Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BCS Will Be A Mess This Year

Re: The BCS Will Be A Mess This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It's impossible to measure. It's probably a wash like I said. The legit championship programs aren't getting by with slow players anymore. Doesn't happen.

The 02 Ohio State defense had 11 NFL players and people still refused to admit that Ohio State could possibly be as fast as other schools.

NFL teams don't draft slow players. And Ohio State produces NFL talent better than both LSU and Florida.
    Does OSU really produce more and better NFL players than LSU and Florida? I don't know the statistics, I'm honestly curious and would love to know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's just crazy. You couldn't compete in the WAC with that speed.
    The probation and scholarship reductions from the Mumme-era contributed as much as anything... top kids don't want to go to a program hamstrung by the NCAA. Understandably.

Ohio State is a much better team than last year, IMO. I've seen them live three times already and they have only one small weakness. They don't get a major push up the middle with Cordle/Person.
    Tressel can now rely on true depth at the SE and FL position. He also will never trust anyone like he did Troy again. Nobody thought he would come in 25 lbs overweight and 12 step drop us out of rhythm and the game basically.

Their defense is light years ahead of last years team. Brandon Mitchell and Jamario O'neal forced Heacock into a very conservative strategy last year, that worked in a somewhat weak Big Ten. This year they have two of the best safeties in CFB and with Chekwa playing so well they basically have 5 DB's on the field on most downs.
    I'm just gonna enjoy the ragging Ohio State gets for the next few months about their competition. People are going to assume this Ohio State team is just like last years over hyped team. They are clearly better on defense and also Tressel is gonna treat the big games like he used to. His playcalling will be much more efficient and he has better depth to work with. This is also the fastest team Ohio State has ever had and every year it's getting faster. There isn't a team in America that has more overall speed than OSU and just like 02 Tressel is gonna prove it. It's gonna be a fun ride.

They also have a HUGE chip on their shoulder. I really don't think people understand the talent level at Ohio State. It gets better every year. With this years recruiting class it's going to get scary.
    I agree. If they execute well and go 12-0, the country is in for a big surprise in the title game. Not saying they'll win, but they won't get blown out either. If they end up playing LSU or Oklahoma, it'll be a great game like the Miami title game. If they end up playing USF, BC, or someone of that nature, they could find themselves on the smiling side of a 41-14 score.

Getting there is the question. They can lose any of their 5 games if they don't execute well. Wisconsin, Illinois, and MSU are clearly below them, but are capable of knocking them off. At Penn State and at Michigan are going to be intense, very close games. They won't necessarily have to play poorly to lose. It's not a slam dunk by any stretch of the imagination.

I think this team is better as a whole then last year, but they are not as explosive on offense. The margin for error is smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Does OSU really produce more and better NFL players than LSU and Florida? I don't know the statistics, I'm honestly curious and would love to know.
    More than any school in the country at the moment.

How on earth do you come up with OSU beating USF 41-14?!? OSU's offense is not that great, and USF's defense is excellent. That would be more like a 17-14 toss-up.

BC's fun little run will be over soon.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    More than any school in the country at the moment.
    I'm talking like over the past 10 years or so...

I'm talking like over the past 10 years or so...
    I think I was wrong. Miami probably has the most.

But Ohio State is almost assuredly in the top 3-5. My guess is second.

What about USC? Oklahoma has got to be up there as well.

Florida used to have more busts than any school by a wide margin. WR was a joke position with Florida pro players.

Scout.com listed Ohio State as the best pro pipeline for WR's and CB's in the NFL. Pretty fast positions eh?

WR- Cris Carter- Joey Galloway- Terry Glenn- Michael Jenkins- Santonio Holmes- Ted Ginn Jr- Drew Carter- David Boston (pre insanity)

Cb- Nate Clements- Antoine Winfield- Shawn Springs- Chris Gamble- Ashton Youbouty- Ahmed Plummer (injury ended career)

On the team right now Malcom Jenkins is a Junior and considered a top 15 pick. Brian Hartline and Brian Robiskie will most certainly have some role in the NFL. Hartline is an athletic freak. Ray Small is also a likely pro player. Also just like schools like USC and Michigan they have the best talent. Now with Tressel and his great coaching staff they are loading up.

The list at other positions is pretty awesome also. Nick Mangold is a 2nd year Center and a star. Will Smith is a pro bowl DE. Orlando Pace is a HOF player. Mike Doss and Donnie Nickey are five year pros. LeCharles Bentley was a pro bowl center before two bad knee injuries. Aj Hawk is a stud on one of the best defenses in the NFL. Bobby Carpenter was a first round pick last year at LB. Will Allen is a starting safety with Tampa. Anthony Schlegal plays alot with the Bengals sadly Rob Sims starts for the Seahawks at guard and is considered a future star. 2nd year player.

Qb is the one historical position that Ohio State just never had really compete well in the NFL. Rb recently hasn't been great because of Maurice being counted on so heavily.

I'm sure people are utterly sick of my OSU stuff. I'll stop now lol.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How on earth do you come up with OSU beating USF 41-14?!? OSU's offense is not that great, and USF's defense is excellent. That would be more like a 17-14 toss-up.

BC's fun little run will be over soon.

I said "could". By no means would that be a prediction.

Ohio State is in an elite class of athletes along with Florida, USC, and LSU. Everyone else is a step or more behind. They have better players across the board (except maybe QB) than USF. OSU would be 8-10 point favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I agree. If they execute well and go 12-0, the country is in for a big surprise in the title game. Not saying they'll win, but they won't get blown out either. If they end up playing LSU or Oklahoma, it'll be a great game like the Miami title game. If they end up playing USF, BC, or someone of that nature, they could find themselves on the smiling side of a 41-14 score.

Getting there is the question. They can lose any of their 5 games if they don't execute well. Wisconsin, Illinois, and MSU are clearly below them, but are capable of knocking them off. At Penn State and at Michigan are going to be intense, very close games. They won't necessarily have to play poorly to lose. It's not a slam dunk by any stretch of the imagination.

I think this team is better as a whole then last year, but they are not as explosive on offense. The margin for error is smaller.
    I'm a homer, but I'm also a realist. I predicted 3 losses for OSU last year. Ohio State just got lucky that Morelli regressed and Michigan can't stop any spread offenses. Ohio State was over hyped and overrated last year. That wasn't really anyone's fault though. They played at Texas and murdered them and they beat an undefeated Michigan team. Nobody knew how overrated those teams were. That happens sometimes.

What about USC? Oklahoma has got to be up there as well.
    Going off a current rough count on ESPN.com:

Miami 49
    Ohio State 45
    Michigan 39
    LSU 35
    Florida 32
    USC 28
    Oklahoma 25

Obviously a few others would have to be in the high 20s-30s as well, but the gist is there.
    Last edited by guttle11; 10-15-2007 at 01:22 AM.

I think Ohio State would be closer to a three point favorite. Athlete for athlete, USF would match up just fine. They're fast as all hell.

USC had a major drought. In a few years they will be right up there at the top. Oklahoma likewise. Ohio State has been pretty consistent. They got older guys like Glenn, Galloway, and Pace with the new guys also. USC and Oklahoma were pretty bad in the late 90's.

Ohio State can't have any speed, they're not in the SEC. Only SEC teams are fast. Afterall, it was the speed of Florida that beat them in the title game last year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?