Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Steinbrenner giving up control of Yankees

Senor Votto

Steinbrenner giving up control of Yankees

Report: Steinbrenner giving up control of Yankees

October 14, 2007
    NEW YORK (Ticker) - The George Steinbrenner era is apparently all but over.

According to a report in the New York Post, the "Boss" has handed over control of the New York Yankees to his sons Hank and Hal Steinbrenner as he faces up to declining health.

George Steinbrenner, 77, was seldom seen at Yankee Stadium this season, attending only three games as his health kept him away.

The Post reported that the final details of the new arrangement are yet to be determined - something that will happen in meetings scheduled for Tampa, Florida next week - but Hank and Hal Steinbrenner are to take over the day-to-day running of the team.

"George has taken on a role like the chairman of a major corporation," team president Randy Levine told the Post. "He's been saying for years he's wanted to get his sons involved in the family business. Both of them have stepped up and are taking on the day-to-day duties of what's required to run the Yankees."

"There's always been a succession - and that's myself and my brother," Hank Steinbrenner added.

George Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in 1973 for $8.7 million. His hands-on approach to running the team, while often controversial, was undoubtedly successful, and he has brought 10 division pennants and six World Series titles to the Bronx while building the franchise into an empire valued at $1.2 billion.

The brothers will take on control not only of the Yankees but also the YES Network and the construction of the new Yankee Stadium.

"I'll pay more attention to the baseball part," Hank Steinbrenner said. "The stadium, that's more Hal. But basically everything will be decided jointly."

Hal Steinbrenner was named chairman of the board of Yankee Global Enterprises last month, and a new title is expected for Hank Steinbrenner soon.

However, the top item on the agenda for the new-look Yankees leadership is the future of manager Joe Torre. That will be discussed this week.

"We'll be bringing everyone together ... to discuss those things. For the first couple of meetings, it will just be me, Hal, my dad and the usual cast," Hank Steinbrenner said.

George hasn't completely relinquished control - at least, not yet.

"What's nice is the Boss is there," Levine said. "He's an office door away."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Steinbrenner giving up control of Yankees

I guess that the boss is still going to be paying the bills though. I wish he would have waited till 2009, when they have a new stadium, but I guess his health has got to be more important than running the team. I think that with the new manager, stadium, and new people in control we are seeing a new era of Yankees baseball.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

His family still has control. He isn't exactly selling the Yankees.

Kinda like Paul Brown relinquishing control to Mike Brown. More of the same.

Turn Off Ads?