Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pineiro agrees to $13 million, 2-year contract with Cardinals

Senor Votto

Pineiro agrees to $13 million, 2-year contract with Cardinals

Pineiro agrees to $13 million, 2-year contract with Cardinals

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    October 15, 2007

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- After reviving his career as a starting pitcher, Joel Pineiro briefly considered testing the free-agent market. He ended up staying in the same place, with the team that gave him another opportunity.

Pineiro agreed to a $13 million, two-year contract with St. Louis on Monday after thriving with the Cardinals down the stretch.

"St. Louis gave me that chance," Pineiro said. "They took that chance on me. That meant a lot to me."

The right-hander went 6-4 in 11 starts with St. Louis after being acquired from the Red Sox at the trade deadline, and could have opted for free agency. The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $5 million in 2008 and $7.5 million in 2009.

"We felt very strongly at the time of the trade that Joel had the ability to improve our starting rotation once he had time to condition himself for that role," interim general manager John Mozeliak said. "We are extremely pleased to have re-signed Joel and project him to be a steady performer for us, much like he did down the stretch this past season."

Pineiro is the third pitcher retained since the end of the season, with the Cardinals also picking up an $8 million option on closer Jason Isringhausen and re-signing right-hander Russ Springer.

Pineiro began the year in Boston's bullpen, making 31 relief appearances, and made two starts for Triple-A Pawtucket in late July before the Cardinals acquired him along with cash for a minor leaguer. He was pitching coach Dave Duncan's latest reclamation project with a 3.96 ERA the last two months, and closed out his surge by helping to knock the New York Mets out of the postseason in a 3-0 victory on Sept. 27.

The 29-year-old worked into the sixth inning in seven of his starts, and the team was 7-4 when he pitched. He credited Duncan, who also has revived the likes of Jeff Weaver and Woody Williams in recent seasons, with reworking his delivery.

"The biggest key was they were really interested in me and I was interested in them," Pineiro said. "My family loved it here, and now I think I can help this ballclub from the first day instead of the middle of the season."

Pineiro, Adam Wainwright and Braden Looper are expected to be in the Cardinals rotation next year but the other two spots are in flux. Mark Mulder may not be ready for opening day after a second shoulder operation in September and ace Chris Carpenter won't be back until after the All-Star break following reconstructive elbow surgery.

It's also unclear who will manage St. Louis next season. Tony La Russa was deliberating whether to return for a 13th season while awaiting the results of a GM search to replace Walt Jocketty, who was dismissed last week.

Team spokesman Brian Bartow said Mozeliak's next order of business will be re-signing shortstop David Eckstein, the 2006 World Series MVP who can be a free agent.

"I could never see him leaving," Pineiro said. "Hopefully he will still be a part of this team.

"A lot of players are coming back and if everybody stays healthy we'll have some fun."

Pineiro is 65-60 with a 4.47 ERA in 227 games for his career, including 159 starts. He combined for 30 victories for the Mariners in 2002 and 2003.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pineiro agrees to $13 million, 2-year contract with Cardinals

Kyle Loshe is going to be a rich rich man.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Kyle Loshe is going to be a rich rich man.
    The contract he's going to get is scary

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    The contract he's going to get is scary

I love that audio clip on Lance McAlister's blog of Brantley and Marty calling a game with Lohse pitching where Brantley says Lohse needs to stay away from the same pitch the batter hit for a home run earlier in the game, and just then he throws the same pitch and the hitter hits it out again, sending Brantley into a tirade about some pitchers never learning. It was classic.

I wonder how much of the bump in Pineiro's performance is attributable to the work of pitching coach Dave Duncan, and how much is attributable to the unfamiliarity of NL hitters with his stuff?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I wonder how much of the bump in Pineiro's performance is attributable to the work of pitching coach Dave Duncan, and how much is attributable to the unfamiliarity of NL hitters with his stuff?
    He has "revived his career" according to article based on 11 starts.
    Basically, it is similar to Jeff Weaver only Joel's wasnt in the post-season. Pineiro may have turned it around but 11 starts in a new league says unfamiliarity to me. Of course I would rather the Cards have him in rotation rather than someone like Schilling.

Or how much is attributable to the "juice" that Tony LaRussa's teams always seem to stumble upon? Is it Dave Duncan working wonders, or the team pharmacist?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Exactly. If St. Louis wants to guarantee a guy $13 million bucks for 11 decent starts, 5 or 6 of which were in Sept. against callups, have at it. His agent is one heck of a manipulator.

Turn Off Ads?