Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are the chances Joe Torre comes to Cincinnati?

What are the chances Joe Torre comes to Cincinnati?

With Steinbrenner now saying that Torre will be out as manager unless the Yankees mount a historic comeback, what are the chances he comes to Cincinnati?

IIRC, he does have some strong ties to the city.

How would you rank him as a choice amongst LaRussa, Girardi, Brenley, Mackanin, et. al

Also, what about skipping LaRussa and just hiring Dave Duncan to manage? Would he be willing?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Torre

No thanks. I don't have much belief in him, unless he has an unlimited payroll.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 10-07-2007 at 12:07 PM.

If Torre gets fired, expect Giraldi to be named the next manager. And if he is that is fine if you're a Reds fan. All you have to do is look at that Florida starting pitching staff this season and wonder if he is the next Dusty Baker in regards to burning young arms out.

If I'm the Reds, I have to wonder if there is anyone out there better than the job Mackanin did including Tony LaRussa.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Joe Torre was having trouble staying awake in Friday's game. I know the Reds would put him to sleep for good.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No thanks. I don't have much belief in him, unles he has an unlimited payroll.
    Pre-NYY, Joe had 2 second-place finishes and 1 first place finish managing elsewhere, but never more than 89 wins in a season. While I respect his professionalism and calm demeanor, I agree that he's not the guy you want managing a lower-payroll club.

If Girardi is truly the manager-in-waiting for NYY, it will be interesting to see how the well-paid vets in pinstripes respond to a fiery former teammate. I foresee a train-wreck.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-07-2007 at 12:31 PM.
    /r/reds

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Torre is Narronesque in his management of the bullpen. Find 2 guys you can count on and ride them until their arms fall off. He's just lucky Mariano Rivera has been so resilient. It will be interesting to see who replaces him. Girardi fancies himself the guy, but Mattingly has been in NY and waiting his turn.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I agree, Mattingly is the next Yankees skipper, not Girardi.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Retired

If Joe is canned by the Yankees, he will retire. Put me in the Mattingly as the next NYY manager camp as well, George loves him.

I'd love to see Torre come to Cincy and I think it would be possible, but the more important question is, can the Reds afford him?? I doubt it. He's making ridiculous money as the Yanks skipper.

Are there any managers besides Davey Johnson that Redzoners would put in the 'good manager' camp? It seems like every name that comes up gets raked across the coals.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Are there any managers besides Davey Johnson that Redzoners would put in the 'good manager' camp? It seems like every name that comes up gets raked across the coals.

Sparky Anderson.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sparky Anderson.
    If Redszone was around in the 70s, I doubt Sparky would've been Mr. Popular until after the World Series wins.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Haven't we heard this story every post season since 2000? "If the yanks fail they will fire Torre"?

Just hyperbole that one of these years might end up true
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    If Redszone was around in the 70s, I doubt Sparky would've been Mr. Popular until after the World Series wins.
    Yep. There would have been plenty of "Sparky Who" threads before the 1970 season, countless "Fire Anderson' threads after the 1971 season, numerous "Dump Sparky" threads after the Reds lost game seven of the 1972 World Series, etc.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

He would be the best candidate IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?