Turn Off Ads?

Thread: movies edited for tv

movies edited for tv

Was watching a few minutes of Rain Man on tv tonight..the scene where Dustin Hoffman says "Uh-Oh, fart" in the phonebooth..they changed it and it was poorly dubbed to-"Uh-Oh, passed gas"............They had to censor the word fart????....some of these movies just need to be left as is..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: movies edited for tv

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Was watching a few minutes of Rain Man on tv tonight..the scene where Dustin Hoffman says "Uh-Oh, fart" in the phonebooth..they changed it and it was poorly dubbed to-"Uh-Oh, passed gas"............They had to censor the word fart????....some of these movies just need to be left as is..
    Along the same lines the word "drugs" was bleeped out of the song "Rockstar" by Nickleback on the radio.

Are kids so mentally unstable that the mere mention of the word "drugs" will send them off into a meth starved frenzy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Along the same lines the word "drugs" was bleeped out of the song "Rockstar" by Nickleback on the radio.

Are kids so mentally unstable that the mere mention of the word "drugs" will send them off into a meth starved frenzy?
    The FCC has become so arbitrary in how they enforce their "rules" it's ridiculous. All it takes is one person filling out a form at the FCC's website to initiate an "investigation" if the FCC so chooses. They raised the fines up to a quarter of a million dollars per offense... basically, because broadcasters are so scared to death of being fined and/or losing their licenses, combined with having no real idea of what is allowable and what is "over the line," they are censoring more and more innocuous content than ever before.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-21-2007 at 09:06 AM.

tv networks are very inconsistent with their censoring. they censor out harmless words they consider to be filthy, but sometimes they leave in certain phrases that don't have filthy words but have a filthy meaning. This is a PG-rated board, so I will not elaborate, but you all know what I mean.
    Last edited by Hap; 10-21-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The FCC has become so arbitrary in how they enforce their "rules" it's ridiculous. All it takes is one person filling out a form at the FCC's website to initiate an "investigation" if the FCC so chooses. They raised the fines up to a quarter of a million dollars per offense... basically, because broadcasters are so scared to death of being fined and/or losing their licenses, combined with having no real idea of what is allowable and what is "over the line," they are censoring more and more innocuous content than ever before.
    No kidding. Bleeping out blatent bad words is one thing, but when they start going all willy-nilly on words that *might* be considered bad by some it turns into a big mess quickly. The 7 dirty words is pretty straightforward, and I think most can at least live with them being bleeped, or agree that it's not best for the youngsters to hear a stream of F-words.

But bleeping out the word "drug". Sillyness to a factor of stupidity.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    They had to censor the word fart????
    George Carlin had a famous routine in the 70's called "The 7 Dirty Words You Can Never Say on Television." "Fart" wasn't one of the 7 words, but it was on a supplemental list of 3 words that George said would never be allowed either. I'll leave it to you to look up the words on George's lists, but I remember it very well. AFAIK, none of the words on George's lists have been used on broadcast television in this decade without a corresponding FCC fine.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    George Carlin had a famous routine in the 70's called "The 7 Dirty Words You Can Never Say on Television." "Fart" wasn't one of the 7 words, but it was on a supplemental list of 3 words that George said would never be allowed either. I'll leave it to you to look up the words on George's lists, but I remember it very well. AFAIK, none of the words on George's lists have been used on broadcast television in this decade without a corresponding FCC fine.

Oh, I don't know about that. I hear the 2nd word and the last word quite often on broadcast TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Petit_Tourette

If you haven't seen it, you should. It's hilarious as well as extremely vulgar.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. I hear the 2nd word and the last word quite often on broadcast TV.
    I do remember NYPD Blue breaking the barrier on George's second word in the 90s, but I haven't heard it lately. I don't ever recall hearing word #7 on broadcast TV, so you must be hearing it on shows that I don't watch.
    /r/reds

Die Hard (Edited)

"Yippe-ki-yay Mr. Falcon"

I about died from laughter the first time I heard it. They should have left it at "yippee-ki-yay".

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Die Hard (Edited)

"Yippe-ki-yay Mr. Falcon"

I about died from laughter the first time I heard it. They should have left it at "yippee-ki-yay".
    Me too. That was the first time that I would have wanted plain censorship instead of replacment words. That was really hilarious.

I was watching espnews the other day, and the Boston Red Sox news confrence was on. Curt Schilling said the s word, and they left the interview on. That really suprised me. I always thought that you couldn't say that on tv.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

from die hard 3 i believe--racist melon farmer

Turn Off Ads?