Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The good news is...

The good news is...

There are pessimists and there are optimists on this board. I'm sure the pessimists consider themselves realists (admittedly many of you are more of a realist than I am). But it's more fun as a fan to be an eternal optimist.

So here's my attempt to start a thread of pure optimism about 2008

Please fill in the blank with your own positive observations about 2007 and things to feel good about in 2008

The good news is...

Here's a couple of my own.

1. Eddie Guardado looked like his old self the last 7 appearances of the year. With Burton he could solidify the 7th and 8th innings next year.

2. The Reds are brimming over with offensive talent which gives Wayne many options to explore a trade for a starting pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The good news is...

Votto. I believe he'll get his chance next year.

Jared Burton. He started out pretty bad at the start of the year, but really came on strong at the end. That Rule 5 pick turned out really well.

I think there were a lot of positives this year, minus the bullpen. Burton was terrific the last part of the season. Votto, Keppinger, and Hamilton were great. Phillips was tremendous Harang was exceptional. And I guess I'm excited about using adjectives today.

The good news is...

this thread! How refreshing!

I second the Burton love earlier on this thread. If he can maintain or - gasp! - progress, then the Reds solved the one thing that singlehandedly kept the division out of reach: the 8th inning.

More good news is also being deep offensively for the first time in recent memory. What a perfect time to be loaded, since it will be trades - not free agency - that improve this club before March 31, 2008.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I'll try a few more...

The good news is....

Homer will be a year older with 40+ innings of major league experience under his belt

EE broke out in the second half with both his defense and offense. Can't wait to see what he does in '08.

Thank God Steves Gone

The depth that we have is beyond belief (that is when everyone is healthy). I would love to see us clear a spot for The Boss to play but that remains to be seen. We had a down year but we have more positives this down year than any other from the past 8 years, if that makes any sense.

The good news is that this year was a reality check for this team, and they should be back to their where they were last year, or better next year. More good news is that we have a GM that continues to bring in depth for nothing.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Here is a stat that hopefully turns out to be a silver lining and not fool's gold. Todd Coffey, in his last nine appearances, pitched shutout baseball for 6 1/3 innings. During that stretch he allowed 6 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 7. The Reds can use that particular brand of Coffey in 2008.

Senor Votto

Good idea for a thread I hope it stays optimistic

In honor of degenerate10 picking all four Division Series outcomes correctly, I will offer this one. Adam Dunn will be playing on two good knees in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Here is a stat that hopefully turns out to be a silver lining and not fool's gold. Todd Coffey, in his last nine appearances, pitched shutout baseball for 6 1/3 innings. During that stretch he allowed 6 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 7. The Reds can use that particular brand of Coffey in 2008.
    Also shows his problems weren't due to injury. So there is some hope that he can return to or build on his solid showing in '06. The talent is there.

The good news is...

In his last 3 starts (small sample but telling) Homer posted a 3.71 ERA and a WHIP of 1.24. His walks were down since his earlier stint.

In about 550 combined at bats Kepp and Hopp hit about .330 and got on base around .370 - .400 Not bad for 2 subs!

Next year's bench will be very strong - Keep, Hopp, Cantu, Hatteberg?, Valentin, Freel.

The good news By the end of the 2008 season Brandon Phillips has a chance to be the all around best at his position in the majors. I talking about 2nd base; but depending how his defense turned out, this might even come true after a year or so even if the Reds felt the need to put him back at SS.

The good news is that Josh Hamilton turned out much better than anyone could have hoped, and I look forward to seeing him play in 2008. There was another Rule 5 pick that turned out well.

Turn Off Ads?