Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sampson at it again

Sampson at it again

Loses a 500k raise and a scholarship.

Can't help but laugh, although I'll have to admit that I might feel just a little bad for IU fans.....

Nah, who am I kidding?

Will he ever learn?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sampson at it again

Yeah it was pretty stupid of him. And just when I was starting to get past the fact that he was a cheater.
    Here's the story:

IU fines, punishes Sampson for illegal calls
    By Terry Hutchens
    terry.hutchens@indystar.com
    October 14, 2007

Indiana University announced today that basketball coach Kelvin Sampson is being fined and punished for participating in phone conversations to recruits during the time the NCAA prohibited him from doing so.

Sampson will lose $500,000, a scholarship for next season and the use of one of his assistants on the road for recruiting.
    IU athletic director Rick Greenspan said a two-month review determined that on approximately 10 occasions, an assistant coach initiated three-way calls that connected Sampson into an on-going recruiting conversation with prospective student-athletes, their parents or coaches.

Greenspan said he convened with the school's senior administrators before punishing Sampson. He said the coach's missteps did not warrant Sampson's dismissal.

"We considered all the facts," Greenspan said. "We determined these sanctions are significant and severe and appropriate."

The NCAA likely will weigh in on the matter in the next few days.

Sampson came to Indiana under NCAA sanctions for a large number of illegal phone calls to recruits while he was the coach at the University of Oklahoma through the 2005-06 season. He was not allowed to recruit off campus or make phone calls to recruits from May 25, 2006-May 24, 2007.
    "We determined that the impermissible calls occurred because some staff members did not fully comply with the sanctions they were operating under,’’ Greenspan said in a news release sent by the university. "We are addressing the problem, and we are voluntarily extending these limitations on recruiting for another season to ensure that the full effect of NCAA restrictions or recruiting is realized."
    In the announcement, Greenspan revealed that Sampson has voluntarily agreed to forego a scheduled $500,000 raise for the 2007-08 season, and that assistant coach Rob Senderoff will be prohibited for a year from making recruiting phone calls and from recruiting off campus. In addition, Senderoff will not receive a bonus this season or a salary increase next year.
    The university announced that Greenspan and Sampson will be available to the media through a teleconference at 1 p.m. today.

According to the press release, Greenspan commissioned the Collegiate Sports Practice of the Indianapolis law firm of Ice Miller to conduct a full and independent investigation. The results of that prompted Greenspan to take the actions that were announced today.
    The review found that of all the recruiting calls made during the year, the majority of those that were found to be contrary of the sanctions were made by Senderoff. Only two calls were attributed to Sampson.
    “Those were just a small fraction of the thousands of allowable phone calls that were made and received during this time,”Greenspan said. “However, Indiana University expects full and complete compliance with all NCAA rules and sanctions. That is why I am imposing a new round of recruiting restrictions and sanctions on Coach Sampson and his staff. I want to send a strong message that nothing less than complete compliance with the NCAA is the standard by which we operate.”
    This story will be updated.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

BRM, where are ya buddy?

Muster up your courage and take your lumps like a good IU fan should.

No one should be surprised. Indiana is getting what they wanted because they could have hired a any one of a bunch of guys not named Sampson.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    No one should be surprised. Indiana is getting what they wanted because they could have hired a any one of a bunch of guys not named Sampson.
    I agree completely. I was angry when they hired him in the first place and this certainly isn't changing my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I agree completely. I was angry when they hired him in the first place and this certainly isn't changing my feelings.
    I am not an IU fan and I was was stunned when they hired Sampson, absolutely floored. I thought there were a number of better choices who didn't have any baggage.

Someone needs to take Kelvin's phone privliges away from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I am not an IU fan and I was was stunned when they hired Sampson, absolutely floored. I thought there were a number of better choices who didn't have any baggage.
    I agree again. I fell out of my chair when Sampson was hired.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I agree again. I fell out of my chair when Sampson was hired.
    Well at least he didn't throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I wish IU would throw it...with Sampson in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'd take the guy who threw chairs any day over this cheater.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I don't understand why he can't just follow the rules. They are pretty straight forward. Besides, all of this cheating hasn't really gotten him that good of recruits anyway. Maybe he should wait until he is coaching a powerhouse school to cheat. It's not worth it at Indiana.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Fool me once, shame on you....blah, blah, blah.

Don't worry Indiana fans, Kelvin will just blame this on his rogue assistants. Again.

Sad thing is, Billy Gillispie has been in trouble in the past for the same thing more or less.

Even though I am a Kentucky fan, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Sampson is a scumbag, he will have IU on probation in no time.

Turn Off Ads?