Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MERGED: Torre gone from Yanks if they don't make LCS / Rivera wants Torre back

MERGED: Torre gone from Yanks if they don't make LCS / Rivera wants Torre back

they don't make it to the ALCS, according to Steinbrenner's comments. Do you think the Reds will have a chance at landing him if this happens? If they could land him would ownership be willing to pay several million a year to a manager? He has family ties to Cincinnati and in my opinion he would be the best manager the Reds have had since Lou.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Torre gone from Yanks if.............

I would imagine he would cost a lot of money, about $10 million a year or so. I am not sure Reds ownership would pay that much for a manager

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    they don't make it to the ALCS, according to Steinbrenner's comments. Do you think the Reds will have a chance at landing him if this happens? If they could land him would ownership be willing to pay several million a year to a manager? He has family ties to Cincinnati and in my opinion he would be the best manager the Reds have had since Lou.
    I would have the same quistions about Torre that I have about LaRussa. Why does he want the job? Does he have the fire and energy left to put into it.

I think I would prefer a hungry 1st timer (such as Terry Pendelton for example) to am older guy running on or very near to empty.

The comments of some of the people close to the Pirates situation about how JIm Tracy seemed stuck in the Dodgers org in much of his thinking and conversation comes to mind as another big risk to gettig a guy like Torre at this point. The Reds are the Reds and not the Yankees and he would need to accept that go go from there.

Now there is a manager I would want...but too expensive

Yeah, he is probably going to be way too expensive. I would like to see him here, mostly because he is a very professional individual. I like how he handles himself, and his team. I think that the Yankees mess is Cashman's fault. I don't know what kind of market there will be for him if he is let go. I really hope that we can get him or LaRussa.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

No thanks, he is a good manager with good talent and a below average manager with bad talent.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Senor Votto

I think if I was Torre I'd stick it to Steinbriner and just get the worst match ups possible just so the Yankees would lose.

Torre is overrated.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    in my opinion he would be the best manager the Reds have had since Lou.
    Davey Johnson says hello!

I firmly believe that Torre would not require the same salary as he got in New York ($7 mill this season). I'm not saying he'd come for nothing, but I do think if he wanted to manage in a smaller market, he would take less, knowing baseball economics.

I also think you have to take into account the effect hiring Joe Torre would have on the free agent market. Suddenly those big names return your call? Not saying we can afford them - or even one, really - but it would definitely help.

Like landing, say, Mariano Rivera?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    I firmly believe that Torre would not require the same salary as he got in New York ($7 mill this season). ..........I do think if he wanted to manage in a smaller market, he would take less, knowing baseball economics.
    I agree with another poster who said he is a below average manager with less than stellar talent. Joe's forte is knowing how not to screw it up. Without top talent and with younger players, Joe would not be the star he is with the horses he has had for years in NY.

You have lost any sense of reality if you think Joe will take less than his current $7M just to continue to manage anywhere - unless, of course, you believe in the the pseudo-science of baseball economics, which is the epitome of oxymorons.

Remember, pro sports is no different from other forms of high priced entertainment.
    Last edited by ThirdBaseCoach; 10-08-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    I think I would prefer a hungry 1st timer (such as Terry Pendelton for example) to am older guy running on or very near to empty.
    IIRC Terry has never managed an inning anywhere. He may be a top-rated hitting coach, but I am not aware of his hunger for anything, are you? Putting his name on any team's list of manager's is just foolish. If he is hungry, he should manage in the minors and South America before jumping into the deep end of the pool.

So-called first timers should not start in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    IIRC Terry has never managed an inning anywhere. He may be a top-rated hitting coach, but I am not aware of his hunger for anything, are you? Putting his name on any team's list of manager's is just foolish. If he is hungry, he should manage in the minors and South America before jumping into the deep end of the pool.

So-called first timers should not start in the bigs.

The StLouis paper has him at the top of their list of possible LaRussa replacements. Believe he was also on a Pirates listing I saw. I have also heard his name other places as a comer in the managerial arena.

I don't know that much about him personally. My point was the Reds would be better off with a motivated first timer than with a tired vet just playing out the string.

Even George Anderson had to start somehere.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 10-08-2007 at 11:57 AM.

What Is Count Down On When Torre Will Be Canned?

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    What Is Count Down On When Torre Will Be Canned?
    I think the count down ended at Bronx tonight. I bet you he either retires or goes to......St. Louis

Really...how many teams can afford him that will have a vacancy?

My bet he goes to TV.

With a new GM in St. Louis, LaRussa is gone. Will the Reds pay him? Is he that good anyway? They were barely above .500 last year with good pitching. True they got hot and won it all, but this year without pitching he was below .500

Can anybody manage the Reds above .500 with this pitching staff?

Minus the last 10 games of the season, when the Reds played their AAA players, Mackanin did pretty good.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?