Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

  1. #1
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,585

    Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Some scouting and other minor league personnel moves from the Reds today. This is from John Fay:

    The Reds today named Butch Baccala and Jeff Taylor Major League scouts, named Paul Pierson assistant director for player development and scouting, named Freddy Benavides minor league field coordinator and named Joe Katuska amateur scout.



    Benevides takes over Tim Naehring's job; Pierson Grant Griesser's. Both were in-house promotions.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Back in the early '90s, I always wondered why Freddie Benavides was on the Cincinnati Reds roster. Now I realize it was to open the door for him to be a minor league field coordinator with the team nearly 15 years later. Why do I get the feeling that Juan Castro has a similar future?

    Butch Baccala was drafted by the Phillies in the 12th round the same year I was born.

  4. #3
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Also found this nugget about Butch Baccala.

    1. Chris Gruler, rhp

    Age: 19. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 200. Drafted: HS–Brentwood, Calif., 2002 (1st round). Signed by: Butch Baccala.

    Background: The Reds were split on which high school pitcher to draft with the third overall pick in 2002: Gruler or Scott Kazmir. The consensus was that Kazmir had a higher ceiling, but his price tag was considered much higher as well.

  5. #4
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Also found this nugget about Butch Baccala.

    1. Chris Gruler, rhp

    Age: 19. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 200. Drafted: HS–Brentwood, Calif., 2002 (1st round). Signed by: Butch Baccala.

    Background: The Reds were split on which high school pitcher to draft with the third overall pick in 2002: Gruler or Scott Kazmir. The consensus was that Kazmir had a higher ceiling, but his price tag was considered much higher as well.
    Well, that's not a good start. I guess some of what figured into it was Carl Linder. Maybe the blame just got put on him.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  6. #5
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,703

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Back in the early '90s, I always wondered why Freddie Benavides was on the Cincinnati Reds roster. Now I realize it was to open the door for him to be a minor league field coordinator with the team nearly 15 years later. Why do I get the feeling that Juan Castro has a similar future?

    Butch Baccala was drafted by the Phillies in the 12th round the same year I was born.
    Juan Castro would make a fine roving minor league infield instructor.
    .

  7. #6
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Juan Castro would make a fine roving minor league infield instructor.
    He would be better at that then he is at hitting.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  8. #7
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,287

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Well, that's not a good start. I guess some of what figured into it was Carl Linder. Maybe the blame just got put on him.
    I think you're saying this, but my take would be that the final decision on which player to draft was not Baccala's call. His was to identify talent and the FO made their decision (at that time) based on the financial considerations. In retrospect, it's clear Kazmir would have been the better investment.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  9. #8
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think you're saying this, but my take would be that the final decision on which player to draft was not Baccala's call. His was to identify talent and the FO made their decision (at that time) based on the financial considerations. In retrospect, it's clear Kazmir would have been the better investment.

    Then again there is no way that Gruler can prove his case versus Kazmir. I know that is due to injury. Most likely Kaz would have proven to be better but it is truly sad that Gruler never saw the light of MLB due to injury's .
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,672

    Re: Scouting and other minor league personnel moves today

    It wasn't financial considerations for Kazmir. If I read that again, I am going to scream. Kazmir wasn't going to college. End of story. The Reds could have waited him out and signed him in November.

    Adam Dunn knew Kazmir personally and offered to help in negotiations.

    Gruler was that well liked.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25