Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle for the Keg of Nails

Battle for the Keg of Nails

Hopefully this will be a close game but I fear the worst. The Cards could win a shootout if Harry Douglas and Mario Urrutia are back but without them (especially Douglas) it would take an out of character performance from the defense. I see this as the first major test for the Cincy defense. UofL's passing game is far beyond that of Rutgers and they're decent running the ball when they don't fall behind big early. Cincy has lived on turnovers but Brohm plays smart and doesn't throw many interceptions. The first quarter will likely set the tone. In their three losses Louisville has fallen behind big early and has to throw constantly to catch up. Another good performance by the Cincy defense and they'll affirm their position as a legit Big East contender.

How they compare:

U of L vs. UC
    Points scored: 44.0 - 43.3
    Points allowed: 30.7 - 12.7
    Rushing yards: 172.7 - 185.8
    Passing yards: 405.7 - 259.5
    Opp. Yards rushing: 161.2 - 85.0
    Opp. Yards passing: 283.3 - 255.2
    Turnover margin: +5 - +15

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Battle for the Keg of Nails

Dare I say that UC has the better team? I think the big difference is the discipline that BK has installed in his team. This team prepares and it shows on gameday. They aren't playing to get by, the are playing to win, and win big. You didn't see them play down to their opponents early in the year, and you probably won't see them change their game plan because they are playing teams like U of L and West Virginia. They play to their full ability as a team, and I don't even think you've seen all you are going to see out of BK's bunch. They are scary in the fact that they haven't played a full game IMO. They still have things to improve on that are very very fixable. Penalties are just part of it. They are a force that, although getting press, is largely unknown. Not only by fans and media, but also by themselves. I don't think they know what the ceiling is yet. Rutgers was a sloppy game against a tough opponent in which they still pulled out the win. I for one have been a fan since I can remember, but if your still waiting on a reason, the reason to believe is BK. He is the difference maker.

Well, since I'm an idiot and posted an identical thread can somebody tell me if the watch party at Schott Stadium is open to the public?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Well, since I'm an idiot and posted an identical thread can somebody tell me if the watch party at Schott Stadium is open to the public?
    Yes, it is open and free to the public. I think the field will close once the game starts but the stands will remain open to watch the game on the video board.

Here's the presser from UC:

CINCINNATI-- Due to the advance sellout of the Homecoming game on Saturday night, the University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics will be hosting a Football Watch Party on the CATSVISION videoboard, adjacent to Nippert Stadium, in Marge Schott Stadium. Admission is free to the public.

Starting at 6 p.m. the upper seating areas of Schott Stadium will open for fans to get a seat. All pregame activities on the field will close at 6:30 p.m. The field area will be closed off from all fan traffic during the football game.

The Bearcats are going for their 10th straight win on Saturday night when they host Louisville in the battle for the Keg of Nails. Homecoming activities begin at 1 p.m. at the UC Alumni Association tent. The parade begins at 3 p.m. and pregame activities begin in Varsity Village at 4:30 p.m. with kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. The game is nationally televised on ESPNU.

The University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics will also be hosting a Football Watch Party next Saturday, Oct. 20, at Schott Stadium when the Bearcats travel to Pittsburgh for the River City Rivalry game.

Next Saturday's party begins at 11 a.m. with the game kicking off at noon. Giveaways and door prizes will be distributed throughout the afternoon. The event is also free and open to the public.
    (My 5,000th post!! I'm only 46,000+ behind Krono.)
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-13-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

It appears Douglas will play for the Cards. Assuming Urrutia returns as well, I predict UL wins 38-28. Cincy allowed a mistake prone and passing-weak Rutgers team to score 23 and nearly win barring a late interception. Brohm makes Teel look like a high school quarterback in comparison and I think he puts up big numbers with his top two receivers back. Now about that defense... Hopefully the 28 points allowed isn't wishful thinking. What can I say? I'm an alum and season ticket holder.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    It appears Douglas will play for the Cards. Assuming Urrutia returns as well, I predict UL wins 38-28. Cincy allowed a mistake prone and passing-weak Rutgers team to score 23 and nearly win barring a late interception. Brohm makes Teel look like a high school quarterback in comparison and I think he puts up big numbers with his top two receivers back. Now about that defense... Hopefully the 28 points allowed isn't wishful thinking. What can I say? I'm an alum and season ticket holder.
    Only 16 of that 23 was scored by the O, which is pretty good considering the talent on Rutgers' offense. It is not as much as Louisville's, but there is a bunch there.

The factor you completely gloss over is Louisville wished it had Rutgers' defense this year, they might be undefeated as well for this game. But they don't, and UC wins this game by ATLEAST 2 touchdowns.

I don't see Louisville winning this game. The players and some of the coaches from what I hear are not buying into Kragthorpe's system. How does a team with Louisville's talent lose to Syracuse and Utah? I'll say 34-24 Bearcats. I'll be there.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I'm not going to pick an upset, but I would not be the least bit surprised if Louisville wins. UC allows a good amount of passing yards, and Brohm should do well.

I'll take Cincinnati by a TD, but I certainly would not put money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I don't see Louisville winning this game. The players and some of the coaches from what I hear are not buying into Kragthorpe's system. How does a team with Louisville's talent lose to Syracuse and Utah? I'll say 34-24 Bearcats. I'll be there.
    If Urrutia and Douglas play, there is no way the Cards score less than 35. How many they allow is the question.

By the way, much has been made about nothing regarding the player's "buying into" the system. He is a much more likeable coach than Petrino and the players appear to really want to win for him. As far as the system goes, the offense is the same as last year and the defense retains the same coordinator they've had for the past few years. Why is such a talented defense, so awful? I have no clue but it seems like sense they got burned badly in the Syracuse game they've played soft and are afraid of giving up another big play.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    If Urrutia and Douglas play, there is no way the Cards score less than 35. How many they allow is the question.
    Never mind. Urrutia is out along with two starting D-linemen. I'm glad I won't be able to watch this game.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

With LSU just losing, I believe Cincinnati currently has the longest winning streak in the country.

and so far my Colerain Cardinal players are showing up big.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Go Cats!

This game isn't on TV is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

ESPN U