Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A-Rod: What am I missing?

A-Rod: What am I missing?

Reports have A-Rod possibly opting out of his contract and being rewarded with a new long term contract worth more than $30 million per year. I just don't get it. First, his current contract is being paid by two teams, which a new contract wont. Second, while he is a great offensive player, he has exactly lit up the post season (when he's managed to get there). Am I the only one who thinks he's overvalued at $30 plus million a year, and any team that takes him on for that type of money is delusional?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: A-Rod: What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Reports have A-Rod possibly opting out of his contract and being rewarded with a new long term contract worth more than $30 million per year. I just don't get it. First, his current contract is being paid by two teams, which a new contract wont. Second, while he is a great offensive player, he has exactly lit up the post season (when he's managed to get there). Am I the only one who thinks he's overvalued at $30 plus million a year, and any team that takes him on for that type of money is delusional?
    Great player. No player's worth that much.

On the radio last night, Boras is saying he can get Arod 500 million to a billion dollars!! Thats insane!!!

And this is what was posted also:
    "Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News ups the ante, suggesting Boras could find a team to pay $400MM over eleven years."

This is from Peter Abraham's blog.

In comments to a wide assortment of reporters, most of them based in New York, Scott Boras says that he will recommend that Alex Rodriguez opts out of his contract.

Boras is saying A-Rod can play until he’s 45, hit 1,000 home runs and and be worth up to $1 billion for a regional cable television network. He seems to be seeking at least a 10-year deal worth an average of $33 million a year.

Brian Cashman said again today that the Yankees would not pursue Rodriguez if he becomes a free agent.

There are two possibilities here. Boras and Cashman mean what they say and A-Rod is gone. Or this is just the start of posturing.

The Yankees are almost certainly going to offer A-Rod a contract extension. What Boras said today is essentially the start of those negotiations.

A-Rod has until 10 days after the World Series to inform the Yankees of his intentions.
    LINK

Wonder if ARod needs a reference from Tom Hicks.

Who is going to pay that? The Royals?

At that price, who can pay them except for the Yankees? Angels? Dodgers? Cubs?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3055752

Boras thinks that Rodriguez's pursuit of the home run record will make him even more valuable on TV. He also says that by playing until he's 45, Rodriguez would also end up passing Pete Rose, who has baseball's all-time hits record of 4,256.

Rodriguez currently has 518 home runs and 2,250 hits.

"The thing about Alex is he has a chance to play 12 more years and break the all-time hit record," Boras said. "It is a record that he could break. You only have to go and map out that if Alex Rodriguez were to play until he is 45 and he averaged 35 home runs he would have over 1,000 homers. It is a unique platform where he is at at such a young age. The projections are rather mind-boggling when you consider the fact even if he performed at a level that is 15 percent below what he is performing at now, he still would lift many of these records just by the mere fact that he has played this long."

In the free agent book that Boras has planned, he will detail what Rodriguez has accomplished at 32.

"You don't talk about projections," Boras said. "You really talk about what he has done. The key point to what Alex has done is that over the last 10 years is that when you are talking about home runs, RBIs and runs scored, no one in baseball history has ever done what he has done over the last 10 years. The consistency of having the 35 home runs, having the number of RBIs and runs scored."
    Rodriguez currently has 518 home runs and 2,250 hits.

Ken Griffey Jr. says hello, and reminds Mr Boros that nothing is ever set in stone in baseball.

Nothing.

I think it's between the Yankees and Angels. I think with the Cubs ownership in flux and the fact they have several guys making big time money, they won't sign him.

Arte Moreno loves him some Hispanic players and perhaps A-Rod can be that nudge that puts the Angels first in the hearts and minds of Los Angelenos. It'd be a fresh start for A-Rod and less pressure than in NYC. He might be able to play SS there too if he wants.

And then there's the Yankees. They could afford to pay him $30M a year and not blink an eye. In the end, Boros is all about the money so I'm guessing A-Rod stays in NYC. Somebody's going to pay him no matter what people think he's worth.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think he'll get his per annum, but I'd be shocked if anybody goes more than 5 or 6 years
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think he'll get his per annum, but I'd be shocked if anybody goes more than 5 or 6 years

You're probably right. They may stick some kind of option in there after year 5 to give one side or the other an out.

How many years did Zito get?

A team would be nuts to go more than 5 or 6 years.

Boros has been a magician who finds a team that will bid against itself.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    A team would be nuts to go more than 5 or 6 years.
    ... that was being said about Soriano last year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

The point still stands.

All I can say is Arod is unique. He can play a tough defensive position well and is one of the best offensive players in the game. No other player in baseball can match his skill set.

Is he worth $30M a year? I don't know but I believe that Boras can find a team that will pay it.

Turn Off Ads?