The Reds need a manager, a #3 starter, another reliable arm in the pen & better catching.
Here are 10 offseason moves the Reds should make:
1. Hire a real major league manager. Someone who can make all the basic moves ( ie no pinch hitting Castro! ), not abuse our pitchers & keep control in the clubhouse.
2. Pick up Dunn's option and sign him to a long term contract.
3. Pick up Hatteberg's option ( cheap ). At worst he is a good pinch hitter. He would also have trade value.
4. Decline the options on:
Guardado. I like Eddie but not for $3.5M
Valentin. Look at his numbers. Declining OPS/power. And not very good defensively. The Reds will obviously be in the market for a cather but they do have some spare parts to deal.
5. Release Saarloos, Ellison, & Castro.
6. Trade Majik & Coffey if there are any takers. If not we are stuck with Coffey ( signed for 2008 ). I think these guys need a change of scenery and are never going to be successful on the Reds.
7. Trade Griffey. As I have stated before I think Griifey is the outfielder who goes keeping Bruce ( young, good and cheap ) ,
Hamilton ( young, good and cheap ) and Dunn ( in his prime ).
I know this isn't easy but I think the Reds should approach Griffey and get a list of team he would go to then take the best offer.
It would be short list but I can't imagine he wouldn't want to play for a team who contends on a regular basis.
8. Make a serious run at Curt Schilling. Money talks and the Reds will have to pay ~$3-5M more than others but Schilling on a one year deal is exactly what the Reds need.
Big name. Excitement. Make Bailey & Belisle the 4/5 starters not the 3/4 starters. Gives Cueto a year in AAA.
9. Go global! There are several Japanese pitchers who are free agents that could help the Reds. Again, the Reds would have to pay more than a west coast team to get their services.
Other than Schilling and the Japanese pitchers the free agent pitching market is terribly weak.
10. If Freel is healthy in spring training trade him if there are takers. Hopper, Cantu & Keppinger have made Freel unnecssary.