Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives from Dusty Baker's press conference

Positives From Dusty's Presser

Now I know that more than a few of us are upset about the Dusty Baker hiring, but I thought it would be refreshing to discuss some of the potential good things it might represent. Most importantly to me is that I feel it's indicative of an ownership interest in throwing money at the problem. Granted, no one wants to "mortgage our future" or any of the other negatives that's implied in spending alot of money... but I feel that the powers-that-be could have been a little more loose w/ the purse strings over the past few years. And recent comments make me feel a little more optimistic about the possibility of the Reds making a splash this off season.

Maybe I'm just wearing rose-colored glasses after my rush onto the field following the Kentucky v. LSU game, but I'm brimming with excitement to discuss what possible improvements await the Reds this winter. Which leads me to the following topics:

1. What would you do w/ the freed up Eric Milton money AND whatever extra money BCast throws the team's way? (let's talk new players here and not focus too much on arbitration increases, etc - because that's just not as much fun)

2. What players do you think may have contacted Dusty about playing for the reds? Anyone we need or would want?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Positives From Dusty's Presser

1. I'd use the money on a solid closer.

2. I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    1. I'd use the money on a solid closer.

2. I have no idea.
    2. Pitching, pitching, pitching, and more pitching.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Mariano Rivera

and the only player i could really think of that played under dusty that is a big name free agent this offseason is barry bonds, but i doubt that would be something they'd go after considering the money that he will command, and the needs that they have in their bullpen.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post

Maybe I'm just wearing rose-colored glasses after my rush onto the field following the Kentucky v. LSU game, but I'm brimming with excitement to discuss what possible improvements await the Reds this winter. Which leads me to the following topics:

1. What would you do w/ the freed up Eric Milton money AND whatever extra money BCast throws the team's way? (let's talk new players here and not focus too much on arbitration increases, etc - because that's just not as much fun)

2. What players do you think may have contacted Dusty about playing for the reds? Anyone we need or would want?
    I'd like to address your 2nd topic hippie07. I start with those players that have had the opportunity to play for Dusty. First guy that comes to mind is Rich Aurillia. While Rich did a very fine job for the Reds, I think his age and desire to leave Cincinnati doesn't bode well for his return. Aurillia would not start here unless EE was injured. One player that jumps out is Joe Nathan. Nathan played for Baker in 'Frisco from 1999-2002 season. If and when Nathan becomes available, he would be a very nice addition to the bullpen. Joe Nathan has 8 years in the Majors and a career 3.00 ERA. For the Cubs- RP Ryan Dempster -Cubs, might want to come back to Cincinnati to play for Dusty when Dempster becomes a free agent after the 2008 season. Other than these last two players I've named, I really don't know how would fit with the Reds and whom the Reds could acquire.

It will be fun to watch this off-season as to the type of
    player(s) Dusty will attract to the Reds. This division is so winnable that I believe Castellini realizes it is the prime time to strike (with savvy trades and a bigger and hopefully better payroll).

1. My wish list would be Mariano Rivera & either Carlos Silva or Curt Schilling

2. What about Kerry Wood (as a reliever)? He's a free agent this year I believe.

... A girl can dream, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    I'd like to address your 2nd topic hippie07. I start with those players that have had the opportunity to play for Dusty. First guy that comes to mind is Rich Aurillia. While Rich did a very fine job for the Reds, I think his age and desire to leave Cincinnati doesn't bode well for his return. Aurillia would not start here unless EE was injured. One player that jumps out is Joe Nathan. Nathan played for Baker in 'Frisco from 1999-2002 season. If and when Nathan becomes available, he would be a very nice addition to the bullpen. Joe Nathan has 8 years in the Majors and a career 3.00 ERA. For the Cubs- RP Ryan Dempster -Cubs, might want to come back to Cincinnati to play for Dusty when Dempster becomes a free agent after the 2008 season. Other than these last two players I've named, I really don't know how would fit with the Reds and whom the Reds could acquire.

It will be fun to watch this off-season as to the type of
    player(s) Dusty will attract to the Reds. This division is so winnable that I believe Castellini realizes it is the prime time to strike (with savvy trades and a bigger and hopefully better payroll).
    As long as it isn't Bonds I'm okay. I would love to have Nathan. He also has ties to Krivsky, so he would be a natural fit. I would be fine with Dempster, as another solid veteran arm in the pen, and probably as the closer. I am not too high on Aurillia. As you pointed out he was trying to get out of here as fast as he could. That's not an example I would like to set by bringing him back.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

is nathan a free agent? that would be pretty sweet.

also curt schilling would be a quality pick up.

I really don't want carlos silva though, we just got out of milton's contract, i don't want another one like it.

Yes Nathan is a free agent. Would be great to have him as a closer and Burton/Weathers as set up men.

That settles it. Rivera and Nathan will be Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    That settles it. Rivera and Nathan will be Reds.
    I wish. If Castillini wants to make a statement though he will get Nathan and Carlos Silva from the Twins. That would really improve this team's pitching. It may cost around ten million per player though. By the way, Nathan is not a free agent, he has a six million dollar team option for next year. Let's hope they send him packing.
    -LTlabner

i for one go on the record right now to say i DO NOT want silva.

I have heard the Milton money is set to go into increases in salary for existing players, so that money may already be spent. We can only guess who has contacted Dusty.

Re: Positives from Dusty Baker's press conference

here is an interesting perspective....

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...101407.article

Re: Positives from Dusty Baker's press conference

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    here is an interesting perspective....

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...101407.article
    Wait... lets sign some great pitchers,get close to the pennant,then not let them pitch.

Turn Off Ads?