Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Beat Writer Blogs Bout Dusty

Recovering Cubs Fan

Cubs Beat Writer Blogs Bout Dusty

http://www.beepcentral.com/blogs/bin...3103&blog=3990

Basically a warning from someone who spent four years covering Baker's Cub team.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs Beat Writer Blogs Bout Dusty

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

That was a terrific move Piniella made in taking out their best pitcher in the first round playoffs..........yeah, he's a great manager.

I loved Lou, but every manager has come up short at times. How many Jerry Narron's are there out there that never even sniff the playoffs or win their division?

I'm starting to like Dusty even more. I think managing in a big town like Chicago did him in. That place is nothing but trouble anyway.

I don't understand why Cubs fans have to hold on to things like this. Just let the Reds hire whoever they want, and get over it. Just because he didn't do too well in his last year in Chicago doesn't mean he won't do well here. As ChatterRed said, every manager has to come up short at times. Dusty was under tremendous pressure, and he failed. We all make mistakes. It's time to let go Chicago.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Baker is bad. What happened to wood, prior, and clement? they had their arms fall off with him. While with the Cubs, they had power, but they couldn't get on-base!!! I think this is the wrong guy. The big question for him is how will he handle the young guys coming up (Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto).

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Baker is bad. What happened to wood, prior, and clement? they had their arms fall off with him. While with the Cubs, they had power, but they couldn't get on-base!!! I think this is the wrong guy. The big question for him is how will he handle the young guys coming up (Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto).
    Wood and Prior both had bad mechanics. He probably rode them a little hard, but they were both ticking time bombs. When you are a manager on a team that has to fight, you will have to ride you're best players. I find no fault that he tried to ride these players and they failed. How can you find fault in a guy who is just playing the card he is delt?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

It's pretty clear by now that Baker succeeds with veteran clubs, but not just any veteran clubs. Baker needs strong leaders in the clubhouse to keep the room in line. Things got out of hand badly in '04, and Baker didn't seem interested in righting the ship. Instead, he framed it as "us against them."
    Here's hoping there isn't even a grain of truth to this statement.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, blah.

That was a terrific move Piniella made in taking out their best pitcher in the first round playoffs..........yeah, he's a great manager.

I loved Lou, but every manager has come up short at times. How many Jerry Narron's are there out there that never even sniff the playoffs or win their division?

I'm starting to like Dusty even more. I think managing in a big town like Chicago did him in. That place is nothing but trouble anyway.
    This whole quote sums up my feelings exactly. I enjoyed watching Dusty while with the giants, didnt while with the cubs(because it was the cubs) but now that he is wearing a reds uni, I am rooting for him big time.
    One thing about Dusty,and I havent heard his news conference but this guys knows what the reds were like and cincy was like back "in the day".
    When the reds and LA got together, that was when you marked your calendar. Rose, Morgan, Bench, Foster etc vs Lopes,Garvey,Baker,Cey etc. That was a rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    ....... Just because he didn't do too well in his last year in Chicago doesn't mean he won't do well here. ......... Dusty was under tremendous pressure, and he failed. We all make mistakes. .....
    Last year in Chicago? Dusty started with a team that should have gone to the WS in '03 and went downhill over the next three years until he had the worst record in baseball.

Tremendous pressure? poor baby. will $9mm help with the pressure? please.....

We all make mistakes?

Look, turning a losing team into a winner is more the responsibility of the players the GM provides and how they perform. DB has had the horses for his entire managing career. Let's hope he gets them here.

....That was a terrific move Piniella made in taking out their best pitcher in the first round playoffs..........yeah, he's a great manager.

Lou took out the starter and replaced him with the best set up man in baseball. Marmol didn't perform. That was not why the Cub lost; lack of offense is why the Cub lost, not that single event in the short series.

Managing in a big town like Chicago did poor Dusty in? you are kidding, right? thats sarcasm, right?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Lou took out the starter and replaced him with the best set up man in baseball. Marmol didn't perform.
    It wasnt the fact of who Lou brought in but the fact that Lou said on why he did it !! Him saying he did it to save him for a game that was never played made him look pretty bad.

part of BBN

Last year in Chicago? Dusty started with a team that should have gone to the WS in '03 and went downhill over the next three years until he had the worst record in baseball.

Tremendous pressure? poor baby. will $9mm help with the pressure? please.....

We all make mistakes?
    Torre hasnt been winning the WS every year and Francona is getting ready to make an exit again it looks like. Girardi had a sub 500 record and Cox has been on sidelines alot lately.
    A manager is only as good as the players perform. I think placing so much blame on Baker for cubs spiral is unfair. In other words, I doubt Torre or the above mentioned would have done any different if they were manager of cubs.
    Is he the best man for the job or not...I dont know but as you said...he does need the horses and lets hope Bob C adds more to the stable.

Lou took out the starter and replaced him with the best set up man in baseball. Marmol didn't perform. That was not why the Cub lost; lack of offense is why the Cub lost, not that single event in the short series.

Managing in a big town like Chicago did poor Dusty in? you are kidding, right? thats sarcasm, right?

No. I said, or meant to say, it's the Chicago Cubs organization.......the buffoonery of MLB. So they went to the playoffs this year. Big deal. They squeaked in and then made fools out of themselves. The dished out a ton of money and should have won the division by more than they did.

Anything coming out of Chicago in terms of criticizing Dusty Baker is just sour grapes. They'll be saying the same things about Lou Piniella in a matter of years.

....... I think managing in a big town like Chicago did him in. That place is nothing but trouble anyway.
    here is what you said......Chicago did him in. what do you mean, then?

Whatever it is, DB could not handle it. That is the point.

Sour grape? please........no one was sad to see DB leave.
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

part of BBN

Anything coming out of Chicago in terms of criticizing Dusty Baker is just sour grapes. They'll be saying the same things about Lou Piniella in a matter of years.
    Yes they will. Lou won a below average division this year with an average team.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Yes they will. Lou won a below average division this year with an average team.
    so? you don't win, you are fair game for criticism. that's the way it is everywhere, not just Chicago.

when DB doesn't win in two years, will you give him an extension?
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

Turn Off Ads?