Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prospect: NL Pitchers for 2008 - Cueto #1

Prospect: NL Pitchers for 2008 - Cueto #1

Johnny Cueto – RHP Reds – One of the fastest rising prospects of the season, Cueto gives the Reds four legitimate top 20 prospects by teaming with Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey, and Joey Votto. A diminutive right-hander signed out of the Dominican Republic, Cueto showed up on prospect radars after an encouraging 2006 campaign split between Single-A Dayton and High-A Sarasota. However, Cueto looked even better this season, getting off to a fast start for Sarasota and eventually moving to Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville. The results were impressive throughout, as Cueto finished with a 3.07 ERA and 170/34 K/BB ratio in 161 1/3 innings. That he had little problem adjusting to new levels and was succeeding at Triple-A at the age of 21 made for quite the impression.

Cueto's impressive debut is fully backed by his repertoire of pitches. His fastball sits in the low-90s but can reach as high as 96 and he commands the pitch exceptionally well. Cueto also has a very good slider and a changeup that's already a plus pitch despite learning to throw it only two years ago. The right-hander is listed at just 5'10' and there are thus some concerns about his durability, but it hasn't been an issue thus far. Cueto should settle in as a fine No. 2 starter, and I wouldn't rule out a career as a true ace. His three-pitch repertoire is that impressive, and his command is also exceptional.

Holding Cueto back is that he's a flyball pitcher who gets punished hard when he makes a mistake. It's a style that could be ill-suited for Great American Ballpark, but that he'll be pitching in the National League should help even things out. Since he's had just four starts at the level, the Reds will likely send Cueto back to Triple-A Louisville to begin the 2008 campaign. However, the Reds lack depth in their rotation and a quick start should get Cueto promoted in short order. Based on his combination of talent, readiness for the majors, and proximity to a full-time gig, he's the NL's best pitching prospect for 2008.
    From rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...rticleid=29001

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect: NL Pitchers for 2008 - Cueto #1

Trade him!

Kinda kidding

Wow, I love hearing this kind of stuff.

I wonder when the last time was that the Reds simultaneously had the best pitching and position player prospects in baseball. Finally, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Nice link! I guess Homer doesn't still qualify as a prospect since he's already had a cup of coffee or two... otherwise, I think you could legitimately say the Reds have the best position player and the TWO best pitching prospects in the game. Wow is right!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Yes, I agree. Cueto and Bruce will likely start next season in AAA but by the end of the year I can see all 4 of the Reds top prospects with the club. A 2009 rotation of...

Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Cueto

would be very nice. Although, I could see Arroyo getting traded sometime next year, his salary increases significantly after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Nice link! I guess Homer doesn't still qualify as a prospect since he's already had a cup of coffee or two... otherwise, I think you could legitimately say the Reds have the best position player and the TWO best pitching prospects in the game. Wow is right!
    Homer does count as prospect and article states Reds have 4 Top 20's including Homer....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think you could legitimately say the Reds have the best position player and the TWO best pitching prospects in the game.
    Big change from years past and great to see. Are all of these guys products of the Dan O'Brien era?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Homer does count as prospect and article states Reds have 4 Top 20's including Homer....
    Ah yes, I missed that line of the article...

Anyway, would it be an exaggeration to say that the Reds have the top two P prospects in baseball? Who would the others be in the conversation? Chamberlain? Kennedy? Gio Gonazalez? Clay Bucholz?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by dthomas24 View Post
    Big change from years past and great to see. Are all of these guys products of the Dan O'Brien era?
    I'm kind of interested to into how he was acquired? I'm sure someone can shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm kind of interested to into how he was acquired? I'm sure someone can shed some light.
    I believe we signed him out of one of the Latin American camps.

From today's BP chat with Bryan Smith. (yes, RedsManRick = TheRedsMan)

TheRedsMan (Chicago): Let's say that Bailey doesn't do anything noteworthy tonight or the rest of the year -- in either direction. Does Johnny Cueto pass him up on the prospect rankings?

Bryan Smith: Not for me. I really liked Bailey when he had that "down" year in Dayton, and I really, really liked him after last season. This year was discouraging, certainly, but I don't think Cueto is there yet. I wouldn't gamble that Bailey ends up with the better career, but his ceiling is still higher, and I give him the edge.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Johnny Almaraz get credit for Cueto.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Johnny Almaraz get credit for Cueto.
    Almarez signed him after he went and saw him pitch after someone gave him a tip on Cueto. I wish the Reds would hire whoever that was.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Johnny Cueto.

What a cool name. It just sounds like a dominant pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Johnny Cueto.

What a cool name. It just sounds like a dominant pitcher.
    And Homer Bailey is the opposite......

Turn Off Ads?