Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Be #1 In College Football?

Re: Who Should Be #1 In College Football?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I do recognize that there are some good offenses in the Pac-10, but does ANYONE know how to play defense out there?
    We play defense about how the Big-10 plays offense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ohio State has a very good defense and can also score some points. A team will have to play their very best to beat Ohio State going down the stretch. I will be watching to see if there is another team that will seriously challenge them for the no.1 ranking.

I must say, no one deserves to be #1 right now more than Ohio State. They truly do control their own destiny... some others have made the point: sometimes the year picks you... this could be one of those years for the buckeyes.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I must say, no one deserves to be #1 right now more than Ohio State. They truly do control their own destiny... some others have made the point: sometimes the year picks you... this could be one of those years for the buckeyes.
    I wouldn't count on it. They played their first real team today and struggled to get a win.

Don't be shocked if Illinois, Wisconsin & Michigan don't get their lumps in and pull off at least one, if not more victories.

I picked Wisconsin to run the table this year so hopefully they prove they can at least play with the top dogs before the season is out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I wouldn't count on it. They played their first real team today and struggled to get a win.
    Michigan State is a real team? We were told that going into the Purdue game too (who, at the time, had the Big 10'S #1 offense overall). It was predicted to be a possible upset. OSU shut them down 27-7. I am one of the first to acknowledge that I am wary of this OSU team. I think their defense is better then last year's though. The only reason yesterday's game was a close as it was, was because of two very uncharacteristic turnovers by OSU in the 3rd quarter, which MSU's defense capitalized on for 14 pts.

The #1 ranked scoring offense in the Big 10, which is currently MSU, put a FG on the board and was held to under 200 total yards.

Don't be shocked if Illinois, Wisconsin & Michigan don't get their lumps in and pull off at least one, if not more victories.
    I'm assuming you're referring to OSU's games remaining? If so, then you left out next week's matchup with Penn State.

OSU got rattled in the 3rd quarter yesterday. No doubt. I want them to get rattled and possibly "woke up". They need to get in some tough battles this year to test their mettle IMO. Next week's game vs Penn State (at PSU) is going to be that battle IMO. Gonna be a hard fought game and OSU's biggest test up to this point of the season IMO. But I think OSU will pull it out (24-16 is my prediction).

I like Illinois, and thought they might give OSU at test. I really am impressed with their RB Mendenhall. But their passing game with Juice Williams makes them pretty one dimensional.

It's still going to come down to the last game of the season IMO - OSU at Michigan. I don't care what the records and stats say. Throw them out.

But if OSU were to play a West Virginia, or even a Kentucky right now. I don't know if they would win IMO. That is just how unsure I am of this OSU team. Solid defense, efficient offense.... but still wary.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-21-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Struggled to get the win? Come on, jm, you're smarter than this. We get that you hate OSU. That's fine, that's part of sports. We all have teams we just can't stand. But come on, dude. Did you watch the game? If you dislike them so much, it's not likely that you've taken a lot of time to watch them this year. Outside of two bonehead plays, they dominated from start to finish. They outgained MSU 422 - 185. And MSU might not be a great team, but their offense has been good all year. They managed to score a single field goal. The score was 24 - 0 in the middle of the third quarter. They didn't "struggle". They made a couple of mistakes that hurt them, but they were never really threatened.

People are WAY overblowing this "soft schedule" thing when it comes to the Bucks. One thing this year should have taught all of us is that it's not easy to win every game, even if your schedule isn't incredibly tough. And OSU has pretty much dominated every opponent up until today. And even though the final score was fairly close, if you watched the game, the two teams weren't close. It's not easy to go out and play that well every week. Even I was a skeptic most of the year, but I've become a convert. This team's defense is outstanding. The best in the country, IMO. And the offense has one of the best RBs in the country, two really good WRs, and a strong O-line. Add to that a QB who is smart and doesn't make a lot of mistakes and you've got a pretty good, but not great, offense.

They're legit, no matter how much people hate OSU. They're as good as anyone. They might not beat a few of the top tier teams if they were to actually play, but there's no one out there this year where you'd go into a game with them thinking they're clear underdogs. They could lose to a few of the teams out there, but they're also capable of beating them, too. They've given up 4 TDs this entire season on defense. They might very well lose, but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But if OSU were to play a West Virginia, or even a Kentucky right now. I don't know if they would win IMO. That is just how unsure I am of this OSU team. Solid defense, efficient offense.... but still wary.
    Those are two teams I don't think could play with OSU simply because they're one diminsional. Their offenses are good enough that they woudl actually put some points on the board. But they wouldn't put up high point totals. OSU's defense is good enough to slow them down and keep their point total reasonable. But both defenses wouldn't be able to keep OSU's offense from scoring.

The teams that could beat OSU are the ones who are more balanced. I think they'd struggle to beat USC or LSU. I think they'd struggle against Oregon as well. I know that they're not that balanced, and their defense is pretty bad, but they have the best offense in the country, IMO. Even Ohio State's defense would have a hard time slowing them down.

But all that said, I think Michigan could beat them at home this year, assuming Mike Hart plays.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think they'd struggle to beat USC or LSU. I think they'd struggle against Oregon as well.
    I think you can probably add Florida to that list as well.

If I could dream-schedule a game right now, I'd want Florida to play Oregon. It'd probably end up looking like a PS2 game with the difficulty turned WAAAYYY down.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think you can probably add Florida to that list as well.

If I could dream-schedule a game right now, I'd want Florida to play Oregon. It'd probably end up looking like a PS2 game with the difficulty turned WAAAYYY down.
    Yeah, I knew I was missing someone. Florida is the other team they'd struggle with.

I thought Vanderbilt was an all girls school.

Let me ask you MWM.....

Do you see similarities between this OSU offense, especially at the QB position (Boeckman = Krenzel as far as not being spectacular, but very smart/efficient) vs the '02 championship squad?

I really think this year's defensive squad is the best under Tressel's tenure.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Let me ask you MWM.....

Do you see similarities between this OSU offense, especially at the QB position (Boeckman = Krenzel as far as not being spectacular, but very smart/efficient) vs the '02 championship squad?

I think some of the comparisons are valid in terms of relying on the defense and younger players at the offensive skill positions, but Tressel trusts Boeckman more than he did Krenzel IMO. The offense is much more open than the 2002 offense, especially passing wise. Maybe with Beanie emerging against MSU Tress will get more conservative but so far he hasn't been afraid to throw the ball down field.

Krenzel only threw 12 TD passes during the entire 2002 season. Boeckman already has thrown for 18 TD's so far this season. Both defenses were great but I'd save making comparisons until we get through the next month of games against PSU, Illionois, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Let me ask you MWM.....

I think this offense might be a little better simply because Boekman is better than Krenzel. He just wasn't that good.

And this defense might be better as well. the similarities are there, no question.

Boeckman is better than Krenzel? Not sure just yet. Physically and arm strength/accuracy isn't not close. Craig Krenzel though had much better mobility and didn't turn the ball over. Is Boeckman going to do that when he faces a real defense? That is the test for this season, IMO.
    The Oline in 02 was better though. Cordle and Person will and have struggled to get any push against good fronts. Steve Rehring is also going to completely blow his assignment once or twice a game. The 02 line didn't get great pushes either, but they usually gave Krenzel as much time as he needed. This line at times has made some major mistakes.

The defense is in no way better, IMO. That Miami team was loaded with offensive superstars and the Buckeyes dominated their front. Miami had a great college Qb and had pro players almost everywhere but the interior line. Dustin Fox might be a notch below Donald Washington and Donnie Nickey is below Russel. But the front four was absolutely amazing and Gamble/Doss played great. Jenkins and Kurt Coleman are complete studs also, just I'll give the slight edge to 02 because they proved it against an incredible offense and the front four was dominating.

I love the depth and talent of this years defense front, I just don't see the maturity and domination that Darrion Scott, Tim Anderson, Kenny Peterson, and Will Smith provided. Marcus Green was also a great backup. All 11 players that started on that defense were drafted into the NFL. How amazing is that?

This years team won't be able to say that I don't think. I'm not knocking this group at all, I just can't say they compare yet. Larrimore, Gholston, Denlinger, and Wilson/Rose are great players, just much less experience. At LB the Buckeyes have better players this year though, I just get extremely worried about Marcus Freeman in space. For a SAM he has some serious tackling issues in space. I just take Dline domination over everything else. It's the most important group of players on any football team, IMO.

Clarett is light years better than Beanie Wells also. Wells is gonna be a very good player, but other than MSU he hasn't shown near the vision that Maurice did.
    Last edited by Cedric; 10-21-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I think the game with Michigan State was so close mainly because of the turnovers. I think that will be the real weakness Ohio State has this year. As long as they don't beat themselves with turnovers, they have a good chance to win most games if not dominate.

Turn Off Ads?