Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM Project 2007 - Florida Marlins

Re: GM Project 2007 - Florida Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Admittedly, I paid scant notice to the Marlins in the latter half of the year, even when I watched games in which they were involved (though I've seen Ramirez play a few dozen times and his defensive reputation precedes him these days).

That said, Ramirez was a bad shortstop in 2006 and in the minors too, which is why the Red Sox brass was willing to deal him. They didn't think he was a long-term answer at SS.

He's sort of Felipe Lopez out there, tools that don't translate. The Fish don't have a stud all-around player to supplant Ramirez at SS, but Andino is probably a better defender. Whether he could hit enough to justify playing him is another matter altogether.

Seeing that the club already has a bunch of offense, they should be able to carry a glove man in the #8 hole. Obviously the plan is to come up with young pitchers and the defense the club played in 2007 could put those kids in a psych ward.
    I'll give you that Hanley's rep definitely precedes him, but I think the Red Sox were more interested in moving Hanley because of Josh Beckett more than anything.

as for the guy who is supposed to be great with the glove, Robert Andino had 30+ errors this year from what I recall.
    woo woo woo, you know it

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    The Marlins have 2 very good arms who will be very close to being ready on Opening Day next year. Chris Volstad and Gaby Hernandez. Ricky Nolasco will be healthy. Mitre, back from dead arm should improve. If Olsen isn't in jail, he too should be better (cant be much worse).
    Chris Volstad won't be close to ready on OD next year. He got absolutely DESTROYED in the Florida State Leauge last year.... that is not supposed to happen to pitchers. He has decently good stuff, and is a supposed groundball machine, although so is Carlos Fisher of the Reds for that matter, but Volstad was allowing a ton of hits and not missing many bats last year. The Marlins may have talked about bringing him up, but it would have been out of stupidity, not because he was even close to ready.

I'll give you that Hanley's rep definitely precedes him, but I think the Red Sox were more interested in moving Hanley because of Josh Beckett more than anything.

as for the guy who is supposed to be great with the glove, Robert Andino had 30+ errors this year from what I recall.
    I'm not saying Andino's the answer. Supposedly he has the tools, but there's a sizable leap from supposedly to actually. Reds fans have been treated to kids like Gookie Dawkins and Rainer Olmedo who never delivered on their defensive reputations.

On Ramirez, I was at a game in New Britain a few years back and Portland (the Sox AA affiliate) was in town. I was talking with one Sox fans and he was imagining Ramirez as the future shortstop in Boston. We were right next to a Sox scout and the guy warned him not to expect Ramirez to stick at SS, didn't like his hands or his footwork. Think Bill Hall.

Obviously others might differ, but the line I've heard up here for two years is the Sox knew they were trading a heck of talent in Ramirez, they just didn't think they were trading a kid who'd be the answer for them at SS.

Though I can see not wanting to move him until you have a definitive replacement. The Marlins have time on their side, no need to do anything overly hasty.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm not saying Andino's the answer. Supposedly he has the tools, but there's a sizable leap from supposedly to actually. Reds fans have been treated to kids like Gookie Dawkins and Rainer Olmedo who never delivered on their defensive reputations.

On Ramirez, I was at a game in New Britain a few years back and Portland (the Sox AA affiliate) was in town. I was talking with one Sox fans and he was imagining Ramirez as the future shortstop in Boston. We were right next to a Sox scout and the guy warned him not to expect Ramirez to stick at SS, didn't like his hands or his footwork. Think Bill Hall.

Obviously others might differ, but the line I've heard up here for two years is the Sox knew they were trading a heck of talent in Ramirez, they just didn't think they were trading a kid who'd be the answer for them at SS.

Though I can see not wanting to move him until you have a definitive replacement. The Marlins have time on their side, no need to do anything overly hasty.
    funny, but like a bad restaurant location it seems like Boston is now "the place where short stops careers go to die".

Renteria, Gonzalez, and now Lugo
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    funny, but like a bad restaurant location it seems like Boston is now "the place where short stops careers go to die".

Renteria, Gonzalez, and now Lugo
    It's the Curse of Nomah!
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

ramp, quick question for you:

If you could make one move this offseason for the Marlins what would it be? Give me some names.

ramp, quick question for you:

If you could make one move this offseason for the Marlins what would it be? Give me some names.
    Move Willis for something like Milledge/Pelfrey/Heilman, Laird/Teagarden, Clement/whatever

we have 2 pieces to fill (if we keep Hanley and Cabs at their current spots)... CF and C. Would love to fill one or both with another young guy who is ready.

But if you want one name that can turn the franchise around, one a year deal, it's Barry Bonds. I'll wait for the laughter to subside.

Anyway, he wants to play the field, he can play LF, move Willingham to 1b, trade Jacobs for something decent. Gives us arguably the best 1-6 in the NL. Makes the Marlins relevant. Brings fans to the park. I don't mean sellout crowds, but people will come to see Barry, love him or not. And he is good friends with our owner as well. We have been known to make crazy 1 year deals, and this one would be the best.

But I think the most important move outside of Mr Bonds, is a young catcher if possible.
    woo woo woo, you know it

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chris Volstad won't be close to ready on OD next year. He got absolutely DESTROYED in the Florida State Leauge last year.... that is not supposed to happen to pitchers. He has decently good stuff, and is a supposed groundball machine, although so is Carlos Fisher of the Reds for that matter, but Volstad was allowing a ton of hits and not missing many bats last year. The Marlins may have talked about bringing him up, but it would have been out of stupidity, not because he was even close to ready.
    He got bored in High A. He was much better in AA. He will be up with the team by May 15th in 2008.
    woo woo woo, you know it

He got bored in High A. He was much better in AA. He will be up with the team by May 15th in 2008.
    He was much better in AA, albeit in 42 innings. He however was far from dominant in AA, allowing 41 hits and 10 walks while striking out just 25 batters. His big key that everyone always talk about him with though is the amount of groundballs that he gets, and in AA it dropped to 51%, which is basically nuetral. He may be with the Fish by the 15th of May next year, but the odds are that it won't be pretty......

Turn Off Ads?