Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Reds picking Baker?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 26.88%
  • No

63 39.38%
  • Wait and see

54 33.75%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with the Reds new choice for manager?

Are you happy with the Reds new choice for manager?

I'm going to have to wait and see

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are you happy with the Reds new choice for manager?

Yeah, me too. This was my approach regardless of who it ended up being. We as Reds fans have haven't had a whole lot to look forward to the last decade, so why not wait and see?

Hey everybody, new to the board. Initially, not happy with the decision. From my limited knowledge, I only remember Dusty taking good teams to the playoffs and losing, burning up arms and making insensitive comments about white players. Seems to me that the organization could have waited a little longer and been more thorough in the hiring process. Didn't hear many other big names discussed throughout the process. I would have liked to have seen somebody else, Dusty was doing fine being an analyst.

Dusty is a reverse racist.

Horrible manager.

Not even likable.

I would have preferred Mackanin 10000x over Dusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I think that Dusty would have been my fourth of fifth choice. I would rather of had LaRussa. I would have rather had Mackanian, but most of all I would rather have waited to see what would be out there.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'm not thrilled with this choice, have never been a big Dusty Baker fan. I would have preferred that Pete was given a shot a full season with the club. Of course, until we get some pitching help I don't really think it's going to matter much who manages the team.

I'll go with wait and see. My initial response was negative, but the guy is a winner. Lots of people were asking for a big name, and, well, now we got it. Let's see what follows. A guy like Dusty Baker most likely isn't going to sit by and accept that the market took the Reds out of the free agent race (the excuse we got last year). So, for that reason it might work out for the better. We'll see though.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Dusty's a great dude, man.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I'll go with wait and see. My initial response was negative, but the guy is a winner. Lots of people were asking for a big name, and, well, now we got it. Let's see what follows. A guy like Dusty Baker most likely isn't going to sit by and accept that the market took the Reds out of the free agent race (the excuse we got last year). So, for that reason it might work out for the better. We'll see though.
    I guess the thought that he might bring credibility in the sense that some player would now come to Cincy who wouldn't have before is about the only positive I see at this point. But would it be a player who can help out?

Along the same lines did he get a committment from Castellini that salary budget woudl be increased.

I think this is better than Keepking Mack....Baker might not be the best ever but he is a proven winner

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    I think this is better than Keepking Mack....Baker might not be the best ever but he is a proven winner
    roflmao

Dusty has made some past mistakes as manager, but I will take the wait-and-see approach and see if he improves the team.

What can you do really, but go with the wait-and-see route? Just go out and say Baker's here and now I hate the Reds?

Gimme a break...I think there are a lot of people here that are being just a touch melodramatic.

They could hire Satan, any member of the Bush family, or Al Sharpton as a manager and I'd still love the Reds. Hiring Dusty Baker doesn't prompt me to find the highest ledge to jump off of.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I wasn't that crazy about any of the candidates, so I'll just have to wait and see.
    Who's on first?

I think Dusty gets pretty bad rap from his days in Chicago. Wood seemed destined to destroy his shoulder with or without Baker at the helms. I've seen a few people talk about him getting to the playoffs and not being able to win. Not everyone can be Joe Torre and win nearly every time out there. I'm rather apathetic towards the Reds right now and their decision for manager. I personally don't think its going to matter, I can't see us being a whole lot better next year if we don't get some pitching. My biggest question was why did we hire a manager so soon? The season is not over yet and who knows who is going to become available. I don't see Larussa or Torre coming here but who knows. If they would have waited another month and hired Baker I think I would have been more ok with it.

Turn Off Ads?