Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XM or Sirius

Re: XM or Sirius

With Season Approaching, 9 Million Sirius Subs Unable to Listen to MLB

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...dio&Itemid=123

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Satellite Radio XM 173 (WLW) No Longer Available

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Instead of getting a WiFi radio, stream WLW through the internet and use this in the house. You will plug the FM Transmitter into the PC speaker. You will then be able to tune any FM radio matching up to the FM transmitter. I have it. I am disappointed not having NO STATIC WLW in the truck any more though.
    ]
    I might be clueless on this but will this work since WLW in on AM??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    With Season Approaching, 9 Million Sirius Subs Unable to Listen to MLB

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...dio&Itemid=123
    For a media partner that seems to be hurting and on the verge of going under, you would think MLB would be doing anything it could to ensure that the partner survives the length of the agreement.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    For a media partner that seems to be hurting and on the verge of going under, you would think MLB would be doing anything it could to ensure that the partner survives the length of the agreement.
    The sports agreements didn't transfer with the merger. As an XM subscriber, I'd have to pay more to get NFL and NASCAR. Sirius subscribers have to pay more to get MLB.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The sports agreements didn't transfer with the merger. As an XM subscriber, I'd have to pay more to get NFL and NASCAR. Sirius subscribers have to pay more to get MLB.
    Yes, but I think one of the reasons why NFL and NASCAR have allowed Sirius to make their products available on XM without additional fees might have to do with trying to keep satellite radio afloat. Unless SiriusXM can find a way to cut costs without losing some of its more enticing offerings, like pro sports, there may not be a SiriusXM in a few years.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I was a little sad that XM dumped WLW this week. It was nice to be able to listen to the pre & post game shows - although I could do without Tracy Jones and Paul Daugherty.

But they've revamped the MLB Home Plate Network in a good way - adding some interesting hosts and dumping some lazy ones.

The Music transfer over to Sirius has gone better than I expected too. The only thing I miss is pre-transfer XM had two 90s Alt Rock stations and now they have one, but one is better than zero.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

MLB on XM has really declined in quality recently.....I have noticed during the Spring Training game coverage that the starts of games are missed by long commercial breaks and portions of games are blocked out by XM promos..just sloppy. Plus, I think XM isnt even airing all games that are available....the Home Plate channel (175) has really slipped since the departure of Charlie Steiner.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

One of the founders of Sirius is now saying that satellite radio is doomed. Competition from Internet radio will eventually swamp it.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    One of the founders of Sirius is now saying that satellite radio is doomed. Competition from Internet radio will eventually swamp it.
    What I don't understand is why SiriusXM is so intent on promoting its content rather than what it's true selling point would be, the ability to receive clear radio signals anywhere. If they could also add more channels dedicated to local traffic, I think they'd have a stronger selling point, at least for those who do a lot of driving. If the question is content, then they can't beat people downloading what they want from the internet. They need to promote the fact that you can't get internet radio in the car (not without a high-priced wireless account).

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They need to promote the fact that you can't get internet radio in the car (not without a high-priced wireless account).
    IMO, they know better than to promote that because it's only a matter of time before they're competing with Internet radio in the mobile space, too. I expect that inexpensive mobile Internet radio will be one of the uses for the vacated TV channel frequencies after the Digital TV transition is complete.
    /r/reds

Maybe one of the reasons satellite radio is hurting is their decision to overpay folks like Howard Stern. They didn't think $10mill was enough; they had to give him a couple hundred mill. That reeks of Wall Street level stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Maybe one of the reasons satellite radio is hurting is their decision to overpay folks like Howard Stern. They didn't think $10mill was enough; they had to give him a couple hundred mill. That reeks of Wall Street level stupidity
    That is true. If I were a Sirius shareholder, I'd wonder how Stern's relationship with Karmazin might have played into him sweetening the pot to that degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Most of that was paid in stock, not cash.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

XM Radio?

Just wondering how many of you subscribe to XM. Originally I did because I'm such a big baseball fan, but I'll be honest with you. The sports talk radio choices in Cincy are so lacking, that find myself listening to XM year round now.

Re: XM Radio?

I have sirius. I got it because I got 6 months fee with a new car purchase. I like it and I agree Cincinnati radio is awful.

Turn Off Ads?