Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the Patriots go 16-0?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will the Patriots go 16-0?

I can't believe I'm even askin the question. I've always been of the belief that it's virtually impossible to run the table in the NFL. In all my years of following pro football, only two other times did I think a team was capable going undefeated;the 1985 Bears, and the 1994 49ers. the 49ers lost the second game of the year to put that to rest, and the Bears lost in a fluky Monday night game (tha '85 Bears team is still the best team I've ever seen).

But this year's Patriots look unstoppable. I think they're that much better than anyone else, that if they decide that they want to go undefeated, I don't see how anyone can beat them. They clearly have the best offense, and they might have the best defense.

This is as dominant a team as I've seen since 1985.

If they didn't play in a division they're going to clinch by week 10, I might say they'd do it. But they're going to be on cruise control the last few weeks of the season. That might be the only way they lose.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Re: Will the Patriots go 16-0?

If they truly wanted to go undeafted, they could. But as you said, they'll have the bye and home field clinched by Week 13, allowing them to rest all of their starters before the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    If they truly wanted to go undeafted, they could. But as you said, they'll have the bye and home field clinched by Week 13, allowing them to rest all of their starters before the playoffs.
    I don't think they'll have it wrapped up by week 13. If the Colts lose to the Pats, I think that will probably be their only loss. That will probably force the Pats to have to win all the way up to the last week of the season, then they may rest their starters. But who knows you could be right.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I'd love to see it but I doubt it'l happen, 14-2 and a super bowl championship
    Go Gators!

Best team I've seen in a long time. They pushed a pretty good Dallas team all over the field. Maybe on a good day, Indy can beat them in a shootout.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Barring injuries, I think only INDY can beat them if they play well. Get through that game, and it'll be all about execution.

I don't think they will, but they appear to be the best team the NFL has seen since the Cowboys back in the early-mid 90s.

The only team I see that even has a chance to beat them is Indianapolis. That game is November 4th. If they get past Indy I think they will go undefeated.

"Great" is a word that gets thrown around way too much, but they are a truely great team.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    "Great" is a word that gets thrown around way too much, but they are a truely great team.
    Exactly. I can't stand when people call something that is average or above average great. The Patriots are truely a great team. I think that if they want to they can easily go 16 and 0. Will they? Probably not. They will clinch in a few weeks, and they won't have anything more to play for.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

As a Cowboys fan, I assumed they would put up some points against our secondary, but wow... they just moved the ball at will. I'm not even sure that they really need a good running back to destroy teams as long as that line holds up.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I want those smug, retired Dolphins from the 70's to be alive when somebody breaks their record.

It would be most satifying if it were a completely unclassy undisciplined group, just to get Bob Griese's panties in a bunch.

The Patriots are generally classy and disciplined, but I'll take it.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I want those smug, retired Dolphins from the 70's to be alive when somebody breaks their record.

It would be most satifying if it were a completely unclassy undisciplined group, just to get Bob Griese's panties in a bunch.

The Patriots are generally classy and disciplined, but I'll take it.
    That's exactly the group I think about whenever this comes up...

they still send a case of champagne to the last team to lose their undefeated status each season. Lame.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    That's exactly the group I think about whenever this comes up...

they still send a case of champagne to the last team to lose their undefeated status each season. Lame.
    Send a case of champagne? The way I understand it, the members of that team just meet to drink a champagne toast when the last undefeated team finally loses. Sending a case of champagne sounds more like the kind of in-your-face gesture that a modern player would do.

Nick Buoniconti's entry at Wikipedia agrees with me.
    /r/reds

The whole Videogate incident may have provided the fuel the Pats need to go for 16-0.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Patriots have no weaknesses. None. They're excellent on both lines, QB, skill positions, special teams - both coverage and returns, intangibles (leadership, cohesion, discipline), LB corps, secondary, defensive scheming, and perhaps most importantly, coaching. In today's NFL, that's pretty much unheard of. Scary too.

But will they go 16-0? Well, in addition to the aforementioned Colts game and possible starters-getting-rest-in-preparation-for-playoffs games against the Dolphins (wk 16) and Giants (wk 17), there's also the Steelers matchup. The Steelers play excellent defense (especially against the run), and actually have the personnel and defensive scheming to take away or, more likely, contain the Patriots' best player - Tom Brady. If they can neutralize him while stopping the run as they traditionally do, then Ben, Willie Parker and the offensive line may be able to muster just enough offense to steal one away. It'd be no easy task, but I think the Steelers (who I despise with a passion) actually have as good a shot as anybody.

Turn Off Ads?