Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Junior's influence

Junior's influence

Just wondering if Griffey had any input on the hire..wouldn't surprise me a bit...and i bet he wont be going anywhere ...
    Reds fan since 1970

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Junior's influence

He may very well have given input on it,I don't want him to go anywhere anyway.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Griffey doesn't own the team and he's not paid to make those decisions. What is the point of this speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Griffey doesn't own the team and he's not paid to make those decisions. What is the point of this speculation?
    Its a question that is warranted. In terms of superstar status and league reputation Griffey is the Alpha-Dog of this team. I'd imagine most teams might value their #1 superstars input. Don't turn this into a "Is Jr. a primadonna" thread...it was just a question wondering aloud if the Reds spoke to Jr. about the hire...while unneccesary it is a distinct possibility.

team owners are the smartest baseball minds, no, smartest sports minds, no, smartest people on earth. GMs are a close second in intelligence. do you really think they would ask a high priced player who they should name manager?

has never happened and never will.

Actually... you just turned this into a "Is Jr. a primadonna" thread. Im not going to defend or attack Griffey, I was just curious why we should speculate over a question that none of us can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Actually... you just turned this into a "Is Jr. a primadonna" thread. Im not going to defend or attack Griffey, I was just curious why we should speculate over a question that none of us can answer.
    ok, remove KGJ's name and insert the name of your choice. Stick to the point about consulting players about any decisions.

The point is - The big shots have all the answers. I can answer it. No speculation - just facts.

I would imagine since this is his last year in Cincinnati, he had very limited influence.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would imagine since this is his last year in Cincinnati, he had very limited influence.

Amen. Agreed. I'm not sure management has alot of respect for Junior anyway. I always imagine they are licking their chops for either his contract to be up or for some team to come wanting him in a trade.

I have my doubts that he will even be around for next season. They might as well unload him now, and sell high. If not, they may risk having to keep him, and having to pay the buyout on his contract.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Amen. Agreed. I'm not sure management has alot of respect for Junior anyway. I always imagine they are licking their chops for either his contract to be up or for some team to come wanting him in a trade.
    I think that's a real stretch. Junior's salary is not all that steep for the numbers he put up this past season. Plus, he puts butts in the seats and a ton of jerseys with his name on it sell, I'm sure management likes that.

Maybe I'm 100 percent dead wrong...but it doesn't seem that far fetched for a team to call up a future HOF and say "hey, what are your thoughts on Dusty Baker...or whoever"...not saying they'd let the superstar make the choice, but there are some players (I don't think Jr. fits that mold in Cincy) that would have at least earned a phonecall to check to see if they had any input on a guy one way or another. Again maybe I'm crazy...but for instance if the Yanks dump Joe Torre...I'd think Derek Jeter would/should get a courtesy call just to get his read on things. Barry Larkin is another example of this type of player. But the above posters tell me I'm dead wrong and this has never happened so I'll take them at their word.

I think 5 years ago the Reds would certainly have asked Griffey before they made a move like this, but I think Wayne is running the show now and he will make moves without discussing it with anybody except maybe the owner.

I think 5 years ago the Reds would certainly have asked Griffey before they made a move like this, but I think Wayne is running the show now and he will make moves without discussing it with anybody except maybe the owner.
    bullseye, AR. WK talks to no one.

Turn Off Ads?