Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Project 2007 - Florida Marlins

GM Project 2007 - Florida Marlins

A few seasons back we mocked GMed for each team in the league and I thought it made for enjoyable offseason discussion, so I figured I'd put out one of these a day during the week and let folks put on their mad scientist caps. I'll start with the NL East and cover every club other than the Reds, because this board already does the Reds to death.

The basic idea is what would you do with the given club this offseason? I'll list a few basics and you can take it from there.

First up, the Florida Marlins, 2007 record 71-91, -101 run differential

Offense

790 runs (6th NL)
    .336 OB (7th NL)
    .448 SLG (3rd NL)
    105-139 SB (6th NL)

Strengths:

3B - Miguel Cabrera, .966 OPS
    SS - Hanley Ramirez, .948 OPS, 51 SB
    2B - Dan Uggla, .805 OPS
    RF - Jeremy Hermida, .870 OPS
    LF - Josh Willingham, .827 OPS

Holes:

C
    1B
    CF (dependent on how you feel about Cody Ross)

Pitching

4.96 ERA (16th NL)
    .364 OB (16th NL)
    .442 SLG (11th NL)
    .669 DER (29th MLB)

Weaknesses

rotation
    bullpen

Advanced prospects

Brett Carroll - OF
    Robert Andino - SS
    Jai Miller - OF
    Gaby Hernandez - P
    Daniel Barone - P
    Chris Volstad - P
    Rick VandenHurk - P
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: GM Project 2007 - Florida Marlins

Firstly their defense is beyond awful. Perhaps worse than the Reds even. The 3 major flaws there would be CF, 3rd base, and SS. So Cabrera needs to move to first base and HanRam should be tried in CF, and if that doesn't work, 3rd base would be a logical solution as well because of a good arm. His range would play much better there.

The defense switch makes Mike Jacobs expendable (he was a very poor option at first anyways). With Cabrera, Ramirez, Willingham, Uggla, and Hermida in the line-up their offense will again be great. To fill the catcher hole, I think finding a defensive gem would be the smart move. They have more than enough offense to carry on a weak stick. Jason Kendall may work here (assuming an affordable contract could be in place at 3-4M, especially since he could give some stability to Florida's young pitching.

I think with those 3 moves, you have potentially a very improved defensive team depending how well Ramirez takes to centre. If not the Marlins may have to look at a guy like Cory Patterson (*shudder*) to man the huge centrefield.

Funny thing in relation to the Reds manager and guys like Baker and Girardi. I haven't seen Girardi being run down for Johnson and Sanchez having their arms fall of in 2007.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Firstly their defense is beyond awful. Perhaps worse than the Reds even. The 3 major flaws there would be CF, 3rd base, and SS. So Cabrera needs to move to first base and HanRam should be tried in CF, and if that doesn't work, 3rd base would be a logical solution as well because of a good arm. His range would play much better there.

The defense switch makes Mike Jacobs expendable (he was a very poor option at first anyways). With Cabrera, Ramirez, Willingham, Uggla, and Hermida in the line-up their offense will again be great. To fill the catcher hole, I think finding a defensive gem would be the smart move. They have more than enough offense to carry on a weak stick. Jason Kendall may work here (assuming an affordable contract could be in place at 3-4M, especially since he could give some stability to Florida's young pitching.

I think with those 3 moves, you have potentially a very improved defensive team depending how well Ramirez takes to centre. If not the Marlins may have to look at a guy like Cory Patterson (*shudder*) to man the huge centrefield.
    You don't move Cabrera. You don't move Hanley. Both were much improved after May and it's not like we have a 3b/ss to replace those guys anyway.

What the Marlins need is health. Josh Johnson needs to come back strong, as does Anibal Sanchez. The bullpen was outstanding this year. The main issues were defense and starting pitching. The defense will improve. The pitching if it can get healthy will improve. And the offense, just by getting another year older will improve.

The Marlins need a catcher. That is the absolute most important thing for them this offseason. They can have a bunch of guys go play CF, specifically Cody Ross and Brett Carroll. A catcher is what this team sorely lacks.
    woo woo woo, you know it

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Funny thing in relation to the Reds manager and guys like Baker and Girardi. I haven't seen Girardi being run down for Johnson and Sanchez having their arms fall of in 2007.
    Girardi has been eaten alive by Marlins fans for what happened under his (and pitching coach Rick Kranitz') watch.

Johnson, Sanchez, Kensing, Martinez, Garcia, West all had either rotator cuff, labrum or tommy john surgery.

It's not as public because no one gives a damn about the Marlins.
    woo woo woo, you know it

Is Carroll a legit CF? I was under the impression he's more of a corner guy.

Willingham to 1B would make some sense.

I agree about the need for a catcher.

Given the nature of the injuries the Marlins pitchers suffered, I don't think they can heal their way out of this pitching mess anytime soon. There aren't a ton of arms in the upper minors either, though you can be sure Volstad will be getting the rush treatment.

It would seem the hope would be for Olsen and Mitre to improve, but 2009 is probably the earliest this club is going to be much of a danger. It's probably time to trade Dontrelle Willis, though his value is at an all-time low, but since the club has time perhaps they'll wait until midseason to pull the trigger.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I just don't see Ramirez as ever being a good fielding SS. I think he's outgrown the position. And Cabrera has stunk at 3rd his whole major league career. These guys can improve of course, but I don't see them ever being even average.

Say you move Ramirez to third, Cabrera to first, and then look to get a couple of affordable gloveman at catcher and SS. Suddenly you improve your team defense at 4 positions. That's the fastest way to improe your pitching quickly, while only marginally sacrificing offense. Perhaps it's not the optimal usage of positions since you are left with Jacobs without a position, but it's an awfully fast way to turn around an incredibly poor defense.

The other option I could see would be Willingham to first, Carrol to left, HanRam to CF, and a pick-up of a glove based SS. Either way, I'd like to see HanRam somewhere besides SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Say you move Ramirez to third, Cabrera to first, and then look to get a couple of affordable gloveman at catcher and SS. Suddenly you improve your team defense at 4 positions. That's the fastest way to improve your pitching quickly, while only marginally sacrificing offense.
    IMO, that's a pretty spiffy idea.

I don't have any real input here but I love this idea. Keep it up.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Is Carroll a legit CF? I was under the impression he's more of a corner guy.

Willingham to 1B would make some sense.

I agree about the need for a catcher.

Given the nature of the injuries the Marlins pitchers suffered, I don't think they can heal their way out of this pitching mess anytime soon. There aren't a ton of arms in the upper minors either, though you can be sure Volstad will be getting the rush treatment.

It would seem the hope would be for Olsen and Mitre to improve, but 2009 is probably the earliest this club is going to be much of a danger. It's probably time to trade Dontrelle Willis, though his value is at an all-time low, but since the club has time perhaps they'll wait until midseason to pull the trigger.
    Yea, Carroll is a legit CFer. I have no prob in moving Willis if we can get that catcher or CFer back in return (pref catcher). Milledge(among others) or a Laird/Teagarden duo for Willis would certainly be good for this franchise.

The Marlins have 2 very good arms who will be very close to being ready on Opening Day next year. Chris Volstad and Gaby Hernandez. Ricky Nolasco will be healthy. Mitre, back from dead arm should improve. If Olsen isn't in jail, he too should be better (cant be much worse).

As for you Austin, and this isn't a knock in the slightest but you don't watch these guys night in night out. Hanley is not too big for SS, and when Cabs is in shape (which he was the last few months), he is a much better 3b. Now if Cabs comes into camp this year as Big Papi, then we have issues. Hopefully that isn't the case though.
    woo woo woo, you know it

I don't think you have to watch Hanley Ramirez every night to notice he's a pretty awful SS.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Why not move Hanley to CF?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

They should bring back Paul LoDuca (a free agent, I think). He's a decent backstop, and he'd be a good catcher to handle a young pitching staff.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think you have to watch Hanley Ramirez every night to notice he's a pretty awful SS.
    Agreed. Just watching one or two games randomly should automatically forge your opinion on a player.

Maybe I will watch one at bat of Jay Bruce's next year and if/when he strikes out, I shall declare that is a strikeout machine!

Sarcasm aside, Hanley was a pretty damn good shortstop the last half of the year. If he struggles in 2008, then a change could be coming. It's not like there is a shortstop waiting in the minors, or a relatively cheap free agent that we can go out and get. Our best case scenario is for Hanley to keep improving and make himself into a solid shortstop.
    woo woo woo, you know it

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    Agreed. Just watching one or two games randomly should automatically forge your opinion on a player.

Maybe I will watch one at bat of Jay Bruce's next year and if/when he strikes out, I shall declare that is a strikeout machine!

Sarcasm aside, Hanley was a pretty damn good shortstop the last half of the year. If he struggles in 2008, then a change could be coming. It's not like there is a shortstop waiting in the minors, or a relatively cheap free agent that we can go out and get. Our best case scenario is for Hanley to keep improving and make himself into a solid shortstop.
    Admittedly, I paid scant notice to the Marlins in the latter half of the year, even when I watched games in which they were involved (though I've seen Ramirez play a few dozen times and his defensive reputation precedes him these days).

That said, Ramirez was a bad shortstop in 2006 and in the minors too, which is why the Red Sox brass was willing to deal him. They didn't think he was a long-term answer at SS.

He's sort of Felipe Lopez out there, tools that don't translate. The Fish don't have a stud all-around player to supplant Ramirez at SS, but Andino is probably a better defender. Whether he could hit enough to justify playing him is another matter altogether.

Seeing that the club already has a bunch of offense, they should be able to carry a glove man in the #8 hole. Obviously the plan is to come up with young pitchers and the defense the club played in 2007 could put those kids in a psych ward.

Turn Off Ads?