Turn Off Ads?

Thread: HD Radio???

HD Radio???

Is there anyone out there who has experience with HD radio? I've had satellite before but I really don't listen to the radio enough to justify the expense. However, HD radio intrigues me because it only involves the one-time expense for the receiver. So... how much better is HD radio than standard def? Does it provide the ability to pick up clear signals from stations that previously were out of range (i.e. pick up WLW in Louisville)? I spend most of my time on the AM side of the dial so thats my primary area of concern. Thanks for the help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: HD Radio???

I think I heard Seggy pass gas the other day.... Am I dissapointed, yes... Does it surprise me, no.
    No, but seriously, I've always wondered the appeal of HD radio, especially for AM talk radio. Does it help with reception? I can understand wanting to listen to music in HD kind of though. But is it that much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I think I heard Seggy pass gas the other day.... Am I dissapointed, yes... Does it surprise me, no.
    No, but seriously, I've always wondered the appeal of HD radio, especially for AM talk radio. Does it help with reception? I can understand wanting to listen to music in HD kind of though. But is it that much of a difference?
    My thoughts exactly. If it helps with the reception then it seems like a great idea. From perusing info at Best Buy, I've been able to gather that it has similar features to satellite in that it will display info about what you're listening to on the screen.

Also, I just saw where Best Buy was a CD player with an HD tuner and an audio input for MP3 players for less than $100. If its that cheap I might go for it. I need a new radio for my car anyway.

It seems that most CD players are going in the direction of HD tuners. Come to think of it, an HD tuner probably wouldn't be a bad add on because the prices have come down. I was thinking they were still one of things that you pay a lot more for as a luxury. I remember looking at CD players a couple weeks ago now that you mention it. I'm still trying to replace mine that was stolen. I think maybe only one or two were without HD capabilities at Circuit City. If it does help reception, it would definately be worth it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've had an HD radio for about 4 months. About half of the stations here broadcast in HD. Maybe 1/3 of that half are broadcasting alternate programming in addition to simulcasting their regular programming in HD.

The HD sound is a little better than FM and a lot better on AM.

The receivers will get cheaper. They're still kind of expensive now. Do some research on your favorite stations' web sites and see what they're doing with HD before you spend the money. IMHO, right now it's not worth spending money for an HD radio unless: you really like AM radio and want it to sound better; or the alternate programming on one of your HD stations is something you really want to hear.

The minimum of $100 that you spend on an HD receiver will buy you most of a year's subscription to Sirius or XM. If you want to hear something really different on your radio, that's a better investment.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-16-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    /r/reds

Is the reception better? I think that might be a deciding factor. Or is it about the same as far as how far the signal travels
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 10-16-2007 at 02:42 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Is the reception better? I think that might be a deciding factor. Or is it about the same as far as how far the signal travels
    No, it'll actually be worse. Digital signals are an all-or-nothing proposition. If you already get strong reception on analog, you'll get solid reception on digital. But if you are in a fringe reception area, instead of analog's static, you'll get dropouts... periods of no signal. If your radio detects too many dropouts within its 8-second buffer, you'll get nothing. It will indicate the presence of the digital signal, but it will refuse to lock on to it and stay with the noisy analog signal.

HD radio is not a solution for signal problems. If anything, you need more signal to receive HD, not less.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    No, it'll actually be worse. Digital signals are an all-or-nothing proposition. If you already get strong reception on analog, you'll get solid reception on digital. But if you are in a fringe reception area, instead of analog's static, you'll get dropouts... periods of no signal. If your radio detects too many dropouts within its 8-second buffer, you'll get nothing. It will indicate the presence of the digital signal, but it will refuse to lock on to it and stay with the noisy analog signal.

HD radio is not a solution for signal problems. If anything, you need more signal to receive HD, not less.
    Thats what I figured, much like Cable TV or Satalite. Eh, as a throw in, it sounds great on a CD player, but as an extra expense, I'll pass. Thanks for the info Unassisted.

Turn Off Ads?