Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

  1. #46
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Read the entirety of the post. Skewed perspective? Hardly. You picked one part of the post and passed judgment on the rest. Is your beef really that he "name dropped" or it is that he called out a coach and an organization that has made many questionable moves? Your first line was how predictable it is that someone would call out a coach when the coach is losing. You then called him out for name dropping. Then you mention that you didn't bother reading the entire post, but of course, you felt compelled to slam it anyway. So what is it that really bothers you?

    Is it that you don't like members of this board using their mind to form an opinion about how someone is doing their job?

    I got more out of his one post, than I do out of hundreds I've sifted through on this site, but that doesn't mean I've felt the urge to call out the hundreds that I thought were uninformed or without substance.

    I'm sure you know, but this is a "sports" message board where it is perfectly reasonable and acceptable for a fan or observer of sports to critique the moves (right or wrong) made by a sports organization, especially when it is done in such detail as in this post by Cedric. What this board isn't, is a "critiquing other's posts" message board. It would be nice if you could just contribute to the discussion, whether you agree or disagree with the topic at hand, without critiquing the way the message was conveyed.

    Talk about a predictable pattern.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member forfreelin04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Zanesville, OH
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    No, I disregarded your post when you prefaced it with "I know a recent former player." Plus, you also stated you were angry at the Bengals and Reds in the same post. So why sift through a lengthy post written by someone name-dropping and admittedly angry, which often leads to a skewed perspective in the here and now?
    TradeRumor. I disagree. When I read Cedric's post earlier this week, I totally forgot about the name dropping the minute I read it. The rest of his history gathering insightful post was backed up with Marvin's faulty drafts. This bulk of his post had little to nothing to do with his former player reference. If you past it up, than you missed a great read. I even forwarded it to my father who has questioned Marvin's tactics well before this year's breakdown. What does ripping another poster down for his opinions accomplish for you? Why not refute his comment with evidence? We would expect the same when talking about the Reds.

  4. #48
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,574

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    TradeRumor. I disagree. When I read Cedric's post earlier this week, I totally forgot about the name dropping the minute I read it. The rest of his history gathering insightful post was backed up with Marvin's faulty drafts. This bulk of his post had little to nothing to do with his former player reference. If you past it up, than you missed a great read. I even forwarded it to my father who has questioned Marvin's tactics well before this year's breakdown. What does ripping another poster down for his opinions accomplish for you? Why not refute his comment with evidence? We would expect the same when talking about the Reds.
    I guessed I missed a great read, then. No one is trying to squash anyone from stating an opinion, but to try to give that opinion weight by saying "I know people" is personally objectionable. In other words, my right to state an opinion.

  5. #49
    Member forfreelin04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Zanesville, OH
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    In response to Cedric's noteworthy post and others of similar value, I offer these reasons for the Bengals demise. Albeit, we could be singing a different tune by Week 12. The Bengals schedule is soft and a nice win at home versus the struggling Jets can be just what the doctor ordered. This team seems to respond best to momentum in either direction. Just like in a single football game, momentum rules. One big play or one big call (penalty or in favor of) can change the tide and outcome of the game. The Bengals seems to respond best or worse to the same mentality. This inability to have short term memories has contributed to the Bengals weary season. The only difference this year is the fact the momentum has been on the losing side at the beginning of the year. Say what you want, about the win on Monday Night. They easily could have lost that game. That being said, the Bengals will come up with a win on Sunday and run a stretch of 3 to 4 wins. Leaving them at 4-4 or 5-4. However, by the end of the year they will fall short at 8-8 again. Leaving people wondering what might have been during the games at Cleveland and Seattle. I don't categorize the KC game as being so because I never felt the Bengals had a legitamate chance at winning.

    That being said, why can't the Bengals get it together? I think these three factors contribute to the downslide or perhaps inevitable downslide of the Bengals.

    First
    -Marvin Lewis is a bad evaluator of talent. Cedric hit this spot on and so did another poster. Eric Steinbach was due for big money he most assuredly should have received. Willie Anderson is and was on his last leg. Willie has been a staple of this franchise long before Palmer, but he is well on his way to fading fast. Steinbach, no doubt, was on the rise. But, instead of signing him to a long term deal they decided to pump the money into the likes of Geathers and Smith. As you can no doubt see in Cleveland, Steinbach is paying off. On the Bengals side, we have yet another faulty defense that cannot get a pass rush, and even if it does it is more than likely a coverage sack. Smith is a big game player. Look no farther than his performance last year at KC and at Denver. However, he is inconsistent and the money could have been spent on Steinbach. If the plan was to build a defense through the draft, the bulk of the money should have been spent to shore up the offense. Marvin declined to reason as such and spent on defense. This reasoning was much aligned with the signings of Kendrick Allen and Ed Hartwell, but then Marvin decides to cut ties with them right before the season starts? Unless, they were a problem in the locker room, I do think a couple veterans, at least for insurance purposes, could have made an impact. But, no Marvin goes with green NFL players instead. Which of course brings us to my second point.

    2. Injuries.

    People are pointing the finger at Chris Henry absence as a plausible reason for why the Bengals have struggled on offense. I do think it plays a role in allowing the Cover 2 to cause more problems, but I have seen Carson cut through it time and time again this year; enough to know he can handle the load without Henry. Look no farther, than the 4 or 5 play TD at KC to Housh in the first quarter for an example of that.

    The problem to me is the injuries and suspensions on defense, specifically at linebacker. I feel we are receiving the brunt of the loss of David Pollack and Odell Thurman. Thurman was a high motor guy... albeit made some poor decisions in his rookie year, but someone who could fly around the football field and make high impact plays. Marvin acted like Thurman was an afterthought, but in all honesty I feel he was counting on him at least as a reliable backup the rest of the year. Our linebacker core, being so depleted would provide evidence for that notion. Which brings me to David Pollack, who will probably never return to football and even if he does, will probably never surface as the impact player he was supposed to be. Pollack would have provided an option for pass rush, and also had the speed to cover, and was a great wrap tackler. Between Thurman and Pollack, that is where Marvin thought he would make his impact on defense. It has not worked out that way, and what is left is scant at best even with the injuries. Now, I lay most of the blame for the defense on Chuck B because he continually is embarassed literally and figuratively at least three to four times a year by someone. He has a knack for making even the least capable Qb's look good.

    3rd and final point- Trade Chad Johnson

    Bare with me now, I'm not saying do that now. But, I felt he would have been valuable trade commodity this off season or the middle of last season. The only reason I would have not done so was because of Henry's career jeopardy. I truly feel we could lose some WR's and pick up where we left off. Carson is a Qb in the Manning, Brady mold, just without the rings. He has a rocket arm, capable of carrying the team on his back, and his accuracy can be scary good at times. In other words, I think Chad Johnson needs Carson more than Carson needs Chad. I say trade Chad instead of T.J. for two reasons. T.J. is more reliable and his usually very consistent throughout the year. Also, Chad can be the face of virtually any franchise he is traded too. I look at teams like SF, the Jets, Arizona, and Minnesota has franchises lacking a face to go with the team. Chad brings more than just numbers he brings in revenue. He could be traded for some ding ding ding DEFENSE!! Or at least a couple first rounders and an intregal defensive player. By doing this, Marvin frees up money to be spent other places. I look at Johnson as being the Edgerin James in Indy. Something that might put us over the top.

  6. #50
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    The only bad thing about trading such talented players in the NFL is that you almost never receive comparable value in return. What would Chad Johnson bring in return? A 3rd round pick? Hopefully a 2nd? I don't think he would bring a first round draft pick, let alone two of them. It would free up cash to spend in other places, but trying to build this defense through free agency isn't the way to achieve success, IMO.

    Plus, then all of a sudden, our WR corps has gone from a position of strength to a position of being average at best, below-average at worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #51
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guessed I missed a great read, then. No one is trying to squash anyone from stating an opinion, but to try to give that opinion weight by saying "I know people" is personally objectionable. In other words, my right to state an opinion.
    That was a VERY small part of my points. And I'm angry at the Reds and Bengals for runing such inept franchises. That doesn't mean I'm gonna make up stuff. I pointed out reasons this franchise is failing and most of it had nothing to do with "name dropping." If it's that big of a deal I'll say the name and possibly get him pissed off if somehow he reads/hears this. Sometimes you just gotta trust someone. Guess I don't have your trust.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  8. #52
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    That was a VERY small part of my points. And I'm angry at the Reds and Bengals for runing such inept franchises. That doesn't mean I'm gonna make up stuff. I pointed out reasons this franchise is failing and most of it had nothing to do with "name dropping." If it's that big of a deal I'll say the name and possibly get him pissed off if somehow he reads/hears this. Sometimes you just gotta trust someone. Guess I don't have your trust.
    I trust you, Cedric.

    I just don't trust your judgment when it comes to college football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #53
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,574

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    That was a VERY small part of my points. And I'm angry at the Reds and Bengals for runing such inept franchises. That doesn't mean I'm gonna make up stuff. I pointed out reasons this franchise is failing and most of it had nothing to do with "name dropping." If it's that big of a deal I'll say the name and possibly get him pissed off if somehow he reads/hears this. Sometimes you just gotta trust someone. Guess I don't have your trust.
    Personal pet peeve. Just shoulda kept my mouth shut and moved on, sorry that you are offended.

    As for my position on the Bengals, I have been on record that this year smelled bad from the outset since we made no improvement on D, and injuries have made them horrible. I have also stated that this a soul-searching year for Marvin, to step back and see what, within his control, went wrong with the D and how to fix it. So far, he has seemed reluctant to admit failure and thus does not make wholesale changes. However, I do not have an overall negative opinion of Marvin because he has shown overall competence.

  10. #54
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I trust you, Cedric.

    I just don't trust your judgment when it comes to college football.
    Well you root for Kentucky. I don't trust you or like you.

    jk
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  11. #55
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Personal pet peeve. Just shoulda kept my mouth shut and moved on, sorry that you are offended.

    As for my position on the Bengals, I have been on record that this year smelled bad from the outset since we made no improvement on D, and injuries have made them horrible. I have also stated that this a soul-searching year for Marvin, to step back and see what, within his control, went wrong with the D and how to fix it. So far, he has seemed reluctant to admit failure and thus does not make wholesale changes. However, I do not have an overall negative opinion of Marvin because he has shown overall competence.
    Not offended. I do understand your stance. Just surprised that would make you not read my post and give it a shot. No biggie.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  12. #56
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Well you root for Kentucky. I don't trust you or like you.

    jk


    That's understandable!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  13. #57
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,574

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Well you root for Kentucky. I don't trust you or like you.

    jk
    I acquired a new fondness for UK after their upset propelled the Buckeyes into the top spot. I also woke up this morning to see the BCS lovechild, USF, bit the dust early. What a crazy year. I say the Buckeyes will lose one or both of Penn State and Michigan road games, which will eliminate them and bring the one loss LSU, Oklahoma, USC, etc (you know, the class above all the rest ).

    Oops, this is a Bengals thread, they do still have a season to play.

  14. #58
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: LOL! Cincinnati Bengals!

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I acquired a new fondness for UK after their upset propelled the Buckeyes into the top spot. I also woke up this morning to see the BCS lovechild, USF, bit the dust early. What a crazy year. I say the Buckeyes will lose one or both of Penn State and Michigan road games, which will eliminate them and bring the one loss LSU, Oklahoma, USC, etc (you know, the class above all the rest ).

    Oops, this is a Bengals thread, they do still have a season to play.
    No way Traderumor. This Buckeye team will not get beat by Anthony Morelli. Put that on record.

    Michigan? Again, don't see an innaccurate Qb like Chad Henne beating Ohio State. But Mike Hart is one tough SOB.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25