Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Baker as new manager

Re: Reds may favor Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Wood and Prior aren't the only two problems with Dusty as a manager. Jay Bruce posted this in another thread, and I hope he doesn't mind if I post it here as it's very pertinent to the discussion:

Why would you want a manager whose philosophy on offense is "clogging up the bases isn't that great"?
    Again, my point is that managers can learn. Everyone now understands the advantage of OBP is important. I think Dusty learned a lot in Chicago. Also, you can disect him all you want, but you can't argue against the fact that he wins.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bob Brenly wins too and at least he's won a championship. If the Reds want to hire a proven winner Id take Brenly before Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Again, my point is that managers can learn. Everyone now understands the advantage of OBP is important. I think Dusty learned a lot in Chicago. Also, you can disect him all you want, but you can't argue against the fact that he wins.
    How many World Series rings does he have as a manager?

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Again, my point is that managers can learn.
    I guess, but you're pretty much asking him to change his fundamental philiosophy on how baseball works.

BTW, while he was doing all that winning - yet never once getting a ring - Wood and Prior, who were two of the most promising young pitchers of their generation, became afterthoughts. I just don't trust him managing Bailey and Cueto.

Thank God Steves Gone

Even if he sucks the Reds will finally get some attention with him at the helm. Because you know how much ESPN loves Dusty.
    In This Man I Trust .. A Little Bit

I never thought there could be something to make me give up rooting for the Reds, but if they hired Dusty... well, that might be the only decision that would make me re-think that stand long and hard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I guess, but you're pretty much asking him to change his fundamental philiosophy on how baseball works.

BTW, while he was doing all that winning - yet never once getting a ring - Wood and Prior, who were two of the most promising young pitchers of their generation, became afterthoughts. I just don't trust him managing Bailey and Cueto.
    I don't trust him managing the pitching staff of my softball team.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanWC View Post
    Bob Brenly wins too and at least he's won a championship. If the Reds want to hire a proven winner Id take Brenly before Baker.
    If Pete isn't considered, Brenly has my vote. He has expressed interest in the job, and he won a championship with nothing more than a decent team. I would think he can handle the all important task of controlling the clubhouse. I really can't see Baker as a Krivsky kind of guy. Rather polar opposite approaches, don't you think? Krivsky=cautious. Baker=run 'em till they drop.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    I've heard Harang and Bailey are already calling Dr. James Andrews.
    Well my brother-in-law(to be in 1 week)'s brother did his internship with him a few years back, and now is like the 2nd best Doc at it in the country now, so I can maybe get them all a discount - if they will fly into Omaha and drive up to Sioux City... (or charter personal flights direct)

just let me know...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Don't forget Brenly batted the godawful Tony Womack lead-off for the better part of 2 seasons because he was "fast."

Dusty Baker Destroyer of all arms
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowboy View Post
    Even if he sucks the Reds will finally get some attention with him at the helm. Because you know how much ESPN loves Dusty.
    If we have to sink that low to get attention than this organization is definitly going in the wrong direction.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Who did Dusty destroy in Frisco?

Recovering Cubs Fan

If the Reds hire Dusty Baker, then I will finally know that there is indeed a God.

And I will know that God hates me and doesn't want me to watch baseball anymore.

I think its wrong to blame Dusty Baker for Mark Prior's arm injuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Prior#Injuries

Preseason injuries, freak injuries, batting practice injuries. Not really much Dusty could do about that.

I also think Kerry Wood's injuries are mainly attributable to poor mechanics.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Turn Off Ads?