Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    My Sundays may become more productive...I refuse to let this team ruin my winter.
    Same here. I didn't watch yesterday, and had a great day.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cedric, that was some wild, stream-of-consciousness stuff... a really good read and I think your take is spot-on, unfortunately.

Cedric, as much as we disagree about UC, we certainly agree on the Bengals.

I will say one thing about the Chris Perry pick though, even though it has been picked apart by every Bengals fan alive. In 2005, Perry led the entire NFL in receptions by a running back., which isn't bad when you consider that he only played second fiddle to Rudi. He provided a nice change of pace back and to the passing attack on third down. I think the pick could have been used a lot better, most notably on Chris Gamble, who I thought at the time was very raw and would have taken a lot longer to develop.

I have a feeling that if things continue the way they are going this season, Marvin will finally take action and will bench Chad for the remainder of the season, especially if he has another blowup. If he does, the fallout could be very taxing for the team and the future of the Bengals.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Same here. I didn't watch yesterday, and had a great day.
    I DVR'ed it and forwarded through most of it after-the-fact. I've become numb to the whole situation, and the loss didn't distract me one bit. I doubt I even record or otherwise pay attention to this Sunday's Jets game.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Cedric, that was some wild, stream-of-consciousness stuff... a really good read and I think your take is spot-on, unfortunately.
    I'm not the best with grammar. I just write what I think and hope it makes sense.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Cedric, really interesting stuff. Would love to hear more if you've got it, although that was pretty comprehensive.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Overall good post Cedric, but I do have to disagree with you on a couple points....

#1 - I don't care who you are, or how "passionate" one may be - there are alot of passionate players in sports - no player should be allowed to get away with publically dressing down and humiliating your QB, head coach, or any player. There's a time and place for it, and it's not on that playing field.

And lets look at those situations this year where Johnson has gone off. Is it always someone else's fault? Can't some of it be laid at the feet of Johnson? I've listened to both Brad Johansen and Dave Lapham state that Chad is guilty of not finishing routes, that even as a receiver he has to learn to switch roles and play defender, and that he gets frustrated and gives up on plays. The ball didn't get to him, maybe it results in an INT. It's always someone else's fault? From Johnson's actions it appears that way.

He can't let that passion take him out of his game and effect others in a negative way.

As for Marvin, I agree with what Johansen said yesterday on WLW..... Marvin is guilty of always trying to put a positive spin on what is going on this year. For instance in the Sunday loss to K.C., Marvin states they outscored them in the second half. Big deal! He also stated you can't keep using injuries as an excuse. Every team has injuries.

Hasn't it been leveled at Marvin that he is not a very good disciplinarian or exercising the type of control any team needs in that clubhouse? Very indecisive. I'm not going to speculate because I'm not in that clubhouse. But that "lack" may be why guys like Johnson are getting away with some of their antics.

I think Johnson is a very talented receiver. But what some deem as passion, I see as emotionalism that is getting the best of him and is affecting this team. Does he think he is the only one on that team that has the "passion" to want to win and hates losing. I don't believe that, regardless of the hard times they are going through right now.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

In thinking back to 2005, I've been wondering why we've taken a step back. This is my analysis of the situation:

1) The offense has stumbled without Chris Perry and Henry. I know there have been difficulties along the OLine and with Rudi but I really feel like Perry and Henry are the missing link. Hopefully, they can turn things around for the Bengals with Perry back (hopefully) and Henry back in two weeks.

2) The defense hid behind turnovers. 2005 didn't feature a great defense but a unit that gave up yards while forcing an obscene amount of turnovers. We were also much deeper at LB that year.

3) The lack of progress for Palmer. This may be controversial but it seems to me that Palmer has failed to take that next step to the top tier of NFL QBs who refuse to lose regardless of the circumstances. Maybe its coaching, injuries, or luck but Brady and Peyton have won though it all while Palmer has "struggled" with adversity. Granted he is still a top 5 QB this year but I can't see where he has improved much from the 2005 campaign.

4) The spate of injuries has depleted the depth and really taken a toll on special teams. The Bengals continued to carry Tab Perry and Kilmer on the active roster hoping they would get healthy before ending there seasons today.

I don't know but it seems like the Bengals were basically the same .500 team in 2005 just with better look than they're having now (injuries, turnovers). Maybe its coaching, drafts, the Browns, or whatever else you want to complain about but it seems like a "lucky" season in 2005 set the bar high for subsequent years and the Bengals remain the same .500 team.

I hate to say it but it may take a dismantling of the offense to rebuild the defense and get the team over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    In thinking back to 2005, I've been wondering why we've taken a step back. This is my analysis of the situation:

1) The offense has stumbled without Chris Perry and Henry. I know there have been difficulties along the OLine and with Rudi but I really feel like Perry and Henry are the missing link. Hopefully, they can turn things around for the Bengals with Perry back (hopefully) and Henry back in two weeks.

2) The defense hid behind turnovers. 2005 didn't feature a great defense but a unit that gave up yards while forcing an obscene amount of turnovers. We were also much deeper at LB that year.

3) The lack of progress for Palmer. This may be controversial but it seems to me that Palmer has failed to take that next step to the top tier of NFL QBs who refuse to lose regardless of the circumstances. Maybe its coaching, injuries, or luck but Brady and Peyton have won though it all while Palmer has "struggled" with adversity. Granted he is still a top 5 QB this year but I can't see where he has improved much from the 2005 campaign.

4) The spate of injuries has depleted the depth and really taken a toll on special teams. The Bengals continued to carry Tab Perry and Kilmer on the active roster hoping they would get healthy before ending there seasons today.

I don't know but it seems like the Bengals were basically the same .500 team in 2005 just with better look than they're having now (injuries, turnovers). Maybe its coaching, drafts, the Browns, or whatever else you want to complain about but it seems like a "lucky" season in 2005 set the bar high for subsequent years and the Bengals remain the same .500 team.

I hate to say it but it may take a dismantling of the offense to rebuild the defense and get the team over the hump.
    IMO, your #1 and #3 are directly related to the offensive line falling apart. Again, IMO, it all leads back to not resigning Eric Steinbach. Last year he was a trooper, filling in at C, and T. This year, the offensve line is lost without him. But we've got Justin Smith, and his "good motor".

Gee, what an unpredictable pattern--losing year, coach is an idiot.

Ced, with all due respect, if I had a shekel for every "I know a recent former..." Name dropping, even without a name, is always in poor taste as support to lend credibility for one's own personal opinions.

It has been painful to watch them this year (brings back horrible memories), but I'm still a fan and will always be a fan, just like with the Reds. I've been with them for too long to give up now.

Well I'm not really worried about taste. I'm worried about putting out info and allowing the reader to choose to believe it or not.

By the way, the coach isn't just the coach on this one. He makes EVERY decision for this team on the football field. Not comparable to people randomly blaming managers for all losses.

It's his players and it's his coaching. If the team isn't progressing who do you blame? Do you blame the players for their lack of talent and depth? I don't get who else there is to blame but him. He has failed this organization, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Gee, what an unpredictable pattern--losing year, coach is an idiot.

Ced, with all due respect, if I had a shekel for every "I know a recent former..." Name dropping, even without a name, is always in poor taste as support to lend credibility for one's own personal opinions.
    And personally I think it's in worst taste to totally disregard my post because of the "losing year, coach is an idiot." line.

But I dunno, maybe you got some points to refute what I'm saying instead of just assuming I'm being irrational and a follower.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Well I'm not really worried about taste. I'm worried about putting out info and allowing the reader to choose to believe it or not.

By the way, the coach isn't just the coach on this one. He makes EVERY decision for this team on the football field. Not comparable to people randomly blaming managers for all losses.

It's his players and it's his coaching. If the team isn't progressing who do you blame? Do you blame the players for their lack of talent and depth? I don't get who else there is to blame but him. He has failed this organization, IMO.
    Agreed. Keeping Keiwan Ratliff for as long as he did really makes me question his talent evaluation skills. And that's not even mentioning his judge of character. While I don't forget the pitts that was the 90's, the current regime doesn't look all that much better right now. And theres so much more talent.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    And personally I think it's in worst taste to totally disregard my post because of the "losing year, coach is an idiot." line.

But I dunno, maybe you got some points to refute what I'm saying instead of just assuming I'm being irrational and a follower.
    No, I disregarded your post when you prefaced it with "I know a recent former player." Plus, you also stated you were angry at the Bengals and Reds in the same post. So why sift through a lengthy post written by someone name-dropping and admittedly angry, which often leads to a skewed perspective in the here and now?

Turn Off Ads?