Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • ACC

1 1.14%
  • Big 12

0 0%
  • Big East

5 5.68%
  • Big Ten

12 13.64%
  • Conference USA

0 0%
  • MAC

3 3.41%
  • Mountain West

0 0%
  • Pacific-10

7 7.95%
  • Southeastern Conference

56 63.64%
  • Sun Belt

2 2.27%
  • WAC

2 2.27%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Re: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But HOW is this year's OSU team possibly better then last years?
    I think their defense is better, and their offense didn't lose as much as people think. Players have stepped up, i.e. losing Pittman isn't a big deal when you have Chris Wells stepping in. Brian Robiskie has stepped up as receiver, and now Ray Small is healthy and playing like a Ted Ginn Jr. replacement. But mostly it comes back to the defense.

We'll see come bowl season though, I'm not sure we're going to learn much more about Ohio State in the regular season, although I could be wrong. The game at Penn State could be tough, and Michigan is obviously never an automatic win. And if they get Wisconsin's best shot they will be tough.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I don't think anyone's saying anything other than it was a quality victory for UC, against a ranked opponent on the road.

Good for them. Their schedule doesn't get easier.
    Depends on how you look at it. Rutgers isn't ranked anymore.

Look at the Michigan-Oregon game. Does Oregon have a win over the number five team in the country (where UM was ranked at the time) or did they beat an average, unranked Michigan team?

To me Cincy has no wins over anyone in the top 25 and neither does Oregon. Oregon doesn't get bonus points because Michigan was gettting votes they shouldn't have been getting at the time of the game. Michigan and Rutgers are what they are, unranked teams.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. Rutgers isn't ranked anymore.

Look at the Michigan-Oregon game. Does Oregon have a win over the number five team in the country (where UM was ranked at the time) or did they beat an average, unranked Michigan team?

To me Cincy has no wins over anyone in the top 25 and neither does Oregon. Oregon doesn't get bonus points because Michigan was gettting votes they shouldn't have been getting at the time of the game. Michigan and Rutgers are what they are, unranked teams.

Michigan was unranked at the time Oregon played them. The loss to a div IAA school took care of that, but they may very well be ranked soon. They're #29 in the latest AP poll and a few more wins vs Big Ten patsies should get them ranked sooner rather than later. So yes, I believe Oregon did beat a ranked team when it's all said and done and it was a road win to boot. It's possible that Oregon beat the Big Ten champion...

My post really had nothing to do with slighting Oregon. But you helped my point.

Oregon doesn't want to hear later in the year if Michigan does win the Big 10 that they were an unranked mess when beaten by the Ducks. The Ducks are going to want to say they have a win over #13 Michigan or whatever they might be by that time.

It works both ways. If Rutgers was to go 11-1 and finish 4th in the country, the Bearcats fans would be saying they had a win over #4 Rutgers, even if Rutgers was 21st when the game was played.

You may be right, Oregon migth have a win over a ranked team when all is said and done. But right now they don't. Neither do the Bearcats.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    It works both ways. If Rutgers was to go 11-1 and finish 4th in the country, the Bearcats fans would be saying they had a win over #4 Rutgers, even if Rutgers was 21st when the game was played.

You may be right, Oregon migth have a win over a ranked team when all is said and done. But right now they don't. Neither do the Bearcats.
    You're sure right. It does work both ways and the rankings are constantly in a state of flux. As for the Bearcats so far so good. They've beaten most of their opponents in impressive fashion and I think the teams they've beaten compare with wins the teams around them in the AP poll have gained as well. These would be Arizona St, Hawaii and Kentucky. For the time being, UC is worthy of their high ranking but that doesn't mean when it's all said and done that they'll be a #15 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Big East is not a power conference. The problem that i have with the Big East is that except for S. Florida's win over Auburn they have no marquis wins. They have beaten each other but have not gone outside of the conference and beaten any to opponents.

I think the SEC may be the toughest top to bottom but outside of LSU and maybe Florida this year there are no legit top teams in the country. The likes of UT, Auburn, Alabama, USC, Georiga, and Arkansas all can beat other teams but I dont see the consistance game in game out that it takes to be a top notch team. UK had a nice run but I think their season will go down hill once they start playing the big boys. The win over UL doesn't look as strong as it once did.

I admit the Big 10 is weaker this year. However a traditional bottom feeder is starting to improve and I wouldn't want to play Illinois in a must win game. They are becoming more talented because of Zook's recruiting.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Big East is not a power conference.
    The BCS disagrees with you.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think the SEC may be the toughest top to bottom but outside of LSU and maybe Florida this year there are no legit top teams in the country.

Sure but what conference can boast about more than 2 legit top teams in the country? 2 is pretty many.

South Carolina is ranked 7th. They are just as "legit" as USC or Oregon at this point. And higher ranked than both.

Going back to the Sagarin rankings, I'd be interested to know, for arguments sake what those conferences standings would look like if Tenn had beaten Cal.

I just wonder if that one win by the Pac 10s best team (thus far) over a middle of the pack SEC team skews the conference rankings to the point that they make the PAC 10 number one. Not saying it does, but I wonder.

It really seems like there have been very few good non conference games this year. Games that looked good on paper 3 years ago when scheduled have been stinkers. Oklahoma-Miami, Cal-Tenn and LSU-Virginia Tech come to mind.

What are some big non conference wins by top teams? Are there any?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Thats fine. I just want the Big East to beat someone, anyone. Until a WVU or UL beat a good program outside of their league I will not consider them a top conference. The S. Florida win over Auburn is a good win. Other than that the last good win you could argue was WVU over Georiga in the BCS bowl game. I may be missing a win but I just don't see these Big East teams beating or even playing top teams from other conferences. IMO the biggest wins for big east teams come against big east competition. After Auburn the best non conference team a big east team plays is either Oregon St or Maryland. IMO if you want to be considered as a top conferene than you better teams like WVU and Rutgers cant go the K State route and play patsy non conference schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The BCS rankings have not been released yet this year.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 10-08-2007 at 02:21 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

The Big East is part of the BCS, regardless of what the BSC standings say.

Hence the comment that the BCS considers them a power conference.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 10-08-2007 at 02:32 PM.

After Auburn the best non conference team a big east team plays is either Oregon St or Maryland.
    How 'bout Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How 'bout Kentucky?
    Yea I forgot about UK. I don't really know how UK is. They have looked very good in games and have looked average in other games. The UK win over UL looked good at first but now with UL so bad it just isn't that quality of a win.

Turn Off Ads?