Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Baker as new manager

Re: Reds hire Baker as new manager

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Were you paying attention when DB managed the Cub? If so, you have no reason to be positive.
    I watched a lot of games when Dusty was in Chicago. I think that the pressure got to him. I don't know how much he learned from that experience, but whatever he did learn, I hope it helps. He does give this team some name recognition. Atleast I have heard of him. Honestly, who had heard of some of our last managers before they got here?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I watched a lot of games when Dusty was in Chicago. I think that the pressure got to him. I don't know how much he learned from that experience, but whatever he did learn, I hope it helps. He does give this team some name recognition. Atleast I have heard of him. Honestly, who had heard of some of our last managers before they got here?
    The pressure got to him? doh!

What do you know about Eric Wedge? How about Bob Melvin? Clint Hurdle? big names? hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    The pressure got to him? doh!

What do you know about Eric Wedge? How about Bob Melvin? Clint Hurdle? big names? hmmmmmmm
    I don't exactly get what you are trying to say here. The pressure did get to him. I know a little bit about those guys. Atleast I have heard of them.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I don't exactly get what you are trying to say here. The pressure did get to him. I know a little bit about those guys. Atleast I have heard of them.
    THE PRESSURE GOT TO HIM? what, are you kidding? good luck with Dusty, dude.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

[QUOTE=Mutaman;1480767]
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    My optimism for this team steadily heading in the right direction the past 3-4 months is utterly dashed, QUOTE]

Winning 72 games in the worst division in baseball certainly gives one grounds for optimism. And now we've hired a guy about whom the big knock seems to be that he could only win one division title with that storied organization, the Cubs. Calm down.
    Winning 72 games has NOTHING to do with my optimism. My optimism has more to do with the Reds cutting ties with Ellison (et al), the play of EE, Phillips, Dunn, Harang, Burton, the hope the Reds would be picking up Dunn's option and hiring a manager that had a track record of dealing with and developing young players.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

There is no way of telling what Baker told Reds management about some of his past managing moves, including blowing out Wood's and Prior's arms. I hope he has learned players need to take walks, to not overwork starting pitchers, and to treat young prospects with the same respect he gives veterans. He has shown an ability to take teams to the playoffs and I hope he can do that in Cincinnati. I am willing to give him a chance, but he needs to show all Reds fans that he has learned from his past mistakes. If he has and can bring winning back to the Reds, we should all be willing to give him a se chance.

Someone please tell me why this is wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I think the criticism with regard to overruse of pitchers and his preference for veterans is overrated.

Wood had arm problems before Dusty came (TJ surgery in '99) and Prior has only been injured once in a non-freak play during the regular season (the rest of his injuries occurred during Spring Training).

As for his preference for veteran players, I'm not sure he has had much young talent to work with, so his use of veterans was out of necessity. I could be wrong about that, as I haven't looked back to be sure, but I'm not thinking of any young player that he wrongfully held back.

The concerning thing to me is that we will turn to small ball, and his comments about walks are not encouraging. But, its not difficult to change your mind about something like that. If the Reds have reason to believe that he no longer discourages walks, I think its a really good hire.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

TinaMarie

~~~ Dusty isnt even cute ~~~

~~~ Ugh ~~~

Senor Votto

From Trent

Dusty reax

The Reds sent this from Dusty's agent, my ol' pal Greg Genske: "Dusty is extremely excited to join the Cincinnati Reds with its rich history—and looks forward to helping re-establish the legacy of the Big Red Machine."

Aaron Harang: "I think he’s going to be a good addition to our team. He’s got a track record, he knows how to win. I think he’s going to demand quality play from his players. He’s not going to be the type of guy who is not afraid of benching a guy for not hustling."

Bronson Arroyo: "To get it out of the way quick is great, instead of dragging it out and going through five or six interviews and waiting until the last minute to make a decision. It’s good for the organization to get going in the right direction."

Marty Brennaman: "I don’t think you can deny his track record. I was even surprised at it after I looked at it. If you want to talk about a guy with 9 winning seasons."

Rich Aurilia: "I think it’s great, he’s the type of guy players want to play for it’s like having another guy on the team. He'd love to play. He'd like to put the uniform on. I think it’s a great hire, he's a great character guy and a great communicator. He treats everyone the same. I think he’ll enjoy the ownership group and they’re going in the right direction."

Kent Mercker: "I think it’s a great hire. Being the prognosticator I am, if they’re going to make a change, I thought Dusty would be a great candidate. He brings instant street credibility. It’s a name everyone has heard of. As a player, he’s played in the World Series, he can relate to players, because he was a player. The one thing I got from him, he knew every one of his players, he knew their wives names, he knew what they liked to eat. He took the time to get to know the 25 guys he was going to battle with."

Pete Mackanin: "Today I’m just digesting the news, trying to figure out what the plan is. I think I’m just going to start calling other teams and try to get a job. There may or may not be something for me in the organization. It’s probably unlikely as a coach, but I don’t think that’s been ruled out. I’m just going to start making phone calls."

Jeff Brantley: "I think it’s awesome. I think the Reds will benefit greatly by having Dusty at the wheel. I know there are naysayers, but I’ve played for him. I know what it’s like to play for a young manager, I know what it’s like to play for a guy who has played a long time. Dusty’s very good. He’s about winning. The one thing I’ve always loved about Dusty is he’s a guy who gets guys to play their best."

"He knows how to teach you how to hit, too. You can bet your bottom dollar that there won’t be any slumps swinging the bat."

"Everyone’s knock on Dusty is not understanding pitchers, but the thing about it is he does understand. But when you have your main pitcher is basically hurting himself, which was Prior and you have another guy with the worst mechanics in the game in Kerry Wood. Those guys were going to get hurt, no matter who was manager. He just ended up getting kicked in the teeth for it."

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Ok, let me first admit and reiterate that I am against the hiring of Dusty as Red's manager. I have found nothing he has stated on ESPN to be particularly enlightning. Ludwig Reds Fan brought up something I had forgotten with his comments about Latin players. Plus, the points brought up earlier about possible run-ins with Marty, Thom and Jeff in the booth is very valid. The Lizard got Chip Caray and Steve Stone run in Chi-town. (Wait, maybe that wasnt such a bad thing). Plus, why the rush?? I would have loved to seen how things would have turned out with LaRussa in St. Louis. However, I am not ready to turn my back on my team, leave town or jump off a bridge. I am willing to see how things turn out. If Dusty should be able to turn around our "Power of Mediocrity"; I will gladly be the first to admit I was wrong.

See ya at Redsfest!

Senor Votto

I don't think this one's been posted yet

In defense of Dusty
    Brantley, players like Reds' choice of Baker
    BY JOHN FAY

Dusty Baker, who will be announced Monday as the 60th field manager in Reds history, is known as a players’ manager.

Just ask Reds radio announcer Jeff Brantley, who played for Baker in 1993.

“I love Dusty,” Brantley said Sunday. “I’d play for Dusty anytime.”

Baker will formally be announced Monday at noon and has a three-year contract with the team through the 2010 season.

The choice has already drawn criticism from some Reds fans. Almost as soon as Baker emerged as the leading candidate for the job last week, message boards and sports talk show phone lines lit up with unhappy fans.

Much of the criticism centers on how Baker handles pitchers. Critics say he ignores pitch counts and tends to leave pitchers in games too long.

Brantley, who played for Baker in San Francisco, knows all about the raps on the man he considers a good friend. He has a different perception of Baker.

“He took the blame for the injuries to (Cubs star pitchers) Kerry Wood and Mark Prior,” Brantley said. “I don’t think that was his fault. I never had a problem with the way Dusty handled me when I pitched for him.”

Baker, who played for 19 seasons with the Braves, Dodgers, Giants and Athletics, has established a solid track record as a manager.

He’s been named the National League manager of the year three times by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America and has taken his teams to the playoffs four times.

His Giants made the World Series in 2002, where they lost in seven games to the Anaheim Angels.

Baker left San Francisco for the Chicago Cubs after the 2002 season. He guided the Cubs to within five outs of a World Series appearance in 2003, and his club won 89 games in 2004.

But the Cubs slipped to 79-83 in 2005, and 66-96 in 2006, and Baker was fired.

Brantley said Baker took the hit for a weak Cubs bullpen.

“Dusty had a terrible bullpen those years,” Brantley said. “He took the fall for that.”

Current Reds ace Aaron Harang, who went 16-6 in 2007, has heard the knocks on Baker and isn’t worried.

“It’s not a concern for me,” Harang said. “I’ll tell (current Reds pitching coach Dick Pole) how I feel. I’ll tell them whether I can go another inning or not. It’s all about communication.”

Harang heard the news about Baker while watching the American League Championship Series.

“From what I’ve heard, guys really like playing for him,” Harang said. “He has a good reputation as a manager.”

Part of that reputation comes from Baker’s ability to manage personalities. In San Francisco, he kept the team together despite the ego of slugger Barry Bonds. He did the same with the Cubs, where Sammy Sosa ruled the clubhouse.

“He had two of the most high-profile players ever to play the game when they were going through rocky times,” Brantley said. “I’m talking about (Barry) Bonds and (Sammy) Sosa. Dusty handled them both well.

“That’s the key. It ain’t going to be the pitching staff. It’s going to be about how he handles (Ken Griffey Jr.).”

Rich Aurilia, the former Red who played for Baker in San Francisco, doesn’t think Baker will have problems in Cincinnati.

“Dusty knows how to get the most out of guys,” Aurilia said. “He’s like having another player. He’d go out and play if he could.”

Aurilia said Baker still calls him and asks how he’s doing.

“Dusty gets to know you off the field,” Aurilia said. “A lot of managers don’t do that.”

Ken Griffey Sr. is a friend of Baker’s. They got to know each other from playing against one another.

“He’ll do an excellent job,” Griffey said. “He’s patient. He understands players from playing for 20 years. He lets players play.”

Another criticism of Baker is that he has a thin skin and doesn’t like to be second-guessed. Whether that’s valid doesn’t matter to Marty Brennaman, the lead radio announcer for the Reds who is not one to keep his opinions private.

Brennaman said he’ll continue to ask the tough questions.

“Most pregame shows tell you nothing because the questions are softballs,” Brennaman said. “If he does something that backfires the night before, I’m going to ask him about it. I’ve done that with all the mangers.

“If he bristles at that, then somebody else is going to be doing the show.”

Brennaman’s partner, Brantley, said that Baker has the ability to learn from his mistakes.

“Dusty’s a very intelligent baseball person,” Brantley said. “He knows his strengths and weaknesses.”

Inept organization. At least I have Kentucky football.

What ever happened to the "no major MLB announcements until after the World Series" rule....?????

Here are the pitch counts for Mark Prior's last ten starts of 2003 (the last three are from the playoffs):

Prior was 23 years old in 2003. That's an average of 124 pitches per start. Eek.

The concerns about keeping pitchers in with high pitch counts and relying too much on veterans are valid ones. I have heard he is a player's manager, and I have hopes he will treat all his players the same. Blue made some excellent points, but Baker will need to show in 2008 that the fears fans have are groundless, and that he has learned from his past mistakes. If he can do that , and bring winning baseball back to Cincinnati, most of us should support him as manager

Turn Off Ads?