Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Response From John Fay

Response From John Fay

I emailed the following question to Enquirer's John Fay:

The only question I have with the Baker's hiring is his handling of pitchers. If he learned from what happen to Prior and Wood in Chicago, I have no problem with this hiring.

This is the response I got from Fay:

Just talked to brantley who pitched for him, he loves the guy. Says Wood and Prior weren't his fault.

[/B]
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Response From John Fay

The horror. You mean that one man wasn't responsible for the arm troubles of two young flamethrowing pitchers? Wow. Maybe I'll stay a Reds fan after all.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

that's a positive step in bringing me aboard.

Baker's reputation as a butcher of the staff goes beyond injuries to Woods and Prior. I think everyone hangs onto that because of Bailey and Cueto. I think Baker's ability to manage a staff is a legit concern. Based upon reputation, Baker could be like watching Narron on steroids.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Thanks for the input - I wondered what Brantley's take on it was.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Baker's reputation as a butcher of the staff goes beyond injuries to Woods and Prior. I think everyone hangs onto that because of Bailey and Cueto. I think Baker's ability to manage a staff is a legit concern. Based upon reputation, Baker could be like watching Narron on steroids.
    Funny you made that connection. Discussing it with some of the guys from that other place we used to talk, I made the comparison that Baker is basically Jerry Narron, but who abuses pitchers MORE than Narron.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Funny you made that connection. Discussing it with some of the guys from that other place we used to talk, I made the comparison that Baker is basically Jerry Narron, but who abuses pitchers MORE than Narron.
    Is THAT possible?

I don't blame Kerry Wood's injuries on Baker. Wood was broken when Dusty showed up. He returned to form and pitched well. IIRC, he pitched in pain and kept it quiet as most pitchers do. I can't see Dusty knowingly running a guy out there who may have a career threatening injury. Possible I guess but not probable.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Is THAT possible?

I don't blame Kerry Wood's injuries on Baker. Wood was broken when Dusty showed up. He returned to form and pitched well. IIRC, he pitched in pain and kept it quiet as most pitchers do. I can't see Dusty knowingly running a guy out there who may have a career threatening injury. Possible I guess but not probable.
    I dont really blame Wood on him exactly, but he surely didn't help things. Even if he didn't know he was pitching while hurt, he was letting him throw 10-15 too many pitches almost every game.

What he did with Prior at the end of 2003 should have gotten him fired.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I dont really blame Wood on him exactly, but he surely didn't help things. Even if he didn't know he was pitching while hurt, he was letting him throw 10-15 too many pitches almost every game.

What he did with Prior at the end of 2003 should have gotten him fired.
    I can go along with that. We'll never really know what the whole story is with Wood but Prior speaks for itself. He may never recover. He was only hitting like 85-86 last year wasn't he? What a shame. I loved watching him pitch.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I can go along with that. We'll never really know what the whole story is with Wood but Prior speaks for itself. He may never recover. He was only hitting like 85-86 last year wasn't he? What a shame. I loved watching him pitch.
    He was in the mid to high 80's.... its a shame to see it. He could have been GREAT.

If I remember correctly, Prior was a "roid" suspect. His post-04 collapse after the crackdown began is suspicious. Though what Baker did to him effected his health in 2004 as he needed long rest if I remember correctly and was bothered by "arm soreness".

Wood just had nasty mechanics, his blowup was no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    If I remember correctly, Prior was a "roid" suspect. His post-04 collapse after the crackdown began is suspicious. Though what Baker did to him effected his health in 2004 as he needed long rest if I remember correctly and was bothered by "arm soreness".

Wood just had nasty mechanics, his blowup was no surprise.
    I was never really a fan of Priors mechanics either, although they weren't as bad as Woods. but guys with poor mechanics shouldn't be out there throwing 120+ pitches a game multiple games in a row....

I was never really a fan of Priors mechanics either, although they weren't as bad as Woods. but guys with poor mechanics shouldn't be out there throwing 120+ pitches a game multiple games in a row....
    The problem with Mark's mechanics is they were all arm driven. It is a problem I have with Verlander's mechanics as well. Though that doesn't mean they can't have a long career, it just increases odds of career threatening arm injuries at some point.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Regardless of whether or not he was actually directly responsible for Prior's, Woods or anyone else's injuries. He is quite irresponsible when it comes to how he handles guys and their counts at least by today's standards. Of course maybe he's right and the standards are not, but it sure looks suspicious either way.

---------------------------------------
    Edited: Moved
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-15-2007 at 12:54 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

It what way is Dusty Baker similar to Jerry Narron? They have drastically different styles when it comes to clubhouse management and player relations. They may have some similarities in the way that they manage a game, but that's because they're both major league managers and those similarities would be shared with almost any of their peers.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?