Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to be the Reds manager in 2008?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jerry Mackanin

22 13.25%
  • Tony La Russa

34 20.48%
  • Bob Brenly

11 6.63%
  • Joe Girardi

44 26.51%
  • Dusty Baker

3 1.81%
  • An unnamed manager

52 31.33%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you want to manage the Reds in 2008?

Who do you want to manage the Reds in 2008?

I am now opening this poll to vote for the next Reds manager. I am presenting as candiates Jerry Mackanin, Bob Brenly, Tony La Russa, Joe Girardi, Dusty Baker, and adding a sixth alternative for those of you who support an alternative manager. For once I will not support the interim manager and I will vote for Joe Girardi. He proved to me he can handle young players in Florida, and I want to see him do it in Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who do you want to manage the Reds in 2008?

Jerry Mackanin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I voted for Girardi but I would be happy with Brenly too. Baker is the worst pitcher abuser of the bunch. Mackanin would be a decent manager but I would at least try to bring in a proven winner.

Senor Votto

Degenerate10 would be a good choice

My mistake. I meant to say Pete Mackanin. Submit your vote for Mackanin despite my error.

Girardi... seemed to do a pretty good job in developing some young people in Florida. We got some young guys ourselves coming up.

La Russa, don't like the guy but I want to see the Reds win. We have had enough of these nice guys being managers. I want a manager who has been a proven winner for awhile now.

La Russa has always had a lot of talent around him. It's easy to be a proven winner when you have a good team.

Barry Larkin

Anybody other Girardi.
    Why is everyone in love with this guy. First, he took a much more talented team than the Reds last year to a worse record, and tee'd off his boss and players so much that he got fired after one year. Anyone who has read up on this guys knows that the Marlin players were glad he was fired.
    So he doesn't win, and his players hate him. Yeah, let's go give him lots of money to do the same thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    La Russa has always had a lot of talent around him. It's easy to be a proven winner when you have a good team.
    Not sure I want LaRussa here next year, but LaRussa does not always have a lot of talent around him. Look at his rosters, he always had players put up great numbers, but they were not all great players. He has the ability to bring out the best in players, and find the perfect roles for them. Look at Russ Springer and Ryan Franklin this year. He seems to do it every year.

He has always had competitive teams in St.Louis and Oakland. We have a different situation here in Cincinnati.

He has always had competitive teams in St.Louis and Oakland. We have a different situation here in Cincinnati.
    Completely agree, the teams he had in Oakland and St. Louis were better than the current Reds team, but the teams he inherited both times got better with him at the helm. Just saying he has an ability to make the players he has play their best.
    Still not sure he has much left in him, and is kinda annoying as a person, so not my first choice.

Really? I respectively disagree. He's had a few superstars from time to time, but the teams built around those superstars have been filled with average talent. With the exception of Pujols, last season's WS winning team was quite average talent-wise.

They've done a decent job of finding good pitching, but even there I don't think they've spent tons of money. I think LaRussa deserves lots of credit for what he has done at St. louis, like him or not.

I'm not a huge fan of LaRussa myself, but this organization needs an established manager who knows how to win. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

And I've said it before, Girardi gets way too much of the credit for what Florida did last season. The team was full of talented rookies who had nothing to lose and played the entire season stress-free. I credit the players much more than anything Girardi did.

Write-in vote for --> "Does it really even matter?"

Until the Reds get an owner and a front office that know how to work in conjuntion to build a winner, it wouldn't matter if they brought Casey Stengel back from the dead.

Turn Off Ads?