Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Baker as new manager

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds may favor Baker

I am ready to revolt. If they hire him my madness might get up to where it was when we got Tony Womack.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Senor Votto

Lord please don't let him manage the Reds.

RedsZone will have a meltdown if Baker is hired.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    RedsZone will have a meltdown if Baker is hired.
    I might not come on the board for a while so I won't be suspended from the site again if Baker is hired.

NO!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I might not come on the board for a while so I won't be suspended from the site again if Baker is hired.
    I think I may do the same. If this happens I advised Bailey and Cueto not to show up next year. Maybe they can prolong their careers a little bit.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Aww come on whats wrong with having Dusty "pitch em till his arm falls off" Baker as the manager?

This could be good. Lance McAlister wrote on his blog not long after Jerry Narron was fired and all the speculation started about who would get the full time gig that he would leave town if Baker got the job.

Let's see if Lance sticks to his guns.

A good leader in the clubhouse and if he gets the job lets hope that he learned not to let young ptichers throw 140 pitches everytime out. I think the Reds could do alot worse that the Lizard.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The only draw back to Dusty is that he blew out Woods and Prior's arms. To me that seems like a plus, since he is a very intelligent man, and I assume has learned from this.
    That is what most posters don't understand, that managers can learn from their mistakes and get better.
    Dusty was three time manager of the year, and he wins everywhere he goes.
    C.Trent broke down the two most important skills a mangager must have, I agree with him.
    1) manage the game, pitch by pitch
    2) manage the players and the clubhouse.

Dusty gets and A in my book on both counts and probably an A+ on the second.
    I would love to see him as the next Reds manager.

I've heard Harang and Bailey are already calling Dr. James Andrews.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The only draw back to Dusty is that he blew out Woods and Prior's arms.
    I'm not a Baker fan either, but I think this argument, while valid, is debatable. How do we really know if how Dusty used Wood and Prior had anything to do with their injuries? How do we not know if they didn't already have arm problems (problems that had not yet surfaced) before Dusty got a hold of them? How do we know if Dusty had used them any differently if they still wouldn't have gotten injured? Did any of the young pitchers in San Francisco develop similar problems while Dusty was there?

I think it's become way too easy to jump all over Dusty when it comes to blaming him for the injuries to Wood and Prior because we really don't know for sure. I know this idea won't be popular here, but just looking at it from a different viewpoint. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The only draw back to Dusty is that he blew out Woods and Prior's arms. To me that seems like a plus, since he is a very intelligent man, and I assume has learned from this.
    That is what most posters don't understand, that managers can learn from their mistakes and get better.
    Dusty was three time manager of the year, and he wins everywhere he goes.
    C.Trent broke down the two most important skills a mangager must have, I agree with him.
    1) manage the game, pitch by pitch
    2) manage the players and the clubhouse.

Dusty gets and A in my book on both counts and probably an A+ on the second.
    I would love to see him as the next Reds manager.
    Wood and Prior aren't the only two problems with Dusty as a manager. Jay Bruce posted this in another thread, and I hope he doesn't mind if I post it here as it's very pertinent to the discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce
    Besides ruining the arms of promising pitchers, the other huge problem I have with Baker is that he doesn't value On-Base Percentage. This is a guy who wanted Cesar Izturis, Tony Womack, Ronny Cedeno and Neifi Perez on the roster at the same time!

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage, clogging up the bases isn't that great to me". Baker said this after he was asked if he thought his team needed to walk more, since they had only a .318 OBP. This quote shows a complete lack of understanding for the game, and is proof that Baker should never go near a team as manager again.
    Why would you want a manager whose philosophy on offense is "clogging up the bases isn't that great"?

Big difference with Lou at the wheel this year for the Cub.

Dusty would never have used Ryan Theriot at short. Dusty would have found a way to keep Neffi Perez and other "over the hill never weres" in other positions. Dusty would not have had Fontenot on the roster. He would have kept Michael Barret and would have never found out about G. Soto behind the plate.

Do you want Dusty to be in charge of the great young players on the Reds? no way baby

Lou had the vision to experiment, unlike Dusty.

Turn Off Ads?