Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Error-Plagued Game, but From the Broadcast Booth

An Error-Plagued Game, but From the Broadcast Booth

An article on whom I consider THE worst announcer in all of sports (from the non players division)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sp...9sandomir.html

No announcer is perfect. A mistake now and then is expected. The best ones realize that they’ve made errors and often do their best to fix them quickly.

Then there is Chip Caray, TBS’s lead baseball announcer, who has been calling the Yankees-Indians division series and will work deeper into the postseason on the National League Championship Series. His play-by-play of the Yankees’ 8-4 win in Game 3 on Sunday night was packed with errors and silly strategy, enough to give me agita.

Caray’s skein of faux pas in Game 3, as well as during Game 2, befogged his announcing like the insects that swarmed Joba Chamberlain on Friday night.

He stated that Derek Jeter was playing in his 49th postseason game — “No. 1 of all time.” Truth: it was his 49th division series game, out of 122 postseason games.

He likened the “dynamic duo” of Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera to the Rivera-John Wetteland bullpen pairing in “those great early years of Joe Torre,” when they were dominating the World Series. Truth: Rivera and Wetteland were Yankee teammates for two seasons, and Torre managed them only in 1996.

He said the “Yankees led the world” in home runs this season with 201. He liked saying it so much he said it again. Truth: The Brewers led the majors with 231, followed by the Phillies with 213 and the Reds at 204. The Yankees and Marlins were tied at 201.

He extolled Alex Rodriguez’s “offensive heroics in the first two months of the season” for keeping the Yankees in the race. Truth: A-Rod had a sensational April, but he slumped in May to a .235 batting average with 5 home runs and 11 runs batted in.

He introduced Indians reliever Joe Borowski in Game 3 as having played for the Brewers and the Reds. Truth: He never played for Milwaukee, and while he once signed with the Reds, he never made it out of spring training. Caray also noted his hometown, Bayonne, N.J., but pronounced it as if it were part of the Louisiana bayou.

The error bug also hit the reporter Craig Sager, who reflected on the absence of Bob Sheppard, the Yankee Stadium public address announcer, and said that his first game in 1951 was between the Giants and the Yankees. Truth: The Red Sox were in town.

Caray does not distinguish a go-ahead run from a winning run. In Cleveland on Friday, he said the Indians had the winning run on second base in the bottom of the eighth, and he put the Yankees in the same position in the top of the ninth. Wrong. He also believes that a runner on second will automatically score on a single. Not always.

He also has an annoying air of certitude. With the bases loaded Sunday, and the Yankees leading, 5-3, thanks to Johnny Damon’s three-run homer, Caray said, “This is a spot where they have to score another run to win the game.” Does he also read palms?

That attitude led him on Sunday, after Rodriguez’s first hit of the series, to say, “And here come the Yankees!” A-Rod went back to the bench on Jorge Posada’s double play.

After Damon’s run-scoring single in the third, he said, “And here they come!”

No, they didn’t: Jeter promptly grounded into a double play.

I’m sure that Caray believed his own words when he said, about the Andy Pettitte-Fausto Carmona Game 2 matchup, that “you can’t get better postseason pitching than we’ve seen tonight.” But there had been better, like that perfect game at Yankee Stadium in 1956 when the 42-year-old Chip’s legendary grandfather, Harry, was only 42.

Had the frequently (and ridiculously) loud Caray stayed on mute throughout the series, the analysis of his partners, Tony Gwynn and, to a greater degree, Bob Brenly, would have been worth three or four hours of my time. But a stronger play-by-play voice, like TBS’s other division series announcers, Don Orsillo, Ted Robinson or Dick Stockton, would have made Brenly and Gwynn better. TBS knows how to fix what’s wrong. Yesterday it added SNY’s Ron Darling to its studio program, providing experience that neophytes like Frank Thomas and Cal Ripken lack.

Here are some questions to ponder through the rest of Caray’s work this postseason. Why isn’t he better prepared? If his producer, Jeff Gowen, is listening to what he is saying, why isn’t Caray improving? And why should I have to keep rushing to MLB.com to fact-check his facts?

Through Sunday’s games, TBS’s division series average viewership of 5.4 million is up impressively from 4.5 million last year on ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox. ...The NHL Network, with 50 live games and other programming, announced deals to be carried by Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, DirecTV and Dish. It will most likely be available largely on digital sports tiers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: An Error-Plagued Game, but From the Broadcast Booth

FWIW, last night, Caray had not improved one iota.

From about the 7th inning on, he was projecting the remaining outs in "Joe Torre's legacy."

Again in the 7th, "Will A-Rod bat again in a Yankee uniform?"

In the 6th, he was all but predicting that Borowski would come in as closer in the 9th (only if the lead were three or less) and "have difficulties because he would most likely be facing the heart of the Yankee order"

He referred to the members of the Cleveland bullpen as the "pensmen"

The only thing more painful than the last four games, will be the next series when Caray will be involved. The stakes will be higher, but I don't think his game will be stepped up at all.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 10-09-2007 at 11:18 AM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Chip has a great announcer voice, a face for television and everyone who has followed baseball since WWII associates the name Caray with a well-known announcer. That isn't enough?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Chip has a great announcer voice
    Honestly, that is all I care about. Almost all announcers are consistantly wrong with stupid stats or remarks on history. Call the play well and have a good voice and that is all I need. I find it comical most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Honestly, that is all I care about. Almost all announcers are consistantly wrong with stupid stats or remarks on history. Call the play well and have a good voice and that is all I need. I find it comical most of the time.
    It sounds like good old Chip wasn't even calling the plays well. IMHO that's bad during any game, but especially during post-season play.

If you obviously didn't look up the stats you plan to use (and Chip obviously didn't), then don't cite them... just leave them out in an effort to CYA.

I'm sure his producer has no idea if the stats cited are correct; how would he? But he certainly should recognize excruciatingly bad announcing throughout the game.

TBS should be bombarded with email about this.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I don't know if M2 or Chili agree with me, but the Red Sox have to be pleased with Don Orsillo. He was very flawless in the Rockies/Phillies series, even though he'd been doing AL games all year. Even Joe Simpson raised his game a notch with Orsillo.

Orsillo is the number one guy, IMO. Chip Caray is Joe Buck without being funny or correct. Maybe Caray learned to drink like his grandpa did on the air.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I think it was Carey that on the last out of the game said something along the lines of "a shallow pop fly to right" . The ball ended up being hit like a cpl feet from the warning track.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think it was Carey that on the last out of the game said something along the lines of "a shallow pop fly to right" . The ball ended up being hit like a cpl feet from the warning track.

Like grandpa, like grandson.

The best thing I can say for Chip Carey is that he's not Tim McCarver.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

My wife was watching the game with me for a while.

When after a nice catch by Cabrera in CF and Caray said "some vitamin-D from Melky", my wife said "please tell me he didn't really say that".

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    from the George Grande School of Broadcasting...

Pay attention to the open sky

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Deleted.

(Note to self... read thread prior to making observation...)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My wife was watching the game with me for a while.

When after a nice catch by Cabrera in CF and Caray said "some vitamin-D from Melky", my wife said "please tell me he didn't really say that".
    Worse, it was actually, "from the Melkman", and stolen from one of the Yankees regular announcers.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I don't watch baseball to learn anything other than what's going on in the game. As long as the guy tells me who's up, what the count is, who's ahead, etc. I don't really pay attention to all the extra stuff they add in there. Color announcers and all the extras that PBP guys add in are kind of like white noise to me.

I've probably listened to McCarver a hundred times. He's excoriated on this board and I honestly can't remember one thing he has ever said that would cause me to complain about it here.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I don't know if M2 or Chili agree with me, but the Red Sox have to be pleased with Don Orsillo. He was very flawless in the Rockies/Phillies series, even though he'd been doing AL games all year. Even Joe Simpson raised his game a notch with Orsillo.

Orsillo is the number one guy, IMO. Chip Caray is Joe Buck without being funny or correct. Maybe Caray learned to drink like his grandpa did on the air.
    I think Orsillo's the gold standard, but chances are he's not going to get elevated someone with the last name of Caray at TBS any time soon.

Though Chip can get annoying, I thought Gwynn and Brenly carried him fairly well last night. In general I was impressed by the TBS broadcasts (for all series).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I've probably listened to McCarver a hundred times. He's excoriated on this board and I honestly can't remember one thing he has ever said that would cause me to complain about it here.
    McCarver likes to make himself the story, or to interject how he would have handled it, or a situation that occurred in his past that was similar. I don't care. Don't try so hard, just tell us about the game at hand, or add anecdotes about those games without the bravoso.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?