Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Leo Mazzone out as O's Pitching Coach

Leo Mazzone out as O's Pitching Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...643&type=story

Leo Mazzone, who came to the Orioles with a reputation as one of the best pitching coaches in the modern era, was fired Friday after only two seasons in that role.

"I spoke with Leo today and told him I appreciated his efforts here," Orioles manager Dave Trembley said in a statement. "Moving forward, I felt that we would be better served with someone else working with our young staff and that it was in his best interests and our best interests to give him an opportunity to look elsewhere now."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leo Mazzone out as O's Pitching Coach

Hmmmm.............Torre/ Mazzone in Cincy. Sounds really good to me

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

This is a classic example of how you have to "have the horses" to be a success...without Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz, Mazzone showed his true worth...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    This is a classic example of how you have to "have the horses" to be a success...without Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz, Mazzone showed his true worth...
    Daniel Cabrera was awesome this year. I don't really think they had a terrible year pitching wise. It's just that everybody's stats look bad when they pitch against the Yankees, Red Sox, and BlueJays.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Didn't the Orioles have a bunch of injuries to their pitching staff this year?

From the Orioles Injury List:
    3/23/07 Kris Benson Transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
    4/12/07 Jaret Wright Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 11, with right shoulder soreness.
    4/24/07 Scott Williamson Placed on the 15-day disabled list with right triceps tendon tightness.
    5/7/07 Adam Loewen Transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
    5/4/07 Adam Loewen Placed on 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 2, with a stress fracture in his left elbow.
    5/13/07 Jon Leicester Placed on the 15-day disabled list.
    6/17/07 Danys Baez Placed on 15-day disabled list with tendinitis in his right forearm.
    7/25/07 Chris Ray Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 21.

Right there is the closer, middle relief, 3 starters, couple who had good starts go down at various points in the year.

I would still bring Mazzone in to be our pitching coach in a NY minute.

Plus didnt he go to Baltimore to be the pitching coach with Sam Perlazzo who got fired?

Now that Dusty is the manager maybe he'll get Leo to join him.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:

[Dick] Pole returned to his roots as pitching coach for the Pawtucket Red Sox in 1992, then spent 1993-1997 on the coaching staff of the San Francisco Giants, under Dusty Baker.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:
    Interesting...
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by TDHND View Post
    Now that Dusty is the manager maybe he'll get Leo to join him.
    Pole has worked with Dusty before so I doubt that

It has been mentioned that Pole might be back, but as the bench coach. We could still see Mazzone as the pitching coach.

OK GREAT!!!

Turn Off Ads?