Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 offseason moves the Reds should make

10 offseason moves the Reds should make

The Reds need a manager, a #3 starter, another reliable arm in the pen & better catching.
    Here are 10 offseason moves the Reds should make:

1. Hire a real major league manager. Someone who can make all the basic moves ( ie no pinch hitting Castro! ), not abuse our pitchers & keep control in the clubhouse.

2. Pick up Dunn's option and sign him to a long term contract.

3. Pick up Hatteberg's option ( cheap ). At worst he is a good pinch hitter. He would also have trade value.

4. Decline the options on:

Guardado. I like Eddie but not for $3.5M

Valentin. Look at his numbers. Declining OPS/power. And not very good defensively. The Reds will obviously be in the market for a cather but they do have some spare parts to deal.

5. Release Saarloos, Ellison, & Castro.

6. Trade Majik & Coffey if there are any takers. If not we are stuck with Coffey ( signed for 2008 ). I think these guys need a change of scenery and are never going to be successful on the Reds.

7. Trade Griffey. As I have stated before I think Griifey is the outfielder who goes keeping Bruce ( young, good and cheap ) ,
    Hamilton ( young, good and cheap ) and Dunn ( in his prime ).
    I know this isn't easy but I think the Reds should approach Griffey and get a list of team he would go to then take the best offer.
    It would be short list but I can't imagine he wouldn't want to play for a team who contends on a regular basis.

8. Make a serious run at Curt Schilling. Money talks and the Reds will have to pay ~$3-5M more than others but Schilling on a one year deal is exactly what the Reds need.
    Big name. Excitement. Make Bailey & Belisle the 4/5 starters not the 3/4 starters. Gives Cueto a year in AAA.

9. Go global! There are several Japanese pitchers who are free agents that could help the Reds. Again, the Reds would have to pay more than a west coast team to get their services.

Other than Schilling and the Japanese pitchers the free agent pitching market is terribly weak.

10. If Freel is healthy in spring training trade him if there are takers. Hopper, Cantu & Keppinger have made Freel unnecssary.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 10 offseason moves the Reds should make

I think most of your suggestions are valid. I just don't like saying we should trade this guy or that guy. I am more of the belief that everybody is basically on the trading block. If someone approaches you with a trade proposal that improves your team, you take it regardless of who it is.

I do disagree with you on Guardado though. He was basically lights out the last 7 or so innings he pitched and looked to be back in form. I don't think $3.5 million is all that much for a veteran with his kind of leadership and looking that effective. Yes, he's an injury risk but it's worth it IMO. Good set-up men are of high demand right now so it's not going to be easy to fill those roles.

I'm also not ready to give up on Coffey and I don't think there's any chance in he!! that Schilling would come to Cincinnati.

Will M I like your ideas. I wonder about Cueto. I keep hearing that a lot of the Reds talent evaluators say that he's ready. It might be a good idea to put him in the bullpen this year...ala Jose Rijo (a few years back). He would definitely upgrade the BP, and it would be a good way to break him in to the majors. I also like the idea of going younger in the outfield. I would just give Freel away, though. He makes the bench all that much better (especially if he stays rested).

I think Castro has a 2 year deal. I think the Reds would have to eat the second year of his contract. I think Valentin's option is only 1.5 million , and he is an offensive upgrade over Ross. I don't see him as a long-term starting catcher, but he will do for next year. 3.5 million is a lot for a pitcher of Eddie's age who has not been dominating. I would have paid it for the old Eddie, but i doubt the Reds will pick up this option.

I would keep Valentin. At 1.5 million he's a very inexpensive bat. I do agree that we need to look at pitchers in Japan. Belisle won't cut it in my book. He just doesn't seem like he knows what to do when the going gets tough. If they don't get a Japanese pitcher, then I would give Cueto a very serious shot to make the team next year.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I think most of your suggestions are valid. I just don't like saying we should trade this guy or that guy. I am more of the belief that everybody is basically on the trading block. If someone approaches you with a trade proposal that improves your team, you take it regardless of who it is.

I do disagree with you on Guardado though. He was basically lights out the last 7 or so innings he pitched and looked to be back in form. I don't think $3.5 million is all that much for a veteran with his kind of leadership and looking that effective. Yes, he's an injury risk but it's worth it IMO. Good set-up men are of high demand right now so it's not going to be easy to fill those roles.

I'm also not ready to give up on Coffey and I don't think there's any chance in he!! that Schilling would come to Cincinnati.

My problem with guardado is his age.
    I would rather see a pen of Weathers, Burton, Salmon, Bray, Cout, plus one solid under age 30 arm.
    The Reds should be looking at 2009 and beyond.
    No more playing OK vets while youngsters play in AAA.
    Time to see if some of the young arms are for real.
    Plus - in 2007 we paid a lot of money to crappy vets when we could have used those roster spots with younger guys and used the combined savings to get one real impact player.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Will M I like your ideas. I wonder about Cueto. I keep hearing that a lot of the Reds talent evaluators say that he's ready. It might be a good idea to put him in the bullpen this year...ala Jose Rijo (a few years back). He would definitely upgrade the BP, and it would be a good way to break him in to the majors. I also like the idea of going younger in the outfield. I would just give Freel away, though. He makes the bench all that much better (especially if he stays rested).
    Depends on the return we could get for a healthy Freel.
    Kepp, Hopper, Cantu etc make Freel tradable for the right return.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I would keep Valentin. At 1.5 million he's a very inexpensive bat. I do agree that we need to look at pitchers in Japan. Belisle won't cut it in my book. He just doesn't seem like he knows what to do when the going gets tough. If they don't get a Japanese pitcher, then I would give Cueto a very serious shot to make the team next year.
    I am willing to give Belisle another shot. 2008 is make or break for him though. His stuff is better than a lot of pitchers whose ERAs are lower than his. Time to learn how to pitch.
    Plus I believe his ERA was high in 2007 due to some element of bad luck ( see some of the posts on ORG ).
    His 'true' ERA was something like 4.50

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I am willing to give Belisle another shot. 2008 is make or break for him though. His stuff is better than a lot of pitchers whose ERAs are lower than his. Time to learn how to pitch.
    Plus I believe his ERA was high in 2007 due to some element of bad luck ( see some of the posts on ORG ).
    His 'true' ERA was something like 4.50
    I would personally put him in AAA, and let him fight his way back up here again. Maybe this time he'll learn a little bit more about pitching. I think his arm got him to this point. Now his head has to get him to be a good MLB pitcher.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Belisle has been frustrating to me for a long time. Always think he is going to put it together but it is always the same. I also would give him another shot in 08.

1. And one that can get Dunn ahead of Jr in the batting order.
    2. & 3. Agree
    4. Agree about Eddie but I would keep Valentin as backup for the new catcher.
    5. Add Stanton to that list.
    6. I would keep Coffey and hope he gets his head right. I kind of blame Ross for Coffeys bad year.
    7. Griffey stays.Bruce waits.
    8. I really like Schilling.
    9. We dont need Japanese players.
    10. Picking up Hattebergs option makes Cantu good trade bait along with Freel.

I agree to getting Schilling and Japanese players. We can tap that market by signing someone. Schilling can help Bailey in teaching him how to throw strikes. I also agree with Valentin being gone... sucks defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Will M and roby, I agree and disagree. If control of the club house is as I agree important, Pete scores well. roby, I like your idea for Cueto, if he can adapt, and while young and hungry this might be a good plan. Freel I see as a major bargaining chip in a package deal, yes, because of Hopper and Keppinger. Minnesota is stretched to their limit $$ wise, and dare I say, Nathan might be obtainable, or maybe their closer in the making, Neshek. Otherwise, roll the dice on fast Eddie. He wouldn't be un-employed for long if the Reds don't keep him. Coffey might be better off somewhere else, or he may just be too dumb to pan out. Reds have so much OF talent in the making, but I agree Dunn needs to stay at least another year, or part of one. If Bruce is all that he seems, there is Dorn looking real bona fide, and Stubbs appears to be "getting it". Don't forget Hamilton--as much as I love watching him play--is fragile. 3 DL stints, and injuries early in his career led to boredom and his downward spiral. But, then again Larry Walker was fragile and look at the career stats he ended up with. Someone else said it, "Like a fine Italian sports car, when perfectly tuned nothing can compare, but maintainance is high".

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    1. And one that can get Dunn ahead of Jr in the batting order.
    2. & 3. Agree
    4. Agree about Eddie but I would keep Valentin as backup for the new catcher.
    5. Add Stanton to that list.
    6. I would keep Coffey and hope he gets his head right. I kind of blame Ross for Coffeys bad year.
    7. Griffey stays.Bruce waits.
    8. I really like Schilling.
    9. We dont need Japanese players.
    10. Picking up Hattebergs option makes Cantu good trade bait along with Freel.
    Why would you rather have Hatteberg for a year than Cantu for a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Why would you rather have Hatteberg for a year than Cantu for a few years?
    I would much rather have Cantu as well.

Also, I would love to have Curt Schilling. Schilling is a good presence on the team, because what he says will bring the team exposeure, and will help keep the youngsters in line. I severly doubt he would want to come here though, which might mean a higher price tag.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?