Turn Off Ads?

Thread: GM Project 2007 - Washington Nationals

GM Project 2007 - Washington Nationals

Yes indeed kids, it's time for everyone's favorite dress up game - Pretend You're Jim Bowden. Now break out those leather pants and get to work.

2007 record 73-89, -110 run differential

Offense

673 runs (16th NL)
    .325 OB (12th NL)
    .390 SLG (15th NL)
    69-92 SB (11th NL)

Strengths:

Ryan Zimmerman (.788 OPS)
    Dmitri Young (.869 OPS)
    Ryan Church (.813 OPS)
    Austin Kearns (.766 OPS)
    Wily Mo Pena (.856 OPS)

Holes:

C
    SS
    CF

Pitching

4.58 ERA (10th NL)
    .339 OB (12th NL)
    .433 SLG (11th NL)
    .706 DER (6th MLB)

Strengths:

Shawn Hill (3.64 ERA, .661 OPS against)
    RH relief - Chad Cordero, Jon Rauch, Saul Rivera, Jesus Colome

Holes:

Rotation
    LH relief

Advanced Prospects

Collin Balester - P
    John Lannan - P
    Rogearvin Bernadina - OF (not a terribly fine prospect, but I love typing his name)
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GM Project 2007 - Washington Nationals

I'd develop a strong guilt over the Majweski situation and trade Zimmerman to the Reds in exchange for Ryan Freel and Juan Castro.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

When does that new stadium open? Andruw Jones for the first year that it does, he is overswinging so much now that he could still hit 30 homers there (he'll bat .190 doing it though).
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    When does that new stadium open?
    Supposedly it will be ready on opening day.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

The Nats are in a tough spot right now as they have little talent in the MLB, and it's just as bad in the minors. They have such a long way to go.

Firstly it should be noted that they have a terrific defense which is can make a major defense in a spacious park. Not sure if that's something that Jimbo set out to do, but it's definitely a trend that needs to continue for the Nats to piece together some half decent pitching over the next few years.

One of my main questions here is what is happening with Nick Johnson? If they plan on him being healthy, then he of course needs to be in the line-up at first. That means you have DaMeathook in left, with Kearns/Chruch in centre and Pena available for a spot. That really loeaves two options: use on of those guys as trade bait, or platoon Church and Pena. With Logan being a pretty awful replacement (even with solid fielding in centre) and the other guys having little trade value, I'd go with the platoon option. With that you have 3 pretty good outfield bats, however some ugly fielding, but the extra offensive value should be worth what is lost there. As I said, defense will be pretty darned important, but I think that would be the optimal value. I myself wouldn't have extended Young in the first palce, but that's no longer an option. Combine those 3 spots with Johnson and Zimmeran and you have the makings of a not so disgusting offense.

However, the Nats could be getting tired of gambling on Nick Johnson, and seeing that they do have a Dmitri Young to spare, they should explore moving him for some upper level pitching prospects. Johnson will have to be healthy for this, but he's about their only chance to get some top prospects.

That leaves the other 3 spots of Schneider at catcher, Guzman/Lopez at SS, and Belliard at second. Belliard has an affordable contract and was actually pretty decent last season, so I have no problem with him at the second base spot. At catcher, I think the Nats should explore getting rid of Schneider. In a thin catching market you may find a team willing to take on the remaining 10M over 2 seasons and try to use that money for pitching. They don't have many options at catcher, but I think Jesus Flores is promising enough to get an opportunity to show his stuff. He's 22, has great defensive skills and power upside. He could probably use some time in the minors which is now a possibility, but if you can dump Schneider now, I'd be prepared to give Flores 120+ starts behind the plate and see if he can be the long term solution there.

SS is a mess. Lopez has been a disaster in DC and Guzman just flat out stinks. We all know the story with Lopez, and he's arb. eligible. I'd be inclined to non-tender him since he will be due over 5M and is a terrible defender at short. Belliard has a superior season, is better defensively, and he's cheaper making him a logical option at second. Lopez has become superfluous in DC. Nobody's going to want to take on Guzman, and he still has defensive value, so I think he could be the best option at SS. Again, no young players ready to make the jump here, and his defense will help make up for part of the range problem in the OF. he's a terrible hitter, but he should be able top OPS .650 with decent defense. It's a thin FA market so he's likely the best option.

The starting pitching is going to be a major problem again. Hill should have a spot locked up. Patterson is injured, but should get a spot if he can get some health. If I'm Bowden I look at any pitcher with any kind of arm. Scott Olsen could be made available because of disciplinary issues, and the Nats can afford to take a risk on him. Daniel Cabrera should be available because of an increasing contract and the Nats should have enough money to take a chance on a guy like him. Carlos Silva could make sense because his HR problem would be greatly suppressed by RFK. With the defense a strength, Silva could be similar to what Livan Hernandez was for them. If there's a team that he makes sense for it's the Nats since they could make his in-play style a strength.

As a whole the Nats are in a tough spot. trying to rebuild with few tradeable commodities. They should be going bargain hunting all over the place. Luckily that's Bowden's specialty as he as usal showed the willingness to use any means to acquire talent (ex. Rule V).

So it's going to be tough to make overly drastic changes. Nick Johsnon seems like the only logical trade candidate that they would get anything for. They need starting pitching, and lots of it, and that needs to be their primary focus. Take a chance on struggling arms with upside, and they should make some strides there. They are looking atneeding 4 brand new starters assuming Patterson is hurt again, so they have plenty of opportunites. They need to do better than last season when guys like Williams, Speigner, Simontacchi, Bascik, were thrown out. Look younger and you may get rewarded for taking some lumps.

Great stuff, Austin Kearns. All speculation but I am learning a lot.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I could see the Nats having some lust for Jack Wilson.

Andruw Jones would make some sense from the perspective that the club is looking to land a big name free agent to coincide with the new park, but I think JimBo might have a bigger man crush on Torii Hunter.

There's some rumor that Tom Glavine might be headed down there, but why would he do that to himself?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Pretend You're Jim Bowden.
    I'd step down

1. With that huge park and a supposed commitment to spending a bit of coin, I'd address the pitching through the free agent market, with special emphasis on international signings.

2. Dmitri's value ain't gonna be this high again. If you can turn him into something that can stand on a major league mound without blushing, pull the trigger.

3. I'd hold on to Schneider, unless I could flip him and maybe a prospect for something like...

4. Our very own Jeff Keppinger, who'd be able to squeak by at SS with Zimmerman next to him, and whose bat would find a lot of gaps in that outfield. The same would be true of Hatteberg, who would be a nice Nick Johnson insurance policy. Not that I see Leatherpants and Krivsky making a deal...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I could see the Nats having some lust for Jack Wilson.

Andruw Jones would make some sense from the perspective that the club is looking to land a big name free agent to coincide with the new park, but I think JimBo might have a bigger man crush on Torii Hunter.

There's some rumor that Tom Glavine might be headed down there, but why would he do that to himself?
    That's true about Andruw Jones. It would also give them an extra OF'der to dangle for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Great stuff, Austin Kearns. All speculation but I am learning a lot.
    Thanks!

I'd move WMP to CF immediately, and consider moving Lopez either to another team or LF. His OB skills disappeared last season, but I see that as more of an overall bad year/fluke than anything else. I still see him as a .350-.370 OB guy that can get you upwards of 30 SB's There is value in that if you can mitigate his defensive deficiencies.

The OF is a tale of two halves. Pena is clearly a NL hitter, and Kearns had a solid second half. Both put up very similar numbers post ASB. Belliard is Brandon Phillips lite. decent contact hitter, doesn't walk a lot but just the tiniest bit of pop in his bat. Solid defender too.

SS is a black hole, and the only person they haven't tried there is me. Forget about offense, they need a glove there. Alex Gonzales perhaps?

I really kind of like their bullpen. Rauch/Cordero is a nice back end of the pen, and Cordero has a ton of trade value. Rauch too. Albaladejo is young, (14.1 IP) but good results so far. Chris Schroder has outstanding numbers for his sophomore season. Saul Rivera is playing lucky, and his lowish era won't hold up if he keeps walking so many batters.

Bergmann and Hill are two decent pieces to a rotation. The rest is dreck. Boy has Patterson just vanished from the face of the earth or what. If I'm JimBo, I'd offer Glavine a to year deal. I don't know how the new park is going to play, but I see a vast improvement in the Nats offense for 2008.

I'd also follow the Yankees lead and absolutely raid the independent leagues for talent. I'd sign nearly every top guy and release the crap end of the system. I'd also make a run for Dontrelle Willis. He's enough of a name to keep casual fans interested, and he needs a change of scenery.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    1. With that huge park and a supposed commitment to spending a bit of coin, I'd address the pitching through the free agent market, with special emphasis on international signings.

I think their new stadium is going to be smaller than RFK.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

By all means, if Glavine is willing to sign with them, they should do it.

I'm going to assume they raise the payroll with their new stadium.
    If they can't get a good FA starting pitcher, maybe they should target FA Bobby Abreau. It seems to me that while the Nats have a good quanity of OF, they would benefit from having a steady run producer out there. I don't know what the market for Abreau would be, but it's worth exploring. If he wants the 15 million he got last season, then forget it.. but it might actually be worthwhile to give him 8-9 million/year, since the Nats could really use his OBP and offense.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'd move WMP to CF immediately, and consider moving Lopez either to another team or LF.
    They'll be non tendering Lopez and Dmitri Young is the LF with Nick coming back.

They'll regret signing both Young and Belliard is my guess, and because of Young they'll likely move Church.

Turn Off Ads?