Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Baker as new manager

Re: Reds may favor Baker

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    I find that very rude for Wyane not to return Pete's calls.
    I think CTR meant that as meaning Krivsky hasn't returned any of Trent's calls.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Reds close to hiring Dusty Baker?
    Friday, Oct 12, 2007 11:58 am EDT

The Cincinnati Reds may be getting close to naming a manager, sources with the team say. One candidate who has recently emerged is Dusty Baker, the former skipper of the Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants.

The Reds are known to have interviewed Baker. The team has spoken to at least one minority candidate, as is mandated by Major League Baseball. If hired, Baker would be the first African-American manager in Reds history.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
    This one's from Yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    It's true you can't really blame Baker for Kerry Wood. He gets lumped in with Mark Prior even though the circumstances were completely different. But a 22 year old should never lead the entire major leagues in pitches thrown, as Prior did in 03 under Baker. It happened because the Cubs were in a pennant race and had a mediocre bullpen. The point is that every manager has his strengths and weaknesses. If there's anything the Reds need their next manager to do well, it's handle pitchers and manage the bullpen. Baker's most glaring weaknesses.

LaTroy Hawkins was run out of Chicago on a rail because Baker is the only person in the entire world who to this day doesn't understand that Hawkins can't close games. When Hawkins' 9th inning struggles became too much to ignore Baker went to Chad Fox, who blew out his arm, ending his career, trying to blow away a hitter (I think this was against the Reds, actually). It was reportedly Jim Hendry who finally forced him to use Dempster in the role. Dempster was Hendry's choice from the start, but Baker insisted on Hawkins, even though most people blame Hawkins for the Cubs blowing the Wild Card lead the last two weeks of 04. In fact, if there was one thing Cub fans could console themselves with after that, it was that at least they knew Hawkins wouldn't be the closer next year. But the arrogant learning disabled Dusty Baker knew better. I'm getting pretty irritated just thinking about it; I won't even go into the Corey Patterson fiasco, except to say that if there's another thing the Reds need their next manager to do well, it's handle talented young players. Oops again.

I don't usually do this sort of thing, but I may have to make a few mental notes of which posters here are in favor of Dusty Baker, because my only entertainment the next year will be watching them turn on him as they realize the horrible thing that's happened. OH GOD PLEASE NO.

To say that I am in favor of Baker is a bit of stretch. As I stated I prefer Ken Macha. My point was that I would accept Baker as manager if he his hired, because I'm a Reds fan and he would be man appointed to lead my favorite team. Also, to lump Wood's arm problems in with Prior's and the blame laid on Baker is unfair.

I was just trying point out that two pitchers (actually one) having arm problems during Baker's time as Manager, allegedly from overuse is not necessarily a good reason to be against him as skipper.

Also, there are good points on Baker's resume. A .527 winning pct. 8 of his 14 seasons he finished 1st or 2nd (how many Reds manager's can we say that about?) and he doesn't throw his players under the bus. That last point may not mean much to us, but to the players I think that would mean a lot.

I'm fully aware of the flaws, but LaRussa, Torre, Girardi, Mackanin, etc., etc., all have flaws.

The Reds could do worse than Baker, but I agree they can do much better. But are those better choices, realistic choices?

As a Reds fan, whether, it's Baker, Mackanin, Torre, Macha, Valentine, or Billy Hatcher I hope they win as much as possible. If Baker produces the same results he has produced in the past I would definitely take it.
    Last edited by markymark69; 10-12-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    To say that I am in favor of Baker is a bit of stretch. As I stated I prefer Ken Macha. My point was that I would accept Baker as manager if he his hired, because I'm a Reds fan and he would be man appointed to lead my favorite team. Also, to lump Wood's arm problems in with Prior's and the blame laid on Baker is unfair.

I was just trying point out that two pitchers (actually one) having arm problems during Baker's time as Manager, allegedly from overuse is not necessarily a good reason to be against him as skipper.

Also, there are good points on Baker's resume. A .527 winning pct. 8 of his 14 seasons he finished 1st or 2nd (how many Reds manager's can we say that about?) and he doesn't throw his players under the bus. That last point may not mean much to us, but to the players I think that would mean a lot.

I'm fully aware of the flaws, but LaRussa, Torre, Girardi, Mackanin, etc., etc., all have flaws.

The Reds could do worse than Baker, but I agree they can do much better. But are those better choices, realistic choices?

As a Reds fan, whether, it's Baker, Mackanin, Torre, Macha, Valentine, or Billy Hatcher I hope they win as much as possible. If Baker produces the same results he has produced in the past I would definitely take it.
    Of course all managers have flaws. My entire point (which I'll try to be less rambling about) is that Baker's flaws would be particularly disastrous for the Reds. They do have some talented arms in the organization, but their pitching staff--the bullpen in particular -- is a bit of a mess. What they need is someone who's really good with pitchers to maximize their talents and establish proper roles. They also have some very good young bats, and what they need is someone who is very good at nurturing young players.

Although Dusty Baker does do some things well --particularly when you give him a roster full of talented veterans who already know their roles -- his weaknesses are with the pitching staff and the younger players. It's like he was handpicked to be the worst possible candidate for this particular organization.
    Last edited by Natty Redlocks; 10-12-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    As an Illinois resident who had to endure Baker bumbling the Cubs, may I simply add NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
    So I take it you liked Dusty?

Anywho... Please no Dusty, he's not quite the statue Jerry was in the dugout but he's far from a firey personality. I want someone with the fire in the belly or willing to get creative to try to win (like Sweet Lou and the Flubs).

More time means more choices
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds aren't saying anything about their managerial search.

So we're left to interpret their actions to figure out what's going on behind the walls of 100 Main Street.

For example, when the Reds didn't make it official with interim manager Pete Mackanin before the season ended, it was a clue they would look outside the organization.

The team has talked to at least one outside candidate, Dusty Baker. If Baker or another manager isn't named soon, it's a signal the Reds will wait to see if other candidates become available.

Two accomplished managers could come into play soon: Joe Torre of the New York Yankees and Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals. If the Reds want to take a shot at either, it makes sense to wait.

Of the three teams that have openings - Pittsburgh and Kansas City are the other two - the Reds seemingly have the most attractive situation. The picture gets muddier if La Russa replaces Torre in New York and the St. Louis job opens up.

It's clear the Reds have more than a cursory interest in Baker. He was at the Reds' facility in Sarasota, Fla., last week and has talked to Bob Castellini, the team's chief executive officer, several times.

But it's not necessarily a slam dunk that Baker will take the job if it's offered. He lives in California, and he has young children.

But he has told people close to him that he'd like to manage again, and he prefers the National League.

Baker's final season as a manager was his worst. He went 66-96 with the Chicago Cubs in 2006. He might want to show he's more like the manager who did so well in San Francisco, where he worked from 1993 through 2002 before leaving for Chicago.

Baker, 58, took the Giants to the World Series in 2002, and they finished in first place twice and second five times in his 10 years there. His teams won at least 90 games five times in his eight full seasons as Giants manager.

Former Red Rich Aurilia played for Baker during his San Francisco stint and is a huge fan.

"Anybody who gets him is lucky," Aurilia said of Baker.

Baker is known as a player's manager.

"Having Dusty is like having another player," Aurilia said. "He'd go out and play if he could. He's great to play for. He's a player's guy."

Is Baker the kind of guy the Reds are looking for?

We might know the answer to that soon.

Let's have Dusty go back to SF and he can get re-acquainted with Rich Aurilia. We don't want him here.

ESPN has just reported that Dusty Baker has accepted the Reds offer to be their new manager.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3062658
    Last edited by Chip R; 10-13-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: Reds hire Baker as new manager

If true, then Wayne and Bob...I fart in your general direction.

Not buying the misinformation. No Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    Not buying the misinformation. No Way.

Fine. Don't believe me.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I saw it on the ticker on ESPN as well...the groan coming out of my body at the time was an unnatural, never to be heard again noise.

it's true, they were reporting it on espn news. personally i could think of worse guys to manage this team, but time will tell i guess.

it's reported on there as a 3 year deal.

got alil captain in u?

this is a very intersting move atleast baker has experince and has taken a team to the world series. he has to manage the pitching staff better than he did in chitown.

i would think they'd say something to him about being strict on pitch counts considering the way they pampered bailey this season.

Well, he's an upgrade at least. Though that's not saying much. I'm going to save judgement on this move. I am not overly impressed, but I'm not greatly disapointed either. He's been to the WS, 3x NL Manager of the Year, he's got some credentials. Maybe this will turn out to be a good move. Time will be the judge for me.

Turn Off Ads?