Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone happy?

Is anyone happy?

Man people on here are crying a lot. We must have no trust in our upper management. Dusty is a PROVEN winner. All everyone has focused on is a year in which two pitchers got hurt and all of a sudden its all Dusty's fault,,,,it can't be the mechanics or the fact that one had a prior surgery.

I just think that no one would be happy no matter who we would have hired.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is anyone happy?

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    ........... All everyone has focused on is a year in which two pitchers got hurt and all of a sudden its all Dusty's fault,,,,it can't be the mechanics or the fact that one had a prior surgery.

I just think that no one would be happy no matter who we would have hired.
    not true. DB's record over his four years with the Cub speaks for itself, dude.

what fun would it be if everyone were happy? this is great entertainment.
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post

It is great entertainment. I guess that the new press will spurr some more attendence at the games next year. That's probably what they were going for. I really don't understand why Daugherty wrote that Krivsky and Casillini thought the fans would love this move. I think that the innitial reaction when it got out that he was our top candidate should have stopped that. Am I suprised that people aren't happy? No. We were all spoiled with the Big Red Machine, and Sparky Anderson. I guess a solid manager is the key to a winning team, but a great manager, like Anderson, and like Pinella is the key to a championship.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Pinella is a great manager? hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    Pinella is a great manager? hmmmm
    why is anyone talking about Lou? let's go......
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

Senor Votto

I like that they're spending money on a manager finally and getting someone that's not already in the organization. I think this is a step in the right direction. At first I admit I didn't like it but I've came around. I'm hoping Dusty will change some people's opinions on here and for the better.

Dusty has about 9 million reasons to be happy.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Dusty has a winning pct. over .500, so technically he is a proven winner. This is a guy who gave Neifi Perez 572 AB's in 2005-his OBP that year .298, for his career .297. He also contributed in some way to the downfall of some very talented young pitchers (to what extent is debateable) but it's safe to say he didn't have a positive effect on them. His lineup construction and game management has consistently been at best questionable and in my opinion atrocious. He often takes the role of victim and has at one time or another blamed just about everybody for his team's woes including fans and broadcasters. According to some he chooses veterans over youngsters to a fault (see Neifi above) Not how I would describe a proven winner. In his defense people have said things like: some of those things in Chicago got overblown, or he handles big egos well, or players want to play for him. Those things are fine but I haven't heard anybody say anything like "he's a fine manager, he makes smart baseball moves, and helps develop young players by putting them in positions to succeed". If I heard things like that coming from Baker supporters I would be a little happier.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post

Wow. Since you so conveniently discard his winning seasons (which was most of them), let's discard the few bad ones with the Cubs...........I'm sure his winning percentage would increase tremendously over his already .527 winning percentage.

Rosenthal at Fox Sports is reporting that Krivsky and Castellini addressed the "working pitchers too hard" concern with Baker. Hopefully that will not be a problem at Cincinnati.

I have to admit that I wasn't initially pleased with the hire but I believe that will change. I'm already softening a bit. The front office went out and got a big name manager who has won in the past. We haven't had that kind of manager in Cincy for years.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Rosenthal at Fox Sports is reporting that Krivsky and Castellini addressed the "working pitchers too hard" concern with Baker. Hopefully that will not be a problem at Cincinnati.

I have to admit that I wasn't initially pleased with the hire but I believe that will change. I'm already softening a bit. The front office went out and got a big name manager who has won in the past. We haven't had that kind of manager in Cincy for years.

I agree. In no way are my posts to be taken as labeling Dusty as our saviour. But I'm tired of the Miley's, Narron's, and Mackanin's. We haven't caught lightning in a bottle and it's time to give a proven manager a chance. The last one's we had, Davey Johnson and Jack McKeon actually did pretty well. So let's give DB the benefit of the doubt since trying out unproven managers isn't working.

Just curious, what the heck do I have to be happy about?

Has anything that happened since the end of the season done anything to:

1) improve Dunn's give-a-damn in the field or his modify his approach with RISP?
    2) improved our relief corps? (although one could argue releasing Saarlos did)
    3) added starting pitching?
    4) create a mentality of clutch hitting like Arizona and Colorado have shown simply wins in the post season?
    5) Gotten my mind off how bad the Bengals stink? (although the Bears and Michigan have helped immensely).

No.

Then I guess I'm simply NOT happy ... yet. I'm squarely in wait and see mode, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    Just curious, what the heck do I have to be happy about?

Has anything that happened since the end of the season done anything to:

1) improve Dunn's give-a-damn in the field or his modify his approach with RISP?
    2) improved our relief corps? (although one could argue releasing Saarlos did)
    3) added starting pitching?
    4) create a mentality of clutch hitting like Arizona and Colorado have shown simply wins in the post season?
    5) Gotten my mind off how bad the Bengals stink? (although the Bears and Michigan have helped immensely).

No.

Then I guess I'm simply NOT happy ... yet. I'm squarely in wait and see mode, but I don't have to be happy about it.
    Most of the things you want couldn't happen yet, seeing as how some teams are still playing baseball. Give the FO time, getting a manager was merely the first step.

I am fairly happy about the Reds.

I am willing to take a wait and see attitude towards Dusty. Partly because there wasn't one single available candidate I could get excited about.

I am not happy with the choice for various reasons. But, hey, I'm a Reds fan first, and I can live with it. I guess that puts me in the "wait and see" column.

Turn Off Ads?