Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone happy?

Re: Is anyone happy?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Wow. Since you so conveniently discard his winning seasons (which was most of them), let's discard the few bad ones with the Cubs...........I'm sure his winning percentage would increase tremendously over his already .527 winning percentage.
    what have you done for me lately, dude?

it was a deliberate discard. follow the downward trend.
    Last edited by ThirdBaseCoach; 10-16-2007 at 05:50 PM.
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Most of the things you want couldn't happen yet, seeing as how some teams are still playing baseball. Give the FO time, getting a manager was merely the first step.
    That would be why I wrote the last two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    what have you done for me lately, dude?

it was a deliberate discard. follow the downward trend.
    I'm not your dude, dude.

I think most of us here are willing to give Dusty a chance, but he needs to show he has learned from some of his past mistakes. I really do hope he can lead us to the playoffs next year. It should not be too hard in the NL Central.

I just think that no one would be happy no matter who we would have hired.

I would have been happier if the Reds would have waited to see how the Torre situation pans out OR asked the Yankers permission to talk with him. From all I've heard over the last couple of days the Reds had pretty much set their sights on Baker since July and weren't even taking a hard look at anyone else. That is very disappointing.

I'm really unhappy with MLB in general. I hate the fact that they stuck the Reds in this God awful division with the Lovable Losers and their horrible fans. If that's not bad enough we also have the Cardinals and their uppity fans and announcers. I wish they would move the Reds back to the West and we could revisit the good old days of the rivalry with the Dodgers. I'd even take the East. At least we wouldn't have to endure all the drunk Cubs fans but once a year.

At first I was unsure about the hire, but now I am quite pleased. I just got this feeling dusty's gonna win here and that will make it twice as hard for the cubs fans to take. To me it shows that the front office is ready to make some moves to field a winning team, I am very excited about 2008.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    Dusty has a winning pct. over .500, so technically he is a proven winner. This is a guy who gave Neifi Perez 572 AB's in 2005-his OBP that year .298, for his career .297. He also contributed in some way to the downfall of some very talented young pitchers (to what extent is debateable) but it's safe to say he didn't have a positive effect on them. His lineup construction and game management has consistently been at best questionable and in my opinion atrocious. He often takes the role of victim and has at one time or another blamed just about everybody for his team's woes including fans and broadcasters. According to some he chooses veterans over youngsters to a fault (see Neifi above) Not how I would describe a proven winner. In his defense people have said things like: some of those things in Chicago got overblown, or he handles big egos well, or players want to play for him. Those things are fine but I haven't heard anybody say anything like "he's a fine manager, he makes smart baseball moves, and helps develop young players by putting them in positions to succeed". If I heard things like that coming from Baker supporters I would be a little happier.
    It's so easy to tell which people have actually had some experience watching Dusty in action. Great post.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I was totally against the hire at first, but after having a few days pass, I'm willing to give it a chance. Sure, I would have liked for them to wait a while to make a hire just to see who would have been available instead of hiring Baker so soon, but it's done deal now and something we have to live with.

I imagine we would not be Reds fans if we were happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I'm not your dude, dude.
    no, but you are DB's, bro.
    Work hard....Play hard.....Slide Hard

Turn Off Ads?