Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel bad for Mackannin?

Do you feel bad for Mackannin?

Although I think Baker is a decent choice, I feel for Pete. He did a great job with the Reds and really seemed to know how to relate to the players, media, and manage a game. I will miss him. Anyone feel the same way?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you feel bad for Mackannin?

I think the Reds should have waited until after the World Series to make a decision. Naming a manager this quickly is telling Pete that he had no chance. So answering your question, yes, I do feel bad for him considering the job he did in July & August. He brought us from 17 1/2 out of first to 6 1/2.

The Reds should also have waited on the status of Joe Torre.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I feel bad for him as well. I think he deserved a shot,but I guess they wanted a big name. I agree they should have waited to see what happened with Torre.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

As a baseball lifer, Pete has been fired many times. Usually, it was by a dopey GM who does not have the decency to treat his loyal employees with dignity and respect.

The same happened here - no dignity or respect, just kicked to the curb.

no, he used coffey and stanton excessively and sang a paean to griffey

Pittsburgh would be nuts not to hire Pete.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    He's still undercontract with the Reds

Although I feel bad for Pete, I think that this oppertunity will be very valuable to his future. I think that the exposeure he got coaching the Reds this year will give him plenty of oppertunities.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Although I feel bad for Pete, I think that this oppertunity will be very valuable to his future. I think that the exposeure he got coaching the Reds this year will give him plenty of oppertunities.
    good point, Go.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    no, he used coffey and stanton excessively and sang a paean to griffey
    I didn't know Pete was a singer or that he ever formally praised KGJ.

As for the pitchers, he was stuck with them.

He did an ok job and got an opportunity to build a case for being hired somewhere. I don't feel bad for him at all. One thing he showed conclusively is how bad Narron was.

I don't know that I feel bad for him. Sure, he could've been a good manager, but I think the front office is looking at the past three interim managers as a deterrent. Castellini has said he wanted a "big name" manager. Seems as though he's gotten his wish. I just hope this will show any free agents the Reds are willing to pay and a trying to win. I don't know how this hiring will turn out, but I don't think Baker should be judged solely on what he did in Chicago. It seems that no matter who the Cubs have guiding their ship, they will stink regardless. A poor playing Cubs team always makes my day better...

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    The new Pirate GM is supposedly waiting on Cleveland's season to end so he can hire Joel Skinner. That said, with all the house cleaing going on over there in Pittsburgh, Pete is close enough (left that org after 2005) to know a lot of the talent still in that system but removed enough not to be labelled part of the failed regime.

KC's search seems to have stalled out. I would think he would also be a candidate there.

I believe Pete's current contractual committement to the Reds expires at the end of October. The Reds might offer him something for next year; but after the way this played, just how it was handled more even more than him not getting the job, I would think he will move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    The new Pirate GM is supposedly waiting on Cleveland's season to end so he can hire Joel Skinner. That said, with all the house cleaing going on over there in Pittsburgh, Pete is close enough (left that org after 2005) to know a lot of the talent still in that system but removed enough not to be labelled part of the failed regime.

KC's search seems to have stalled out. I would think he would also be a candidate there.

I believe Pete's current contractual committement to the Reds expires at the end of October. The Reds might offer him something for next year; but after the way this played, just how it was handled more even more than him not getting the job, I would think he will move on.
    I would definitly feel sorry for him if he goes to Kansas City, though that team finally seems to be on an upswing.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?