Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

  1. #1
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Ok...the season is over and obviously it did not end up the way we would have liked (although it ended up the way some anticipated).

    Looking back with our near perfect 20-20 hindsight, what were the highlights and lowlights of this past year?

    Highlights

    Phillips; Nuff said

    Hamilton; * (the * for durability issues, otherwise a highlight)

    Burton; showing signs of being solid

    Couter; while not solid, showing signs of being usefull

    Belisle; not a world beater but lasted longer than I thought he would

    Dunn; turned in another great year

    Harrang; 2006 wasn't a fluke

    Keppinger; an actual improvement for the bench

    Votto; way too early, but he showed what he might be able to do

    EE; slow, miserable start...but turned it on big time at the end

    Lowlights

    Coffey; just plain horrable

    Jr; I NOT SLAGGING ON HIM, but his RF defense was still an issue and while he had an awesome year at the plate it was a shame to see him come up short of 600. I was also bummed that he didn't make it to the end of the year without being hurt...it was so close. I'm frustrated FOR him, not AT him

    Stanton; not that it was a total shock, but wow.

    Sarrlooss; I was shocked, but wow

    8th inning of about any game......

    Gonzos defense; but I'm willing to cut him some slack vis. his child

    Ross; I figured he'd slow down compared to 2006, but yikes

    Homer; sorry to fire up the debate, but I think bringing him up was a huge mistake

    Castro; Nuff Said

    Freel; Nuff Said
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Got to agree with most, with a few exceptions:

    EE was pretty much a disappointment. He needs to put together the whole season this year.

    Homer, I don't think bringing him up was a huge mistake. There's nothing wrong with him getting the experience. It's not like he blew the playoff lead or anything.

  4. #3
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Got to agree with most, with a few exceptions:

    EE was pretty much a disappointment. He needs to put together the whole season this year.

    Homer, I don't think bringing him up was a huge mistake. There's nothing wrong with him getting the experience. It's not like he blew the playoff lead or anything.


    One of the most important things a player learns is how to deal with adversity. Hopefully, you learn in the minor leagues, away from the spotlight. But EE was sent down mid season in a very painful, very public way. He could have pouted and complained, but he went down and corrected some flaws in his game, and came back and played much, much better after the callup.

    Things like that can be watershed moments in the career of a ballplayer. Will he keep it up? Who knows. I do know I'm impressed with how he handled it all.

    So, he was far from a disappointment to me last year, quite the opposite, in fact.

    And as I've said since the first time it was mentioned, I think it was a terrible mistake to bring Homer up when we did. An unacceptable risk, handled badly with all the publicity, and for nothing in a lost season.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    I'm curious what people see in Coutlangus that makes them believe he will be a good LOOGY option.

    With some good lefty's in AAA and AA, I think the pressure's really on him to have a big spring next season.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  6. #5
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    One of the most important things a player learns is how to deal with adversity. Hopefully, you learn in the minor leagues, away from the spotlight. But EE was sent down mid season in a very painful, very public way. He could have pouted and complained, but he went down and corrected some flaws in his game, and came back and played much, much better after the callup.

    Things like that can be watershed moments in the career of a ballplayer. Will he keep it up? Who knows. I do know I'm impressed with how he handled it all.

    So, he was far from a disappointment to me last year, quite the opposite, in fact.

    And as I've said since the first time it was mentioned, I think it was a terrible mistake to bring Homer up when we did. An unacceptable risk, handled badly with all the publicity, and for nothing in a lost season.
    I really don't see the risk. What is the risk? Health? Mentality? I think too much is made of "rushing" a guy to the majors. It's one thing if he was drafted out of HS and was playing in the majors 1 moth later. Homer may not have been ready to dominate, but I don't think there was a risk in ruining his career.

  7. #6
    Member red-in-la's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Santa Paula, CA
    Posts
    6,536

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    I had thought that the Reds would have gotten a career year from either Lohse or Saarloss. To bad both tanked. Not that it was a great surprize, just had hoped.

    I sure hope that whoever the new manager is, he will make up a batting order indepent of personalities.

    Clearly, Phillips is the best hitter on the team and thus should hit 3rd. Dunn has the most power so he should hit 4th. If JR could repeat 2007 he would make a nice number 5 hitter.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

  8. #7
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious what people see in Coutlangus that makes them believe he will be a good LOOGY option.

    With some good lefty's in AAA and AA, I think the pressure's really on him to have a big spring next season.
    He had a .231 BA vs lefties last year, against a .264 BAA vs righties.

    I wasn't overly impressed with him, but some are. I think his best shot is as a LOOGY if he can harness his wildness.

  9. #8
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,743

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious what people see in Coutlangus that makes them believe he will be a good LOOGY option.

    With some good lefty's in AAA and AA, I think the pressure's really on him to have a big spring next season.
    vL .231/.388/.277 (.665 OPS)
    vR .264/.353/.425 (.778 OPS)

    He's got some real control problems across the board, particularly versus lefties, but they simply didn't hit him with any power. Definitely could be a small sample issue, but encouraging.

    When you have as many strikeouts as hits, and both are less than the number of IP, you have something there. He'll never amount to a hill of beans if he keeps walking 6/9IP, but the stuff seems to be there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  10. #9
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,126

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Lowlight:

    Jerry Narron. He just couldn't manage (in many different ways).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,006

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I really don't see the risk. What is the risk? Health? Mentality? I think too much is made of "rushing" a guy to the majors. It's one thing if he was drafted out of HS and was playing in the majors 1 moth later. Homer may not have been ready to dominate, but I don't think there was a risk in ruining his career.
    I think RFS was referring to Edwin, not Homer.

  12. #11
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    vL .231/.388/.277 (.665 OPS)
    vR .264/.353/.425 (.778 OPS)

    He's got some real control problems across the board, particularly versus lefties, but they simply didn't hit him with any power. Definitely could be a small sample issue, but encouraging.

    When you have as many strikeouts as hits, and both are less than the number of IP, you have something there. He'll never amount to a hill of beans if he keeps walking 6/9IP, but the stuff seems to be there.
    Coutlangus was the most intriguing thing in the BP from the left side.

    Much more encouraging than Bray.

  13. #12
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I had thought that the Reds would have gotten a career year from either Lohse or Saarloss. To bad both tanked. Not that it was a great surprize, just had hoped.

    I sure hope that whoever the new manager is, he will make up a batting order indepent of personalities.

    Clearly, Phillips is the best hitter on the team and thus should hit 3rd. Dunn has the most power so he should hit 4th. If JR could repeat 2007 he would make a nice number 5 hitter.
    Phillips is the best hitter on the team and should hit 3rd? Did I miss a memo or something?

    I thought we got exactly what was to be expected from Lohse in 2007.

    As for Homer.... the only positive thing I can say is that he had a winning record. Aside from that, I didn't find much positive in his 2007 campaign.

    Dunn proved that he is what he is, and we'll continue to underappreciate him for what he is, and perhaps might let him walk b/c he's not what we think he should be. Would be a damn shame not to pick up that bargain of an option.

    Hopper proved that he can make the most of his opportunities, but that he's not an everyday player and shouldn't be treated as such.

    Freel proved that he is destined to go Bump Bailey on us and die on the baseball field in pursuit of some flyball. Or maybe diving into the stands. Regardless, paramedics should always be on call when Ryan Freel is at the ballpark.

    Arroyo proved that 2006 might have been a fluke. Maybe we should have sold high in 2007.

    Belisle proved that he's the best of the worst for either a #4 or #5 spot in the rotation. It's a shame we don't have a #2 to compliment our #1 in Aaron Harang.

    Burton and Hamilton proved that Rule V pick ups can be fun! Very risky, but fun, nonetheless. Pennies on the dollar for both players, and perhaps we have an OF to build around (relapse beware) and a setup man for that closer to be named later.

    Alex Gonzalez proved that distractions turn gold glovers into pedestrian SS. When you couldn't hit to begin with, and all of a sudden you can't field, what's left?

    Our catching situation proved that Ross and Valentin are both horrible, and we have a very glaring weakness behind the plate.

    Who is the real Jeff Keppinger, and can he become and everyday player?

    Is Jay Bruce really the savior? If he's not, is Joey Votto?


    Hopefully Wayne will realize that big money should never be spent on the likes of the Castros or Stantons of the world.

  14. #13
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,028

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Highlights

    Hamilton

    Phillips (where was the dropoff that some were calling for)

    Burton - closer of the future?

    Hopper - showed he can be a 4th outfielder, maybe if the FO would have waited Freel would be gone

    Weathers - Another solid year out of this old guy.

    EE - Good bounce back from demotoin. 08 better be a good year

    Lohse - What? Guy pitched well from time to time and showed flashes and then was flipped for a pretty good AA pitcher. What else do you want from a guy who made 1/2 of what milton did?

    Harang - Does he get CY young votes?

    Dunn - Do people realize what kind of year he had?

    Votto - Didn't a scout say he couldn't hit at the MLB level?

    Keppy and Cantu - Bench players gotten for very little. When was the last time the reds had a former 100 RBI guy coming off the bench who was still in his prime?

    Bailey - Showed flashes of being a good pitcher, got his feet wet, look for good thinkg next year.

    Stubbs - Good second half. Glad to see him start to play well

    Disappointments

    Coffey - What was that you said about wanting to be a closer in spring training?

    Stanton - Did you really fall that far?

    Narron - Why were you around for that long?

    8th inning - Why?

    Jr. - Only because he didn't hit #600 this year and us fans have to wait another season

    Freel - Do you deserve a spot on the 08 roster?

    Saarloos - Are you really that bad?

    Maj - Are you bad or not healthy?

  15. #14
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I think RFS was referring to Edwin, not Homer.
    I think it was Homer.

    And as I've said since the first time it was mentioned, I think it was a terrible mistake to bring Homer up when we did. An unacceptable risk, handled badly with all the publicity, and for nothing in a lost season.

  16. #15
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Highlight and Lowlights of 2007

    Yeah, I was talking about Homer.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25