Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just Say No...to Dusty!!!

Re: Just Say No...to Dusty!!!

All of the sudden I'm hoping for the status quo.

We love ya Pete!
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One View Post
    A good manager probably won't get much more out of the talent he has at hand than they normally give him. You can put as much stock as you want in team chemistry, intangibles, and so on, but ultimately, the manager can't make his players any better than they are. He won't turn a .250/.300/.310 utility guy into an All Star.

However, a bad manager can sabotage a team because he has ultimate control and say over lineups and pitcher usage. If you have a promising young OF who could conceivably post a .280/.370/.430 line over the course of a season, but instead start a washed up .300/.330/.410 hitter over him because the guy is a "veteran" and "knows how to win," you're going to decrease your team's run production. If you refuse to use a LHP who can only get right handed batters out as a LOOGY, you're more likely to see your pitching give up more runs.

The best managers maximize the resources at their disposal, but won't get much more (if any, depending who you ask) production out of his players. Bad managers will poorly utilize those resources and ultimately cause your team to produce less than it should.
    Well said.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

If they hire Dusty Baker then this longtime Red's fan is finally gonna switch his allegiance to the Indians over the Reds, until the day they fire the guy. I can't stand the man!

That toothpick knawing jerkweed ain't done jack as a manager except misplay, mis-manage, and waste what talent (including arms) that he has had, while making excuses. Nuff said.

I'd rather follow a Wahoo then a Yahoo.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-13-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    All of the sudden I'm hoping for the status quo.

We love ya Pete!
    At 41-39 he is a winner
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?