Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • ACC

1 1.14%
  • Big 12

0 0%
  • Big East

5 5.68%
  • Big Ten

12 13.64%
  • Conference USA

0 0%
  • MAC

3 3.41%
  • Mountain West

0 0%
  • Pacific-10

7 7.95%
  • Southeastern Conference

56 63.64%
  • Sun Belt

2 2.27%
  • WAC

2 2.27%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Re: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Gosh, sometimes I wonder why we even play the games. Just give the title to an SEC team every year, since they are so inherently superior. Or something to that effect.
    Well if you really feel that way... we could just award the National Championship trophy to the winner of the SEC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I hate to give the Great Pumpkin any credit, but his overall winning percentage at UT is .766.

The Great Woody Hayes at OSU: .742.

Richt at UGa: .776

Houston Nutt? No excuses. He's not real good.
    Dont get me wrong Fullmer was a great coach. However he hasn't been good lately. I didn't look but I would also assume that Lloyd Carr, Paterno, and Bowden have high winning percentages but in today's game none of them provided a distinct advantage over the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Or a I-AA (FCS) fan. We're the ones who actually have a playoff system.

Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

The Big 10 vs. the SEC in bowls over the last 10 years from 1997 to 2006 season:

13 wins, 13 losses.

Not bad, considering 25 of the 26 games were played on SEC turf.

Also, the Big 10 was 0-2 vs. the SEC ten years ago ('97), so once this season's bowl match up's are determined and there should be at least a couple Big 10/SEC match up's (have been 3 SEC/B10 bowls per year 4 of the last 5 years), the Big 10's record over the last 10 years (1998-2007) will be 13-11, plus whatever record they put up this year. So, all they need is one bowl victory over the SEC (this year) to be assured of a winning record over the last 10 years. Over the last 5 years, the Big 10 is 8-6 over the SEC in bowl match up's. 2002 (2-1), 2003 (1-2), 2004 (2-1), 2005 (1-1), and 2006 (2-1).

Ironically, Ohio State's inability to win one of the three bowls against SEC opponents (the last ten years) has not helped debunk the myth of SEC superiority.

Michigan: (4-1)
    Win vs. Arkansas - '98 Citrus
    Win vs. Alabama - '99 Orange
    Win vs. Auburn - '00 Citrus
    Loss vs. Tennessee - '01 Citrus
    Win vs. Florida - '02 Outback

Wisconsin: (2-3)
    Loss vs. Georgia - '97 Outback
    Loss vs. Auburn - '03 Music City
    Loss vs. Georgia - '04 Outback
    Win vs. Auburn - '05 Capital One
    Win vs. Arkansas - '06 Capital One

Penn State: (2-2)
    Loss vs. Florida - '97 Citrus
    Win vs. Kentucky - '98 Outback
    Loss vs. Auburn - '02 Capital One
    Win vs. Tennessee - '06 Outback

Iowa: (2-1)
    Win vs. Florida - '03 Outback
    Win vs. LSU - '04 Capital One
    Loss vs. Florida - '05 Outback

Ohio State: (0-3)
    Loss vs. South Carolina - '00 Outback
    Loss vs. South Carolina - '01 Outback
    Loss vs. Florida - '06 Fiesta (neutral field)

Minnesota: (2-0)
    Win vs. Arkansas - '02 Music City
    Win vs. Alabama - '04 Music City

Purdue: (0-2)
    Loss vs. Georgia - '99 Outback
    Loss vs. Georgia - '03 Capital One

Michigan State: (1-0)
    Win vs. Florida - '99 Citrus

Illinois: (0-1)
    Loss vs. LSU - '01 Sugar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Well if you really feel that way... we could just award the National Championship trophy to the winner of the SEC.
    SEC teams can be beaten and I'm surprised Tressel didn't know how. The formula to beat SEC teams is power football, blow 'em off the ball. Tressel ran way too many spread offensive plays and didn't pound the RB enough. That played right into Florida's strength. Penn State and Nebraska have used this to make SEC teams look weak in Bowl games.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Another thing I hear constantly is how unfair it is that some conferences have a conference championship and how it makes it that much harder to make it to the BCS title game. I remember Urban Meyer crying about this early last year.
    The coaches that talk about this (and it started all the way back in 1992, the very first of those games, when Alabama was sweating a potential loss that would have bumped it out of a chance to meet Miami), I understand where they're coming from. I really do. But...

They don't have a leg to stand on.

Why? Because the problem is entirely self-inflicted. Their conferences chose to play a conference championship game. No one forced them. They chose to give the best teams in the league another potential loss, knowing full well losses are bad when it comes time to decide who plays for the national championship. They did it anyway because they wanted the money. And that's fine. But that's the bargain they struck, they need to live with it.

However, people being people, that's not good enough; they want to have their cake and eat it too. So they propose things like forcing all the big conferences to have a championship game. And what's more fair than solving a problem for your team caused by your league by forcing other leagues to do it your way?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I think it's safe to say that after reading Cedric's post on the Bengals and now this, he is on a roll. Awesome stuff.
    Yeah, on a roll like Sisyphus...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Yeah, on a roll like Sisyphus...
    Well when you can't dispute facts you can always just do this.

It's what I hear everyday from SEC football fans. All hype and nothing to back it up. I went point by point and if you disagree I'm all ears.

I even mentioned that I felt Ohio State was a little over hyped because of a bad Big Ten last year. Yet I'm the one trick pony? I'm as biased as they come about Ohio State and their talent, but I'm still willing to formulate facts.

I rambled that post in ten minutes and the two people that are obviously the most biased on the issue make one line sentence responses. Maybe that means you have a life and I'm trying too hard to use facts. Or maybe that just means you have nothing to back up your claims about the SEC.

I'm arrogant. I'll say it's the latter.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The luck of Florida and the fat QB from Ohio State... c'mon Cedric, you need to get some new material.

The SEC is a GREAT conference top to bottom. All of our schools, outside 2-3, would be upper tier in the Big 10 or PAC 10. Put ANY school from the Big 10 or PAC 10 in the SEC and I guarantee you their record would not be nearly as good year in and year out.
    I actually posted why this isn't true. Come back with something to give me reason to believe this.

Is it because your number 3 and 4 teams both lost to Big Ten tems last year in Florida?

But I'm the one trick pony. We have major Kentucky fans on this thread and at least I've admitted bias. I still haven't let that bias skew the facts.

And I never said that Ohio State would have won if Troy Smith would have actually prepared and been ready. It was a terrible gameplan. I just said that one game doesn't prove anything past that one game. It just made the hype train move faster.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Some of the haters on this thread are no more objective when it comes to Ohio State than the homers. Watching some of the ridiculous ways people try to discredit what they've done over the past 5 years is just as funny and nonsensical as some of the comments coming from the OSU rawks crowd.

OSU got their butts kicked in the title game last year, but the sweeping conclusions people are drawing from that one game about the entire program, and the entire big ten for that matter, are just silly. It was one game. They weren't prepared. They got their arses kicked. They deserved to lose. But good lord, some of therefores resulting from it are just ridiculous.
    Last edited by MWM; 10-18-2007 at 12:33 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Good work today for the Big Ten - Minnesota got spanked by a Division IAA team. At Home. At least Michigan is not alone in this respect in 2007
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 10-20-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Good work today for the Big Ten - Minnesota got spanked by a Division IAA team. At Home. At least Michigan is not alone in this respect in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    NDSU's running back ran for 263 yards!

If Pat White can get healthy I would really like to see LSU play WVU in the championship game. I know I'm biased towards the Big East but it seems like a great matchup of a dynamic offense against a powerful defense.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    If Pat White can get healthy I would really like to see LSU play WVU in the championship game. I know I'm biased towards the Big East but it seems like a great matchup of a dynamic offense against a powerful defense.
    LSU's offense is not that great. Their defense is great, but their offense is very average.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?