Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is ESPN thinking?

What is ESPN thinking?

OK, so I hadn't watched Sunday NFL Countdown for a whule until last week (Michael Irvin ruined it for me, so I didn't watch much at all last year). I watched fo about 20 minutes and just couldn't take it any more. So I turned it on again this morning and I lasted only about 5 minutes this time. I thought they had learned their lesson with Michael Irivn, but they just magnified it by adding Keyshawn Johnson AND Emmit Smith. One of these guys would be bad enough, but BOTH.

These guys are worse than Irvin. Add them to Mike Ditka, and 3 of the 4 "analysts" can barely string together an intelligent thought on the air. Tom Jackson is the only one on the show who ever makes sense and sounds smart. I love Tom Jackson, but I hate to see him having to sit there with these 3 guys.

Keyshawn tries REALLY har to be profound. It doesn't work. Emmit is actually a fairly smart guy, but looks completely uneasy in front of the camera. He locks up when he's asked about anything and winds up just agreeing with the other guys.

It's sad what this show has become. Once upon a time it was something I looked forward to watching. Now they've stretched it to 2 hours and have staffed it with people who just aren't good on TV. I can't be the only one who thinks this. ESPN does some things that just doesn't make sense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: What is ESPN thinking?

Stopped watching it myself about 3 years ago. Jackson is terrific, too bad he is stuck there.

I was surprised to find that I actually kind of like the CBS show now. (minus Shannon Sharp that is)
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

For a Level Playing Field

Makes me long for the days of my youth when CBS had Brent Musberger and team. Not that they were that great, but I was too young to know any better. And it wasn't about having "controversial types" in an attempt to win ratings (and ruin it for the real NFL fan). Such is life in the reality-TV days. God help us NFL fans!

ps - Who was the rest of Musberger's team? I know Jimmy the Greek Snyder. Was Phyllis George one of them? And the African-American gentleman, was it Irv Cross? Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Makes me long for the days of my youth when CBS had Brent Musberger and team. Not that they were that great, but I was too young to know any better. And it wasn't about having "controversial types" in an attempt to win ratings (and ruin it for the real NFL fan). Such is life in the reality-TV days. God help us NFL fans!

ps - Who was the rest of Musberger's team? I know Jimmy the Greek Snyder. Was Phyllis George one of them? And the African-American gentleman, was it Irv Cross? Any others?
    I think you've named all of them.

"You're looking LIVE...!" (remember that?)

The National League is going down to the very wire.
    Meanwhile, the self-proclaimed leading sports network has shown bowling, a reality boxing show, and horse racing.
    That is ESPN for you.

wrong thread.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-30-2007 at 03:17 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Meanwhile, the self-proclaimed leading sports network has shown bowling, a reality boxing show, and horse racing.
    That is ESPN for you.
    They may be following it on ESPNews, but not everyone gets that channel. Personally, I would love it if the "Worldwide Leader" would go more international with its coverage, maybe stepping up with a weekend show covering the EPL and a weekly program covering some of the other European and South American soccer leagues. Of course I suspect the reason for ESPN's programming choices comes down to what kind of cheap filler they can throw in when they don't have Sportscenter or a football or baseball game to show.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They may be following it on ESPNews, but not everyone gets that channel. Personally, I would love it if the "Worldwide Leader" would go more international with its coverage, maybe stepping up with a weekend show covering the EPL and a weekly program covering some of the other European and South American soccer leagues. Of course I suspect the reason for ESPN's programming choices comes down to what kind of cheap filler they can throw in when they don't have Sportscenter or a football or baseball game to show.
    ESPN is a bit overrated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't have the rights to any NFL games except Monday night football. They only play Wednsday, and Sunday MLB games. I think they need to try and get more games, as well as the Superbowl, or the World Series.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    That is ESPN for you.

You can bet your bottom dollar if the Sox or Yankees were involved, they'd show the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

You can bet your bottom dollar if the Sox or Yankees were involved, they'd show the games.
    Exactly. They always seem to have a Sox-Yankees game lined up. I think ESPN is just going to buy the YES network. Then they could show every Yankees game.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I think you've named all of them.

"You're looking LIVE...!" (remember that?)
    I always thought Musberger was kind of a doofus but I admit, when he broke in with that "You are looking liiive..." bit, my heart would beat a little faster in anticipation of the games that were about to begin.

And back on topic, I haven't been able to watch NFL Countdown for at least 3 years. It doesn't even matter who the "experts" are; I find Berman insufferable enough by himself.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I cant even stomach sportscenter anymore. ESPN is just awful anymore, more about the brand than the sports they cover.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I always thought Musberger was kind of a doofus but I admit, when he broke in with that "You are looking liiive..." bit, my heart would beat a little faster in anticipation of the games that were about to begin.

And back on topic, I haven't been able to watch NFL Countdown for at least 3 years. It doesn't even matter who the "experts" are; I find Berman insufferable enough by himself.
    I love Brent. "You are looking live" gives me chills to this day.

For any true BM lovers, check out the drinking game dedicated to him.

Rule #1: "The Pardner" A person is picked to be the Pardner at the beginning of the game. The first time Brent says "Pardner," the Pardner has to take 1 drink, and then picks someone else to be the Pardner. The next time Brent says it, the new Pardner has to take 2 drinks, and then pick a new Pardner, and so on and so on. The Pardner must wear a special "Pardner" hat.

Rule #2: "Folks" Everyone drinks 1 when Brent says "Folks." However, if Brent says "Hold on Folks", everyone must drink once but the first person to drink has to finish their drink for not holding on.

There are a dozen or so more rules. Check them all out:

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005660.php

This is going off on a bit of a different subject but it still has to do with ESPN - ESPN radio, that is. I had to work tonight so I couldn't see the Wildcard game. But it was going to be on ESPN radio. So, during my 9:00, my 10:00 and my 11:00 breaks, I went out in the car to listen to the game. I got off about 10 till midnight and knew the Padres had something cooking since I was following it on my cell phone. I get out to the car and start it up and the game wasn't on. I thought I had inadvertantly changed the channel but, no, it was the right channel. They had Game Night on. I thought maybe the Rockies were switching pitchers but that wasn't the case. I even tried ESPN 1000 out of Chicago and it wasn't on there either. Why in the blue hell do you say you are going to carry a game and then you only carry part of it? If it were the 7th game of the World Series, I wonder what they would do.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    This is going off on a bit of a different subject but it still has to do with ESPN - ESPN radio, that is. I had to work tonight so I couldn't see the Wildcard game. But it was going to be on ESPN radio. So, during my 9:00, my 10:00 and my 11:00 breaks, I went out in the car to listen to the game. I got off about 10 till midnight and knew the Padres had something cooking since I was following it on my cell phone. I get out to the car and start it up and the game wasn't on. I thought I had inadvertantly changed the channel but, no, it was the right channel. They had Game Night on. I thought maybe the Rockies were switching pitchers but that wasn't the case. I even tried ESPN 1000 out of Chicago and it wasn't on there either. Why in the blue hell do you say you are going to carry a game and then you only carry part of it? If it were the 7th game of the World Series, I wonder what they would do.
    That's just bizarre. I've never heard of that happening.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?