opponents. That works, when the defenses of other teams cannot react. WVU fans here will make the case that Pat White has a very high completion percentage, but if he threw the ball as much as Andre Woodson, he would be picked off at least twice a game. I would venture to say if WVU played in the SEC that they would be lucky to see the top 25, but you could make the case about Kentucky as well.

That is the major flaw of the Big East, where the defenses are very inadequate. South Florida is the only team this year that has shown a defense out of that conference. All it takes is a quick defense and a coach who can disguise coverage and teams like WVU or Louisville have no chance.
    Really? You don't know much about College football if you don't realize UC has a great defense. They did last year also.

Mike Mickens and Byrd are two of the best players at their positions in the nation. They are loaded.

The SEC hype is just hilarious and it never stops.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pretty good from where I am sitting.

The SEC is the best conference in college football and I don't think its that close really. They have the top end teams, and even as you go further down, their depth is just stronger than everyone elses.
    Really? I'll take Cal and USC over any combination you can find in the SEC. People just buy into hype because of one football game. A game where Ohio State had 51 days off and a overweight, unprepared Qb.

What happened in the other Big Ten vs SEC bowl games? Ohio State has the fastest team on paper in the nation and yet nobody would believe that because of stupid stereotypes. Look at the NFL if you want to argue about the top end Big Ten teams and speed. Compare Ohio State top picks to anyone and it's gonna come out OSU. The NFL likes speed a little.

What team other than LSU is truly great in that conference? Where is this supposed awesome depth? Georgia is terrible. Tennessee got killed by Cal. Auburn? Alabama?

They have two really good teams and a bunch of average ones after that. Sounds like almost every other conference. They just have the hype.
    Last edited by Cedric; 10-07-2007 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Really? I'll take Cal and USC over any combination you can find in the SEC. People just buy into hype because of one football game. A game where Ohio State had 51 days off and a overweight, unprepared Qb.

What happened in the other Big Ten vs SEC bowl games?
    So let me get this straight, the other Big10/SEC bowl games were a true example of which conference is better but the BCS title game doesn't count because Osu had 51 days off compared to Florida's 37?

Do they put that in the media guides? a little * maybe?

SEC hype maybe, but I see a pro big 10 agenda right here.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    So let me get this straight, the other Big10/SEC bowl games were a true example of which conference is better but the BCS title game doesn't count because Osu had 51 days off compared to Florida's 37?

Do they put that in the media guides? a little * maybe?

SEC hype maybe, but I see a pro big 10 agenda right here.
    Did I say that? My point is the only thing you hear about is the Ohio State vs Florida game. NOBODY mentions the other important match ups. If you want to compare conferences then you shouldn't let the media hype be the only thing that is talked about.

I never once said those other bowl games were the true proof of the better conference. I'm just amazed at how good the SEC and CBS do at promoting their conference. Hell, they have their own announcers sound like total homers on the air. I would be embarrassed if I was a fan of one of their schools. Gary Danielson was just hilarious and stupid last year.
    Last edited by Cedric; 10-07-2007 at 02:21 AM.

CBS has the SEC so they promote them, no different then ESPN/ABC and the Big 10/ACC schedule they run with.

Also nobody else in this thread has mentioned LAST year, it's a thread about who is the best right now.
    Go Gators!

PAC 10 is the best, obviously.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    If you want to compare conferences then you shouldn't let the media hype be the only thing that is talked about.
    I don't think the media hype is relevant.

The fact is that I don't think there is a single Big 10 team that would win a best-of 3 series against LSU, Florida, or South Carolina right now...and you could make a pretty good argument for Kentucky being better than the majority of the Big 10 right now.

Down year for the B11, good year for the SEC. This one isn't even close.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I voted the Sun Belt.

Because you can't get enough North Texas & Arkansas State, obviously.

That - and I couldn't choose between the Pac-10 & SEC.

One of the talking heads (Not on CBS) tonight talked about LSU struggling to go undefeated because "The SEC is so tough top to bottom" - then mentioned two minutes later that USC finally was "exposed by a weaker Pac10 squad"

So USC loses to another Pac-10 Squad - it's because they were exposed, yet if LSU can't make it thru the SEC it will be because of the depth of the SEC? Um...sure thing - try and wrap your brain around that logic.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 10-07-2007 at 03:34 AM.

The SEC, no doubter.

I don't know if I'd even give the Big Ten an honorable mention right now. I listened to Lee Corso yesterday say that OSU is as good as, and can play with, any team in the country. Even as a Buckeye fan, all I can say is "Lee, Lee, Lee". They are better than I expected after losing alot after last year, but other than Washington, who have the Bucks played?

And we got powerhouse Kent State next week!

I am impressed though with a young Illinois team.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The SEC, no doubter.

I don't know if I'd even give the Big Ten an honorable mention right now. I listened to Lee Corso yesterday say that OSU is as good as, and can play with, any team in the country. Even as a Buckeye fan, all I can say is "Lee, Lee, Lee". They are better than I expected after losing alot after last year, but other than Washington, who have the Bucks played?

And we got powerhouse Kent State next week!

I am impressed though with a young Illinois team.
    Ohio State's defense is pretty outstanding this year. They just don't let anyone score, and yeah they haven't played anyone really, but I'm still impressed that their highest points allowed is against Washington where they gave up 14. Their other five games they've given up 7 or less.

I came into this year hoping for a BCS bowl, but it looks like the Buckeyes have as much of a chance as anyone to go win a national championship so I figure now is as good a time as any to start looking towards that. I think the Buckeyes are actually a better team than they were last season.

Also going to agree with Cedric that the SEC hype is ridiculous. I do think they are the best conference this year, probably, but it's also been a really weird year in college football, one where I still don't think we have any idea of who the top fifteen teams are in the country. So who knows really.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Ohio State's defense is pretty outstanding this year. They just don't let anyone score, and yeah they haven't played anyone really, but I'm still impressed that their highest points allowed is against Washington where they gave up 14. Their other five games they've given up 7 or less.
    But has their defense really been tested by a solid offense? I listened to some of the "experts" build up last night's game vs Purdue, and that Purdue has the #1 offense in the Big Ten. But they have played the likes of Toledo, Eastern Illinois, Central Michigan, and Minnesota. I knew they were gonna get exposed last night vs the Buckeye's defense.

But just as Purdue's offense was finally shown for what it is. Can the same be said about OSU's defense, which hasn't exactly played any offensive dynamos so far.

I'm not saying their defense isn't good. Just maybe not as good as some are saying.

I came into this year hoping for a BCS bowl, but it looks like the Buckeyes have as much of a chance as anyone to go win a national championship so I figure now is as good a time as any to start looking towards that. I think the Buckeyes are actually a better team than they were last season.
    Not saying they aren't. I came into this season, after seeing all that the Bucks lost after last year, with not too high of hopes.

But then I've been stunned at the stumbling of Michigan this year too, who came in with such high expectations.

But HOW is this year's OSU team possibly better then last years?

Also going to agree with Cedric that the SEC hype is ridiculous. I do think they are the best conference this year, probably, but it's also been a really weird year in college football, one where I still don't think we have any idea of who the top fifteen teams are in the country. So who knows really.
    I look at the Pac-10 and SEC, and right now, I'd say they have better, more talented teams. It's gonna be hard for any team in those divisions to go undefeated because they are going to beat up on each other. I'm not saying that every team in those conferences is solid; but they, IMO, appear to have more talented teams then what I am seeing in the Big Ten right now.

I really don't see anyone in the Big Ten, other then that last game at Michigan, giving OSU much trouble. So that is what I am saying.... OSU could very well run the table and make it into the NC game only to be exposed again.

I guess what I am saying is that I am wary.

But I will admit that they are performing better this year then I expected. Tressel is not playing as conservative. I have been really impressed with their balanced attack and Todd Boeckman's passing efficiency.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The SEC is the most consistently dominant conference. Another conference may on occasion rival the SEC, but year-in, year-out, no other conference has as consistently produced such a great number of quality teams.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It still looks decieving. When the polls come out there will be no wins over anyone in the Top 25 with a signature win over a Rutgers team that has now lost two in a row and has proven it is not the contender folks thought they were.

The Bearcats remind me of Purdue. All kinds of hype as they rip thru a bunch of cream puffs but as soon as they play someone really good they will get ripped apart, just like the Boilers did last night at home to OSU.

Cincy is a nice story but to pretend they have arrived and now are a part of big boy college football is taking it a little too far.

I remember a thread during basketball season about Syracuse's ridiculous out of conference schedule. Well Cincy might have the easiest non conference schedule of any team from a power conference in America.

Oregon State, Marshall, SDSU, Miami OH and SEMo St? Come on. You want to be considered a power, you have to play other powers. There are a ton of teams that could blow through that schedule and also find themselves undefeated at this time.

Turn Off Ads?